PDA

View Full Version : Contemplating Mole Control

GREENITUP
03-25-2010, 11:03 AM
So I've been ferting and squirting for a while and every year I get asked to treat/trap for moles.... and turn them down. I get asked about grub treatments for this - but I only do it if there are enough to cause turf root damage. I am thinking about offering Mole treatments because I hear you can make big $$ - I would use Talpirid and from what I can tell, it will be a three visit process. So my questions are : does anyone use traps at the same time (since you will be going back anyway)? if so, what type? and how do you charge? set a minimum and go up by square foot or by the number of baits? sorry for the long post.:confused:

kirk1701
03-25-2010, 11:42 AM
Talpirid would probably be your best bet but at the same time your, like you say going to be making several trips anyhow and the first one just to find out where the active runs are before you even bait the runs.

See the mole thread which is about 8 pages long in this forum, links to the traps are there I have been using with great success and pic's included.

Just depends on how many customers at one time your going to have to know how many traps your going to need and whether the expense of the traps are going to pay off in the long run?

RigglePLC
03-25-2010, 01:46 PM
You should not need three trips. One time often works. If they eat the bait--dead.

GREENITUP
03-25-2010, 02:43 PM
thanks Kirk. i did search and read that post the other day - good information. Those traps are like $25 each on ebay now..... kinda high, but if they work (and nobody steals them) it would be worth it. So do you put a trap on every active tunnel?? about how many traps would you use on an average yard?
Riggle - if there are 20 lines in a yard when you get there and you don't test which ones are active....would you bait them all if only making 1 trip? that sounds kinda expensive? how would you cost that?

IndianSprings
03-25-2010, 03:07 PM
I've had great results killing moles by taking highway emergency road flares and lighting them and sticking them in the moles runs and covering them up, the toxic fumes from the chemical fire travels down the run and kills them.
Cheap quick and effective.

TL1981
03-25-2010, 04:07 PM
I have just started doing mole control and got many calls when the ground temp was too cool (early March) to use Talpirid so I have been using traps with good success. I will probably continue to use traps in conjuction with Talpirid once the ground temp is right. Like you mentioned several trips will be made and the first trip is to mark runs so why not take that time to set some traps also? Then when you go back on the 2nd trip to locate the active runs you can check the traps... it's just a little pre-insurance in my mind.

I've had great results killing moles by taking highway emergency road flares and lighting them and sticking them in the moles runs and covering them up, the toxic fumes from the chemical fire travels down the run and kills them.
Cheap quick and effective.

May work until the customer notices smoke coming up in the house! They may have tunnels under the house... ;)

Think Green
03-25-2010, 07:55 PM
I am curious to ask this question!
In Arkansas, you must be licensed in trapping to catch and remove or displace rodents and nuisance animals. IS this not a requirement in your state or other neighboring states??
Talpirid is a good product if used correctly and not handle the bait with human smelling equipment. However, you sign into agreements to kill, remove and control these pests, you better get rid of them. It is a money maker by far, as long as the customer sees results. For us, the only time the customer called is when the lawn damage was that of Vietnamese bunkers..................too many to count and the damage was too extensive.
As long as the cow is producing milk, then grab a bucket and start pulling.

Smoke bombs are great for frontal acreage lawns and the worry of under the house tunnels is not a problem.
I seem to remember a thread about a Pest Company getting into trouble with gaseous chemicals being misused around the home. Bad things can only come from it!!

thempikes
03-25-2010, 09:36 PM
We tried mole controls for a couple of years. Used Kaput and then talprid.

We had to go back almost every time. Main problem was the encroachment from neighbors lawns. Customer blames us cause he still has moles. And it cost us good will and time/money to retreat.

Felt we were not giving the customers value for their money so we dropped it. I have suggested a couple of people in my area that trap.
Also have suggested the customer load a shotgun LOL.

RigglePLC
03-25-2010, 10:37 PM
In theory moles are territorial. You should have only about one mole in a hundred foot circle. They will fight to defend their yard--unless attracted to the female during February mating season. You want to put the bait or trap nearest the nest or lacking that, in the fresh, most active run--a tunnel that is used every day. The bearclaw traps are favored by the professionals--About six bucks. Cheap--don't worry if you lose a few. License is a bit of a gray area--technically you need a vertebrate control category license, but the rat control people are seldom interested in this type of job.

kirk1701
03-26-2010, 12:18 AM
thanks Kirk. i did search and read that post the other day - good information. Those traps are like $25 each on ebay now..... kinda high, but if they work (and nobody steals them) it would be worth it. So do you put a trap on every active tunnel?? about how many traps would you use on an average yard?
Riggle - if there are 20 lines in a yard when you get there and you don't test which ones are active....would you bait them all if only making 1 trip? that sounds kinda expensive? how would you cost that?

Yea that is true "IF nobody steels them"
I don't have to worry about that seeing its just my yard :drinkup:

So I check the side I have activity on pretty much on a daily basis if not every other day at least. I see any activity I treat it as an active run since its a new run.

GREENITUP
03-26-2010, 08:53 AM
"The bearclaw traps are favored by the professionals--About six bucks. Cheap--don't worry if you lose a few. License is a bit of a gray area--technically you need a vertebrate control category license, but the rat control people are seldom interested in this type of job. "
Riggle,
What is a bearclaw trap? do you have a pic or website I could see one on?

RigglePLC
03-26-2010, 02:23 PM
Greenit up,
Ok, I found it. It is actually the Victor Out of Sight moletrap. Takes a couple minutes to learn how to set it. This site has four kinds of traps.
http://www.pcsoutdoors.com/molecontrol.aspx

METRO FS
05-19-2010, 05:21 PM
"In Arkansas, you must be licensed in trapping to catch and remove or displace rodents and nuisance animals. IS this not a requirement in your state or other neighboring states??"

Good question. I currently provide mole control services in SW Missouri, NE Oklahoma and NW Arkansas. In regards to moles there is no special permit or license needed to trap moles in Arkansas. However, it is illegal to use poisons in an attempt to kill them. AGFC (Arkansas Game & Fish Commission) regulations state that "Rodenticides may be used to control mice and rats, but poisons or chemicals may not be used to kill any other animal ". This means that it is illegal to use Talpirid, Tomcat or other types of poisons to help control your mole problems. Even though it is on the shelves for sale it is still illegal to use in this manner. Please proceed with caution if you or your current service provider are doing this. For more information on moles and how to get rid of them please visit my website.