PDA

View Full Version : Recycled Asphalt for Base

traderfjp
03-25-2010, 08:02 AM
I have a 2,000 sq, ft. driveway and when I pulled some of it up the driveway just fell apart. I was thinking of making a pile and drivng over it with a bobcat to make smaller pieces. Then go down about 12" and spread out the driveway material and then lay road base on that. Is there any reason not to do this?

PatriotLandscape
03-26-2010, 07:41 AM
several.

the broken asphalt add no structure. will work against you for drainage. it isnt a standard practice. adds more work to a job. adds more labor.

traderfjp
03-26-2010, 07:52 AM
This was a bad idea. It's all getting ripped out.

AbbottCon.
03-26-2010, 08:47 AM
wrap or recycled asphalt is fine base but it needs to be processed at the plant first. its a cheaper solution to dense grade but shouldnt be laid thicker then 4 inches or it becomes very hard to get proper compaction. drainage isnt an issue though because asphalt is a non permeable surface anyway

traderfjp
03-30-2010, 02:29 AM
I'm ripping out the driveway tomorrow. I can get RCA which is a mix of asphalt and concrete. They also have just crushed concrete for a little more. What would make a better base?

ryde307
03-30-2010, 08:03 PM
I have used road millings (concrete and asphault) for base many times. I live in a well populated area with money so landscape suppliers are everywhere but we also have 2 huge paving companies within 10 miles. There milling are half the price of red rock base its an easy choice for us.

PatriotLandscape
03-30-2010, 10:06 PM
that doesn't mean what you are buying meets spec. millings often don't.