PDA

View Full Version : Moles.... how to eliminate them?

buckhorn70
03-26-2010, 09:25 AM
What is the best way to get rid of moles? I have a fenced in yard that a beagle lives in and she will dig holes everywhere chasing these moles. It is like mowing thru a war zone. I think if I help in removing the moles the diiging dog will stop...any suggestions?

93Chevy
03-26-2010, 09:32 AM
I assume you're a homeowner, not a commercial applicator.

Bonide "Molemax" is essentially caster oil in granular form. This will repel the moles, but it won't kill them. Broadcast it through your yard at the rate specified on the bag.

Second option is poison. Bonide makes a mole/pocket gopher poison as well. I forget the trade name, but the active ingredient is zinc phosphide. The problem you will run into is that Zinc Phosphide is hazardous to dogs, so you either have to ensure that your dog won't dig up the tunnels.

Third option is preventative maintenance. Spread a grub control and this will help with the problem. The problem is this is that moles prefer earthworms over grubs, so if you have a good, sandy soil with lots of earthworms, the lack of grubs won't 100% guarantee that the moles won't be feeding in your lawn.

TL1981
03-26-2010, 11:32 AM
If your a home owner Go to Tractor Supply or your local hardware store and pick up a few traps and or get some Talpirid (or like product with bait worms containing Bromethalin) also at TSC. Apply these and keep snoopy out of the back for a while if he is inclined to dig and disturb the traps/bait. Be sure to use scent free disposable latex gloves as not to get your scent on anything.

Removing them is a better method than trying to repell them with other methods/devices.

Do not waste your money on the grub control... this will do nothing.

nik
03-26-2010, 02:52 PM
Good advice on both responses. I would add if you are to trap and have eliminated the current ones form the yard, trap beyond that if possible/practical. If there is an area next to your grass that the moles are in, getting them there before they get into the lawn will save wear and tear on the lawn. I was able to set traps at a property once that was bordered by two commercial nurseries on each side and a horse stable on the back. The moles and gophers came in mainly through the horse property. The nurseries had good control and the horse property let me trap on area where the horses didn't go. That reduced the times I had to dig up the lawn to set traps. There was lots of wooded/open ground beyond the horse property so there was always new arrivals in the soil.

Killing off the food source(grubs, worms) can help short term. But you run into restrictions on how much product can go on the grass each season. Alternating chemistry buys you a little time, but then you will always have residue on the lawn. At some point that's not going to be good for you and the beagle. The Grants Giant Killer sulfur dioxide bombs can help if the moles aren't right on the surface and not right next to the house.

poncho62
03-26-2010, 03:21 PM
I am also a homeowner....This spring I had mole holes and tracks in a section of lawn.....I have not seen any sign of them since the snow melted. Filled the hoes and raked the lumps. All looks quiet out there..........Does this mean they are gone or are they still hiding there?

bx24
03-26-2010, 07:42 PM
I use Talpirid and only have gotten that too work..

TL1981
03-26-2010, 10:15 PM
I am also a homeowner....This spring I had mole holes and tracks in a section of lawn.....I have not seen any sign of them since the snow melted. Filled the hoes and raked the lumps. All looks quiet out there..........Does this mean they are gone or are they still hiding there?

Moles are erratic. They may have moved on but don't be surprised if they show up again. Just keep an eye out and catch them early before they do a ton of damage.

IndianSprings
03-26-2010, 10:31 PM
Two sure fire methods we have used are the following, at True Value hardware they sell an adapter that goes over your tailpipe, on the other end you screw a garden hose on it and run it down in the mole run, the vehicle's exhaust gas kills them. The adapter is around 14.00, the other method we have had great success with is using highway emergency flares and lighting them and sticking them up in the run and covering it up, it is a chemical fire and has it's own oxidizer so it doesn't need air to burn, the chemical fumes kill the moles, great for ground hogs too.

jvanvliet
03-27-2010, 09:50 AM
Eliminate the food source, eliminate the mole problem in YOUr yard; they'll move next door but that's his problem right?

Hoy landscaping
03-27-2010, 09:53 AM
have u ever seen the caddy shack?

Darryl G
03-27-2010, 10:00 AM
I love watching our beagle digging up mole tunnels, dirt flying everywhere and sometimes he has his whole head in his excavations sniffing away and snorting dirt...fun stuff.

Heidi J.
03-27-2010, 02:08 PM
Grr.. I hate moles.
To rid moles:Mix 3 tbls Dawn dish soap, 3 tlbs Cheyanne pepper and 1 cup of urine. Mix with 1 gallon of water. Pour down the holes. Will chase the moles away and keep dog from digging.

To kill a mole: Put C-4 in holes.. this is also intertaining:laugh:

nicelawns
03-28-2010, 10:02 PM
Grubs are becomming very active this time of year.The crub is the favorite food for moles.Applying a product controlling grubs will rid the yard of moles.

93Chevy
03-28-2010, 10:25 PM
Grubs are becomming very active this time of year.The crub is the favorite food for moles.Applying a product controlling grubs will rid the yard of moles.

I thought earthworms were their favorite food actually...but I could be wrong. Not trying to argue, but we both learned different things...

TennisBum
03-28-2010, 10:29 PM
It's been my experience that Fido will take care of the mole, etc. But Fido can make a mess of the lawn too.:drinkup:

tlg
03-28-2010, 10:38 PM
I thought earthworms were their favorite food actually...but I could be wrong. Not trying to argue, but we both learned different things...

Your not wrong. Earthworms are the main food source for moles. Grubs are a food source but not their primary diet. If they depended on grubs for food alone they would starve during the grubs adult stage. As others here have said Taliprid is the best method for control as the bait mimics their natural food source. The earthworm.

kirk1701
03-28-2010, 11:18 PM
Grr.. I hate moles.
To rid moles:Mix 3 tbls Dawn dish soap, 3 tlbs Cheyanne pepper and 1 cup of urine. Mix with 1 gallon of water. Pour down the holes. Will chase the moles away and keep dog from digging.

To kill a mole: Put C-4 in holes.. this is also intertaining:laugh:

I've been this desperate myself :laugh:

Guess what
FAIL!!!
http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/129137633252005056.jpg

The urine don't work, the pepper don't work; it might keep the dog from digging more then one time though

RigglePLC
03-29-2010, 08:26 AM
I worry about the dogs and the poison bait. What happens if you use bait and the dog finds it?

thempikes
03-29-2010, 09:40 AM
I once had an account that had their in house guy mow, etc on their property.

He trapped moles and gophers. Ran the traps daily. He got rid of the critters and the property is clean today after 20 years!

I've had it with the snake oil treatments. I am going to teach my self how to trap.

Heidi J.
03-29-2010, 07:58 PM
I've been this desperate myself :laugh:

Guess what
FAIL!!!

The urine don't work, the pepper don't work; it might keep the dog from digging more then one time though

lol.. it's worked very good for a few of my customers:) Moles ar blind and depend highly on smell. The dish soap helps it stick to their fur, the urine and pepper add a nasty smell that drives them from their nest.

I have used the Telprid, but I tell people to save money and soak a few earthworms in antifreeze and bury them.. heck of a lot cheaper:laugh:

I personally have never had issues, since my labs think moles are fun to toss up in the air and play with:laugh: