PDA

View Full Version : Mulch Capacity Yardage

pblc
03-25-2010, 12:43 AM
Hey guys:

Odd title I know but I had to get yall's attention. We've got a 4320 Deere with a 400 cx loader and standard bucket. Does anyone have one of these tractors or now how many yards that bucket is? I'm thinking it's 0.5 by our measurements - but I'd like to get a second opinion. We could really be screwing ourselves, or the clients, on mulch pricing if i'm wrong. Thanks.

:usflag:

AGLA
03-25-2010, 07:18 AM
Take your normal bucket load and dump it in a pile. Get a 30 gallon trash can and see how many times you can fill it (ie, 3.25) and multiply that number by the 30 gallons of the trash can to give you total gallons. Divide by 7.5 and that will give you cubic feet. Divide that by 27 and that will give you cubic yards.

Crash
04-05-2010, 10:58 PM
Or you could get some wood and a drill and build a 3x3x3 box and see how much it takes to fill it up...I'm guessing it's 1 scoop=half a yard.

AGLA
04-06-2010, 07:07 AM
That would work, too, but I'd bet you'd be done filling trash cans before you ot all the tools out to make the box.

GrazerZ
04-07-2010, 07:29 AM
call john deere, they will tell you.

ARGOS
04-08-2010, 02:05 AM
I'm a little confused. You measured the bucket? Is the question math?

ajslands
04-08-2010, 02:13 AM
It's probaly like 1/3 of a yard or maybe 1/2
Posted via Mobile Device

AGLA
04-08-2010, 06:58 AM
What is important is not what the actual bucket size is, but what is getting loaded into the truck. A heaping scoop of mulch is not the size same as the bucket. In five minutes anyone can grab a trash barrel, read how many gallons it is (most are 32), dump a scoop of mulch in and around it, dump it out a few feet away, continue to fill it, count how many times (ie, six and a third times), multiply by 32 gallons, divide by 7.5 (gallons per cubic foot), and divide by 27 (cubic feet in a cubic yard). Its pretty simple.

MarcSmith
04-08-2010, 07:35 AM
you can easily figure out the capacity by treating the bucket like a prism and using this formula...

Volume= area of the side of the bucket X length.

or you could fill it with water and count the number of gallons it takes to fill it and then convert....from gallons to yards...

the other thing that causes a variance in mulch is compression. you run into the pile hard you end up compressing mulch and thus getting more into the bucket.

http://www.deere.com/en_US/cfd/construction/deere_const/skidsteers/skidsteer_attachments/media/pdfs/DKABKTCWP.pdf

her e is a site from JD that list several bucket types sizes and volumes for skid loaders... they also show heaped measurements...

Woodland
04-08-2010, 08:29 AM
I'm a little confused. You measured the bucket? Is the question math?

I'm not sure what you have for a bucket, but mine has a lot of angles that makes the math hard! The literature for the loader says "a slightly rounded bucket full" equals approximately 1/3 of a yard"!!! When the customer cares, we sell mulch by the bucket full and tell them that it is approximately.....

AGLA
04-08-2010, 09:10 PM
It is not about calculating the bucket. It is about calculating how much mulch is heaped up and getting loaded in order to sell it at the proper volume! The only way to do that is to scoop it up under the same conditions that it is going to get scooped up when selling it. Then dump it and measure it.

... the next question is whether you are getting the same volume of much delivered to you that you are paying for?

MarcSmith
04-08-2010, 09:46 PM
is it wet mulch? that changes things.....how high is the heap? all sorts of variables can change mow much mulch you scoop,

I had set up bins at TGLC and measured out the volume such that each time a truck dropped a load I could move the mulch around and estimate the load...keep an eye on the supplier...I even would climb up and look into the trailer before they dumped...

knowing how much the bucket can hold is valuable information, and is easy to come by.