PDA

View Full Version : Easy way to lower 350?

mowerbrad
03-26-2010, 09:31 AM
I know you guys are probably thinking "why the hell would he want to lower an f350?"....well there is some reason to this.

I found me a truck I really like. It's a 2001 Ford F350 with the 7.3L diesel. Its a crew cab with lariat package and short bed. And it only has 153000 miles on it. Its within the price range I'd like to stay within, I could get it for probably $14500 out the door (with tax and fees included).

Anyway...the truck has a topper on the bed and the manufacturers plastic bed liner in it. Since it has the plastic bed liner in it I'd like to keep the topper on the truck until I can get line-x sprayed in the bed, which would probably be sometime next year. But while the truck has the topper on it, it is too tall to fit into my garage since the topper adds about an extra 4" or so, making the back end just over 7 feet tall. I have 6'11" of clearance into my garage, so I'd like to lower the back end of the truck down just a little bit so I could fit it in the garage with the topper on it. The front part of the cab (highest point) sits 6'8" tall.

So is it possible for me to have the rear of the 350 lowered a couple inches and is it relatively easy? I don't want to spend tons of money just to have the rear end lowered. And will I loose any capacities by doing this?

beano
03-26-2010, 09:34 AM
For the money you'd spend in a lowering kit, you could probably get your bed spray'd and take the topper off

JB1
03-26-2010, 09:51 AM
get a smaller topper, smaller tires and wheels but then it will look gay.

mowerbrad
03-26-2010, 10:29 AM
Another option I have been thinking about would be selling the topper when I buy the truck and then buy one of the folding bed covers for the truck or just use the money from selling the topper to put on line-x.

cutbetterthanyou
03-26-2010, 10:31 AM
I don't think it will look right lowering just the back but to each there own.You can actually do it free or close to free. You should have a block in between the rear and leaf spring that you could just take out that should lower it enough. you may have to get different u bolts as the threads might not go far enough up, but they aren't very high.

cutbetterthanyou
03-26-2010, 10:32 AM
i wouldn't worry with the line x i would get a topper that don't have that big hump in it

gtmorgan89
03-26-2010, 02:27 PM
I would just take the topper off. If you leave it on you may as well have an excursion.

Moto52
03-26-2010, 03:14 PM
You and take out the rear 350 blocks and put 250 blocks in it which is about 2 inches lower. i've never heard of someone taking the blocks entirely out like someone else mentioned. but if you did that would lower it 4 inches, then you would be driving around with the "california rake" which i keep seeing more and more of...

stroker51
03-27-2010, 03:05 PM
Just ditch the topper. You are trying to make way too much work for yourself. If you don't get Line-x right away it wont be the end of the world.

mdlwn1
03-27-2010, 03:19 PM
just lower the air pressure

thesnowman269
03-27-2010, 04:17 PM
just lower the air pressure

now thats just a dumb idea, good bye gas milage :hammerhead: