PDA

View Full Version : Avoid Credit Card Processing Fees / Wait Time

JimLewis
03-25-2010, 12:57 AM
Well, if you do a large volume of landscaping and/or hardscaping you probably have found like I have that you pretty much have to be set up to take credit cards. There are certain people who just won't hire you if you don't.

But nobody likes paying the credit card processing fees or waiting a few days to get paid either. It's just nicer and a whole lot easier to just get a check, right? If you disagree, I guess this isn't the thread for you. Move on... :laugh:

Anyway, last fall I started changing the way I do my bids. And the result is about a 90% decrease in the amount of people who pay me with credit card now. We used to have a lot of customers pay with credit card - "just so I can get the airline miles", they'd say. But now that I've changed my bids we almost never have anyone pay by credit card anymore.

So what I did was increase my labor on every bid so that it made the bid about 3% more than it would have been. Then I add in a line with a "3% Cash Discount" price - as in the photo below. What do you know? Now everyone wants to pay by check instead of credit card! It has helped improve cash flow and no credit card fees to pay. I'm still making the rate I wanted to make (because I have increased the labor accordingly) but now I don't have to lose 2-3% if they pay by credit card.

You gotta be careful how you do this. You can't say, "Yah, we take credit cards, but it costs 3% more." That's against your Terms of Service. But you CAN offer a "cash discount". So that's the way around it. Just thought I'd share it with you. I wish I had implemented this years ago. It's pretty nice to hardly ever have to process a credit card anymore.

XeriCare
04-06-2010, 03:51 PM
Good Post, I will use this one...

Gurp
04-14-2010, 01:08 PM
Yup, excellent post......has me thinking....