PDA

View Full Version : Skid Steer per hour rate?

columbiaplower
06-22-2002, 12:10 AM
her my question- just picked up a fare amount of brush clearing. Thinking im gonna need a bobcat with a grappler on it. He told me he'd get a roll off dumpster and the bobcat taken care of. Id just have to show up do the work and leave. I figured id only need me and one man to dig junk out and to run my fs85 brush cutter. For the both of us $60 an hour???? Ive only done a little bit of loader work in the past and ive never done it by the hour.
Thanks
Nick

Lanelle
06-22-2002, 11:28 AM
What are you paying your man? Also, what do you figure you need an hour for yourself? I would think that you may be able to charge $65-70 depending on the situation. If the customer is clearly a DIY type, then $60 may be the limit. If he's thinking fifteen bucks an hour per man, you can smile as you walk away from his mess.

PAPS
06-22-2002, 05:58 PM
I get $75.00 per hour for the skid steer and operator for an hourly basis, or $450.00 for the day with an operator.

Stonehenge
06-22-2002, 07:10 PM
If he's supplying the equipment, then it's just a matter of a charge per man hour. That being the case, $30-40 per man/hour is a fair price.

However, is he renting the equipment, or does he own a skid steer? If he's renting it to save being charged by you for it, red flags should start going up. Bid it high.

MJ LANDSCAPING
08-25-2002, 09:24 PM
I use my CAT skid steer for jobs like that and I charge $450 per day for machine and operator or $80. per hour. You gotta pay for that machine and get every penny for it or let the customer do it himself. Thats my motto.

Mykster
08-26-2002, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by Lanelle
If the customer is clearly a DIY type.

Sorry for the stupid question but, what does DIY mean? I've heard this a few times on the boards.

Mataman
08-26-2002, 02:42 AM
DIY = Do it yourself, or Do it yourselfers

Turfdude
08-26-2002, 07:15 PM
I'm kinda surprised you guys can get $450/day w/ a skid steer. A full size 4 wheel drive front end loader w/ hoe goes for $400/day w/operator. I can sub my skid steer guy (limited attachments included forks, teeth) for $300/day. Maybe in another year or so - I'll bite the bullet and get one myself.

Bob

AGLA
08-26-2002, 09:31 PM
How much to charge can not be a standard rate. It is dependent on the operators ability.
As an example: I had a Keystone wall to build a few years ago. The guy that I always used charged $60/hr. The client insisted on his guy at $45/hr. After 8 hours of unskilled tooling around, I had to bring in my guy who fixed the other dudes mistakes and did my work in an hour and a half. The $45 an hour guy was not worth $25 no matter how much his overhead was.
If your operator is as good and efficient as the guys charging $75 then have at it, but if he is not, it is going to hurt your reputation to charge that.

paul
08-26-2002, 09:43 PM
Here union operators are getting $23 per hr plus benfits add on $2.50 per hour for insurance, another $2 per hour for fuel and tires, SS and medicare, then add in truck and trailer costs, ........ if your not getting $75 per hr or more your losing money.

Bad operators we send them back to the union hall...........

now that might be a good thread operator training???

kris
08-26-2002, 10:20 PM
I'm sorry Alga but I don't understand your post.... I have read most of your posts in total agreement and respect your opinion so please don't take this to heart.

Are you saying that you would quote on jobs depending on the experience of your workers? I don't see how this would work. If I were sending a man out on a hourly job I would make sure that they were competent. If it wasn't hourly (99% are not) you could take the time and let a inexperienced guy get the practice. The job would still be estimated on job site specifics not the workers experience. If the job goes over on hours because of inexperienced help then that's our problem, not the customers. Paul is in a totally different situation in that he is supposedly paying for experienced help from a union hall. They darn well better be worth their pay.

PAPS
08-27-2002, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by kris
I'm sorry Alga but I don't understand your post.... I have read most of your posts in total agreement and respect your opinion so please don't take this to heart.

Are you saying that you would quote on jobs depending on the experience of your workers? I don't see how this would work. If I were sending a man out on a hourly job I would make sure that they were competent. If it wasn't hourly (99% are not) you could take the time and let a inexperienced guy get the practice. The job would still be estimated on job site specifics not the workers experience. If the job goes over on hours because of inexperienced help then that's our problem, not the customers. Paul is in a totally different situation in that he is supposedly paying for experienced help from a union hall. They darn well better be worth their pay.

No he is saying that sometimes its worth the extra money to pay for a skidsteer if the operator is quality... no sense in thrwoing away $45/hr when the guy running the machine has no clue, when you can get a quality operator at $65/hr.

AGLA
08-27-2002, 07:02 PM
Yes, PAPS simplified my babble. The hourly rates were in Idaho six or seven years ago, but substitute what you will.
What I'm getting at is that I don't think that in a competitive market standard prices are realistic. Should the guy running a 48" hydro charge the same hourly rate as a guy with a 48" old Exmark belt drive? Should a designer that is stumbling through using his new cad system charge the same rate as the guy that is in full command of it?
Some lowballers are just people that are charging what THEY are worth. If they tried to charge what you are worth, they would have no work.
Many people think that there should be industry standards for what to charge. I do not. I like the free market where granny can pay the guy with the Craftsman in his trunk $10 for the grass to get knocked down because that is all she wants. The guy next door wants a professional job and pays $40 for the same size lawn to be mowed. They are both getting what they want and are happy with the cost and result. One guy gets a couple extra dollars to help his family out and another guy is growing his business. Everyone wins.
My opinion, not fact.
If both were to charge $30 per mow, Granny would be eating dog food, the neighbor would be bitching that his lawn could look better, the lowballer's family would struggle on a little less, and the pro would be growing his business a little faster ...until a better guy comes along and snags them both for $30.
If you out perform your competition on the playing field of your choice you will do fine. That means that the lowballer should stick with those kind of jobs and the highender should not worry about getting the lowballers clients.

SIG
08-28-2002, 12:05 PM
AGLA, Well put!