PDA

View Full Version : Newspaper or Doorhanger?

Lasko's Lawn Service
03-25-2010, 09:15 AM
Have you guys got a better response from doorhangers or newspaper inserts? I can get 5000 paper inserts for just about the same price as 1000 doorhangers. Sheer numbers seem like a better percentage of new accounts plus the time saved from distribution. However, I've never done either for fert/squirt accounts. What kind of success am I looking at?

Young Bros
03-25-2010, 09:33 AM
Our door hangers or mailings bring in 1%. Have not been able to track paper that good cause we did limited paper ads.

jasontimm
03-25-2010, 09:45 AM
we have never had good luck with the paper, after spending around a grand worth of adds over the years i think we got our first customer from the paper yesterday.
add in paper= wast of money

Young Bros
03-25-2010, 09:49 AM
We did trade out for radio ads and got only a couple estimates. I think the paper, door hangers, and radio dont lead to a lot of sales. What I believe it does is spread your name. At TG they said we had to get our name in front of the person 3 times before they would buy. So when they have the urge to pick up the yellow pages for lawn care, they might recognize your company. You ask them where they got your name and they say the yellow pages. Or when you knock on their door to sell them at least they might have heard of you company.

Lasko's Lawn Service
03-25-2010, 10:32 AM
Well since this is my first year offering the service, I'm realistic about my success. My goal is to pay off my equipment this year. Next year I would like to double my accounts that I currently have. I'm trying to move to all fert/squirt accounts as opposed to mowing/landscaping within 3-4 years. But if you had to pick, would you go with doorhangers or newspaper inserts?

naughty62
03-25-2010, 11:49 AM
Yellow pages .Have a newspaper add template made up ,so you can call it in when needed .I hate doing hangers.word of mouth seems the best.Boss drums up a lot of bussiness by eating breakfast out and suppers a couple times a week.The all you can eat buffetspecial really draws a crowd:laugh:When the D.I.Y.fever sets in I spend, saturday mornings doing maintaince and spraying around the box stores, garden centers ect,ect .We have better sucess with one on one contact than telephone bids .

Lawn Enforcer
03-25-2010, 12:09 PM
I can't say that newspapers bring a lot of business in, but they bring your company up to the understanding status (people know who you are, what you do, how to contact you, etc.) It gets your name out there. Most of my business (besides word of mouth) comes from fliers in gas stations, bars, grocery stores, etc.

RigglePLC
03-25-2010, 01:27 PM
If you can think of a way they would keep and hold your brochure or door hanger before that from any other company--that would be a big plus. Can you print a calender on it? Gardening calender? Ruler to measure cutting height? Guide to the main weeds? Picture of poison ivy? HS baseball schedule? 3 most destructive insects? Hang this in your garage or on your frig. Fold here to make a paper airplane? Place tobacco here and roll carefully. Fold here to line birdcage--whatever it takes! LOL!