PDA

View Full Version : Sod questions

Jamie James
03-25-2010, 07:22 PM
ok guys here it is.

How much to charge for a 1000 sq feet of layng sod., this is removing old grass, top up a bit with top soil and laying new sod.

:canadaflag:

Or how do you charge for re sodding.

MDLawn
03-26-2010, 11:37 AM
I've done a few of these jobs and it stills comes down to how long it takes ( this includes tailgate down to tailgate up) multiplied by my hourly rate + materials (25% markup) + rentals = job price. I'm sorry to not say it should be $XXXX.XX because everyones rates are different and each area of the country and each different county (I see your canadian flag). I think around here a simple way that was close to being right was $1-$1.50 per square foot including tear out, prep, and sod. I am NOT saying this will work for you, use it as a start. For larger properties this may not work as well though.

This depends on do you have easy access to the property? Do you need to do a soil test? Do you need more amendments than just topsoil? How are you removing the current lawn? If you sod cut do you have a trailer to dump it (it's heavy stuff!). Where are you dumping it? How are you getting the sod? What does the sod cost you? How are you getting the topsoil? How much does that cost? Are you moving it by hand or renting a machine? How fast can you lay sod? (if you don't know this yet then keep track of the time so you will know) And if you move slow you cannot charge more for that :) The list goes on and on but answers all the questions you might have. Many on here will say you need to know your cost to run your business.......and they're RIGHT! Figure that out first and then start figuring out the price.

Jamie James
03-27-2010, 07:01 PM
OK 1000sqft of sod, I would need 116 rolls, 3 yards of topsoil.

Plus take up old lawn all for 5 BUCKS A roll...... Can't be.

I would spend almost 300 on material, plus gas, my time and make 200 bucks in a day maybe a day and a half......

Has to be a dollar a foot or more,,,,,,,,,,,,,

You sound right, on this job I would ask 1000 to 1500 depending on were area is.....

:usflag::usflag::canadaflag::canadaflag:brothers

green_thumb
04-10-2010, 10:44 AM
I'm going to look at one this afternoon and it's 18,000 sq ft. The client is persistant about using sod instead of seed. If people charge around a dollar a sq ft. That's $18000!! Whoa!
Posted via Mobile Device

MDLawn
04-10-2010, 02:38 PM
Well the larger the job there is a possibility that the price may change to win the job. For me the prep is the hardest part if a full prep is needed. Sod lays quickly especially with the big rolls, a tractor, and a few workers. Every job is different though.
Posted via Mobile Device

green_thumb
04-10-2010, 02:56 PM
Sod installation is kinda new for me. Here's one i looked at earlier this week. The client just had an above ground pool removed. Is it necessary to get rid of ALL the sand? There's about 6-8 inches of sand. It's about 1350 sq'. If I remove a good portion of it, can I bring in more soil and cover whats left to prep the ground? 184010

MDLawn
04-10-2010, 06:50 PM
I'm not sure about the sand but if someone suggests to remove it that will be a lot of soil to bring in to make sure it is sloping in the right direction for drainage. Just remember a few things

- Do you have easy access into the site?
- you should top dress with topsoil - how are you getting that in? Wheelbarrow, mini skid, etc... What is your access?
- How are you getting the sod in there.....again access?
- Drain away from house and foundation
- how will the sod be watered after install?
- If you have to haul away material how and where will you take it.

Lots to think about.

LandscapeSavannah
04-10-2010, 07:08 PM
I'm getting around $1.00 to $1.25 a square foot installed. More in some cases if the prep is worse. But cannot sell a guarantee without my company maintaining it, treating it, and having irrigation to the turf.