PDA

View Full Version : Questions for licensed Illinois applicators

rlong97150
03-25-2010, 11:16 AM
What am I getting myself into? Anything I need to focus on or be aware of? I have signed up for the online classes and have the turf grasses manual and workbook in hand. Do the online classes and turf studies go hand in hand or is the class for the general knowledge and turf study a separate module?

Looking to hear experiences and lessons learned. I am all about doing this the right way the first time. I dont currently offer the services nor have the equipment or chemicals so I am starting with a clean slate.

Thanks,

Bob

TCP1
03-25-2010, 02:21 PM
They are separate tests...general applicators test and the turf test.....you have to pass t he general with at least 70 percent right...before you can take any of the supplemental tests like turf or aquatics right or ways, etc.
If you study the details or if you have a good knowledge of weeds, turf, math, and applications the tests are no problem. Im glad i went to the classes, because even though I thought I knew quite a bit AND I studied the manual before the classes, the instructors made things clear and answered questions. They highlighted everything that would be on the tests. Mainly they focus on safety and environmental issues so you know why you're doing what youre doing with regard to quantities of products and chemicals and conditions when you put them down. Very sensible stuff.

mikesturf
03-26-2010, 07:04 AM
There is a 4 hour morning class given before the afternoon test. You will learn a lot from the instructors, they are very good. Take notes during and review the notes at lunch time. I've taken the tests 3 times (every 3 years) and have scored in the 90s every time, so its not that hard (you need a 70 to pass). Just review the material and you will do fine.

rlong97150
03-26-2010, 07:43 AM
Thanks for the information.

I know that the tests are given in Springfield and Dekalb every Tuesday and Thursday. Does that mean there is a morning class before every test? In looking at the schedule for classes, seemed like most finished up by the end of March. Thats why I signed up for the on-line classes.

Thanks

Bob

mikesturf
03-26-2010, 07:53 AM
I took my test in Rockford this month. They offer classes/tests every week or so in various areas of the state. You can call 217-785-2427 IDR for more class location info.