PDA

View Full Version : pruning contract - good or bad idea?

grassmasterswilson
03-25-2010, 11:42 AM
I am currently researching the possibility of offering pruning contracts. I would need to hire a knowledgeable persone who could identify and know how to maintain plants. Figured this would lead to landscapeing jobs and i have a pest. liscense so fertilizing and disease control would not be out of the question.

Maybe charge by the hour or visit i don't know. if they agree then initially you could charge a "setup" fee for identifing and drawing locations of plants. Then Was thinking you could go x number of times a year and prune only what needed pruning.

What do you guys think? Would this be worth it? Just a thought right now.

MarkintheGarden
03-25-2010, 02:31 PM
Yes, it is a good idea to schedule maintenance on yearly basis and by contract or written agreement (if this is what you mean).

It is not always easy to predict the needs and the costs but when you can it works best for everyone.

Otherwise, the customer might wait till it is too late to do the pruning, or you have to visit, provide an estimate, wait for them to get back to you with the "go ahead" and then you are trying to squeeze it into the schedule.

Once you become familiar with the property, and the maintenance needs putting it all on contracted scheduled visits works great.

jsf343
03-25-2010, 05:11 PM
I understand what you are trying to do and in most cases I would say it probably is a good idea, in fact we contimplated it last year. However, in this economy I think you really need to take a very hard look at it before doing it. You are going to add a lot more wage, gas, insurance, maybe dump fees and who knows what else.

I guess what I am saying is for us it was easier to add the service (up sell) to existing customers and try to make money that way. This way I didn't have to fight to find work to keep this guy employed. Right now work is ok and it is slowly picking up, but this summer who knows, things look like they are going to slow down again (wife works for the state employment office).

Anyway just my thoughts and what we ended up doing.