PDA

View Full Version : Frost Damage

xtremelawn
03-25-2010, 07:56 PM
I live in Texas so having snow and frost damage is new to me. Over the next couple of weeks i am scheduled to put out a treatment of A Pre-M and Momentum Fx for any broad leaf weeds. My question is if the turf is stressed or damaged from the frost and snow should I still do the treatment as scheduled?

Thanks

Think Green
03-26-2010, 09:55 PM
What type of grass?
Either way, we have pretty much scalped back the bermuda's and Zoysia's to an inch. This way we can get the 3- way material to the weeds. Any and all injured turf is cut away for regrowth to emerge. Barricade applied to the soil is easier for us. To me it is like cutting back liriope in the spring time.
I had one St. Auggie lawn 3 years ago, and we cut it back after the winter injured it and everything recovered just fine. I can't elaborate on Centipede though as this turf is not in my memory for services.

xtremelawn
03-26-2010, 10:43 PM
We have Bermuda And St. Aug. In the lawns that have damage do you recommend still doing the Pre-M "Aquacap". We have very few broadleaf weeds so I think we will pull the Momentum from the tank and just spot treat as needed. We have cut all lawns to around 1".

Thanks for the help

Think Green
03-27-2010, 01:50 PM
We have damaged bermuda's and zoysia's so after cutting them back, it was easier to get the pre and post emerge's to where they need to be. As far as the damage to the turf and possible root damage, pendi will delay green up, so administer fert on your next available trip. We will start to granular fert around April 1st. here. The customer has to understand that there is some winter injury, especially in your area. Educating them that with such extreme colds and damage, the turf will have suffered some damage. Assure them that the pre and post emerge's will ****** the green out effect but with fert the turf will recover.............especially the bermuda. The recovery effect will take longer without the presence of watering systems as most customers will rely on mother nature to water their turf. The ST. Auggie, may have to be thatched and dead removed before the ferts. It is your best call since you know your season and turf grass.
I wish you all the best of luck!!

xtremelawn
03-29-2010, 01:15 AM
Thanks for all of you help.