PDA

View Full Version : Grass on a hill

tlhiv
03-25-2010, 07:03 PM
I am trying to get Centipede grass to thrive on the side of a hill. This hill not steep enough to where a riding mower is unsafe cutting on it, but it is steep enough to where the grass is not thriving.

The grass that is on the hill was laid from sod about 3 years ago, and it is certainly not dead because it grows slightly during the Spring-Fall growing season. However, this grass appears to be struggling to obtain nutrition and thus is a light green to brown color during this growing season. The same kind of sod that was laid at the same time from the same company just above this hill is thriving fine and is really green in the growing season.

When this lawn is mowed every week, it is often difficult to mow the grass on the side of the hill as it is difficult to see the lines where the grass has been cut (i.e, it's not high enough to tell much difference between what has been mowed and what has not).

My theory is that because of the steepness of the hill, the grass is not getting enough water because I think the water is just running down the hill without being absorbed into the soil. Of course, I have not verified this theory (mainly because I have no idea how I would verify it).

Does this sound reasonable as to why this grass fails to thrive? All of the grass in this lawn is maintained in the exact same way, and it all thrives except for the little amount on the side of this hill.

Would aerating this part of the lawn help? How about cutting plugs out?

Thanks in advance for the expertise.

Southern Elegance
03-25-2010, 08:42 PM
could b drainage, shade, poor soil, rocky soil, need more info. but id probally start with a soil test and go from there

kirk1701
03-28-2010, 05:21 PM
and could need to be aerated so it will absorb more water and less runoff.

clean_cut
03-28-2010, 10:35 PM
Yeah, maybe try a soil sample (I think you can get them for free in a lot of states if you pay shipping), maybe aeration will help too.