PDA

View Full Version : Best Chain Saw Chain

mike lane lawn care
03-24-2010, 10:51 PM
So, it seems as if every time I turn around, my chain saw's chain is dull as a butter knife. I have replaced it a couple times with the custom cut chain my dealer makes. I don't use the saw all the time, just in the spring for cleanups really and maybe a little in the summer, which my dealer says is part of the problem, apparently it rusts and dulls as it sits for long periods of time. So what is the best chain to use?

theguynextdoor
03-25-2010, 01:13 AM
I know that the second your chain hits the dirt its dull so be careful of that. I buy the stihl ones for my 250ms which are expensive. A sharpened chain never seems as good as a new one and there is nothing like taking a new chain to a log. I'm interested to see if there are any better chains out there.
Posted via Mobile Device

albhb3
03-25-2010, 01:46 AM
I know that the second your chain hits the dirt its dull so be careful of that. I buy the stihl ones for my 250ms which are expensive. A sharpened chain never seems as good as a new one and there is nothing like taking a new chain to a log. I'm interested to see if there are any better chains out there.
Posted via Mobile Device

Exactly one and your done if you sharpen them correctly they will last a long time multiple big trees with no problems Im talkin 100-150+ yr old elms and oaks. Personally If you can sharpen them by hand I think is best. I can remember my great grandfather could make them razor sharp even at 83years old. I personally dont believe the dealer the saws we use bassicaly sit 8-9 months out of the year and are run whenever possible for 3-4 we put newly sharpened chains on when were done and there good to go come late spring

On a side note is your oiler working or could it be plugged up? Smoking a chain from heat is not good on the bar or chain.

MarkintheGarden
03-25-2010, 04:04 PM
I had an old craftsman chainsaw that ran great for years even though I abused it. That of course was an exception rather than the rule.

Stihl equipment is probably the best bang for the buck if not always the best machine out there.

I have gotten good at sharpening chain saw blades but it seems like it takes a lifetime to master.

Yes, an unused blade will become duller over time, but very slowly and I doubt that you could notice the change, I cannot.

IndianSprings
03-25-2010, 04:13 PM
Stihl chain is sharpest out of the box, use semi-chisel chain in dirty conditions, it will hold it's edge longer in dirty conditions than full chisel.
A good hand filer can sharpen chains sharper than a factory edge. We sell wood during the winter months and we usually buy Woodland Pro chains from Baileys, they are about half the price of Stihl, and are made by Carlton here in the USA. Go over to aboristsite.com and do a search on chains, there is a ton of good information over there for saw user's.

Nick's Lawn Care
03-25-2010, 04:20 PM
http://carbidechain.com/sabretoothcarbidechain.php

Expensive but well worth it... great for landscapers.

thesnowman269
03-25-2010, 04:27 PM
I use a round file I got from the dealer, just a quick pass every so often keeps the chain nice and sharp. Also letting the chain hit the ground is always a big no no. And you say the chain gets rusty?? thats odd because my saw sat all winter long and the chain looked brand new. Sounds like your chain isnt getting any oil?