PDA

View Full Version : Dropping fert w/dimension in 30 degree temps?

TurfRyder
03-25-2010, 08:57 AM
Today we will have highs in the mid 30's with wind gusts to 28 MPH. The company I work for wants me to drop some fert with dimension in these conditions.

Would you do it? Will the grass be O.K. with the machine running over it?

Grandview
03-25-2010, 10:05 AM
If you do not leave ruts you will be OK. I plan to start the first full week of April. Temps might not be any better then.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
03-25-2010, 10:10 AM
Ryder - you are too early. Dropping fert in the wind is not an issue. But why apply Dimension this early, there is no way your soil temps are anywhere near 55. We are on the same parallel as you roughly and lawns fully dormant here. Trugreen isn't even out yet.

Your Dimension won't even last until July 4th applying this early. Maybe look at going straight fert right now.

Young Bros
03-25-2010, 10:36 AM
28 mph may move your granulars and stripe the lawns. Be careful of using a ride on in that temp as the grass blades may brake if frozen. Saw another company do that and the lines where they drove were there for weeks.

TurfRyder
03-25-2010, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the responses guys!

I am just going to make up the hours on a better day. I know its too early to be laying down the dimension but I don't make those calls.

RigglePLC
03-25-2010, 02:53 PM
Do you have enough time to finish you crabgrass control by May 15? If you have to start eary--do it. Cold will not hurt it. Be sure to use the recommended amount for your area. Decomposition of the chemistry will be slow if soil is cold.

Marcos
03-25-2010, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the responses guys!

I am just going to make up the hours on a better day. I know its too early to be laying down the dimension but I don't make those calls.

Tell your boss to bag the Dimension & begin to focus on what REALLY keeps weeds in check & under control:

Thick, healthy, culturally-maintained turf in biologically active soil

See how that flies with 'im!! :)

Greenery
03-25-2010, 07:27 PM
Tell your boss to bag the Dimension & begin to focus on what REALLY keeps weeds in check & under control:

Thick, healthy, culturally-maintained turf in biologically active soil

See how that flies with 'im!! :)

It's nice to see you come out of your little organic hole to provide such useful information here and there.

grassman177
03-25-2010, 08:34 PM
yup, the most useful info there is on this site. always comes from marcos. hahahha

said it b4, you are going to have a very healthy stand of grass, but still without crabgrass prevention it will happen in some areas and that is not acceptable in lawn care so it is then a necessity for that purpose. i have super thick lawns and they have very little weeds, but they would still get some and gotta kill them with something and liquid kelp etc aint gonna do it!

americanlawn
03-25-2010, 09:25 PM
Once you apply Dimension, the clock starts ticking regarding breakdown. Barricade does not break down until soil temps get warm. When we use Dimension, we usually apply it beginning April 1st thru the end of May. Two app's on thin lawns. Our 2 cents.

Marcos
03-26-2010, 03:32 PM
said it b4, you are going to have a very healthy stand of grass, but still without crabgrass prevention it will happen in some areas and that is not acceptable in lawn care so it is then a necessity for that purpose. i have super thick lawns and they have very little weeds, but they would still get some and gotta kill them with something and liquid kelp etc aint gonna do it!

Then how can you explain the 50+ continuous customers we've managed organically for 7+ years that never, yes I said NEVER have weeds, whose only weed prevention application is corn gluten meal along hard surface sidewalk & driveway perimeters, etc?

Maybe you need to do some early fall seeding work & pay attention to the SOIL for a change, on those "super thick lawns" of yours, grassman! :waving:

grassman177
03-27-2010, 12:20 AM
it is the edges mostly i am talking about. they will get crabgrass in summer in our hot and dry normal summers garuanteed without a pre, and of course you are doing the same thing with gluten, so no difference except semi natural and synthetic contro of the same issue. i do two apps of a liquid organic P-K-Fe-micros and humic/fulvic acids. this makes a huge difference.

and you can never convince me that those lawns have no weeds at all, it is not even possible, against mother nature for them to not happen at all. at one time, a synthetic weed control HAD to be applied , then the lawn and soil were well taken care of after that to maintain, but still a few weeds have to happen, especially in our area, the soil varies greatly in ones own yard that not many are going to pay the $$$$ it takes to turely remedy this, it would require some of it to be removed and replaces as it is subsoil at best with poor CEC and structure to boot. you cant just "fix" this with orgainics alone. yousee my point! all the guys here basically tell customers if you truely want chemical free lawns, you sill have to endure some weeds.

mdlwn1
03-27-2010, 02:14 PM
Ryder - you are too early. Dropping fert in the wind is not an issue. But why apply Dimension this early, there is no way your soil temps are anywhere near 55. We are on the same parallel as you roughly and lawns fully dormant here. Trugreen isn't even out yet.

Your Dimension won't even last until July 4th applying this early. Maybe look at going straight fert right now.

Ill never understand why guys use dimension for anything other than early post. It's realatively weak and VERY short lived. Most guys have used barricade for about 15 years now....cracks me up every time I hear people using dimension.

Marcos
03-27-2010, 03:01 PM
it is the edges mostly i am talking about. they will get crabgrass in summer in our hot and dry normal summers garuanteed without a pre, and of course you are doing the same thing with gluten, so no difference except semi natural and synthetic contro of the same issue. i do two apps of a liquid organic P-K-Fe-micros and humic/fulvic acids. this makes a huge difference.

You're giving your pre-emergent WAY, WAY too much credit for control of weeds along these edges, grassman! :laugh:

Do we apply corn gluten meal with the expectation that it's going to control weeds along these edges?
No, we don't!
More likely than not, these edges would be fine without it.
We merely apply it as if it's an extra layer of insurance.

Edges tend to get a lot weeds more because:

1) edges generally dry out faster than the turf around them because of the warmer concrete /asphalt, etc.
Thus soil may crack & weed seed can geminate more readily.

2) they tend to get more abuse from all sorts of traffic, thus compaction.

3) DIY homeowners and many pros, too don't know how to edge properly.
Many don't have the right kind of equipment. Or if they do, they've never been trained properly by the right people as to how to use them.
Grass at edges should be kept maintained at the exact same height as the rest of the lawn.

4) the timing of edging is often wrong, particularly the first edging of the season. Applicators need to know how to take best advantage of their pre-emergent, be it corn gluten meal (CGM), Dimension, or whatever.

The best practice is having the most aggressive vertical-blade sidewalk edging done VERY EARLY in the season like right about now, just prior to the perimeter edge pre-emergent application (again, we use corn gluten meal as the aforementioned insurance policy, of sorts).
Then from that point on, until the end of the summer, for their own good we express to every client in writing very strongly, or to pass along to their respective mowing contractors:
IN ORDER TO HELP PREVENT CRABGRASS & OTHER WEEDS FROM EMERGING, NO MORE EDGER BLADE -SOIL CONTACT ALONG SIDEWALKS & DRIVEWAYS, PLEASE! :waving:

TurfRyder
03-29-2010, 10:26 PM
I still get crab grass along the edges every year even though I target those areas. If it was my choice I would overseed every year and skip the Dimension as most of my turf areas are very well established and I have never had crab grass appear areas other than edges. I don't know if it's from the application each year or the healthy turf not allowing germination of the crab grass.