PDA

View Full Version : Help diagnose this lawn lump problem!

Schuley
03-26-2010, 12:07 PM
Guy called me up and wanted me to roll his lawn because its really bumpy. I don't usually do it but said I could come take a look. He called around I guess while I was on my way over there, and ended up wanting me to dethatch the lawn then aerate it. The problem he wants fixed is that it looks and feels like someone has golf balls buried 1" under the soil every 4-6" or so. Its bumpy as heck! He push mowes his entire lawn and he said its so bumpy it gives him blisters if he doesn't use thick gloves. He wants the lumps gone, but the problem is they come back.... I was thinking I could use a powered dethatcher with the metal "teeth" that heavily comb the surface and maybe take them down? Anyone run into this before? I havn't... How did you deal with it?

White Gardens
03-27-2010, 12:21 AM
Guy called me up and wanted me to roll his lawn because its really bumpy. I don't usually do it but said I could come take a look. He called around I guess while I was on my way over there, and ended up wanting me to dethatch the lawn then aerate it. The problem he wants fixed is that it looks and feels like someone has golf balls buried 1" under the soil every 4-6" or so. Its bumpy as heck! He push mowes his entire lawn and he said its so bumpy it gives him blisters if he doesn't use thick gloves. He wants the lumps gone, but the problem is they come back.... I was thinking I could use a powered dethatcher with the metal "teeth" that heavily comb the surface and maybe take them down? Anyone run into this before? I havn't... How did you deal with it?

Earth Worms.

Schuley
03-27-2010, 08:47 AM
Any thoughts on how to get rid of them? Im thinking the power rake will take the tops off.... ?

White Gardens
03-27-2010, 09:30 AM
Any thoughts on how to get rid of them? Im thinking the power rake will take the tops off.... ?

Aerate 2 times a year. Don't roll for compaction reasons. Power rake if you want but it might be more work in the end.