PDA

View Full Version : There's fungus among us!

jdmcat
03-26-2010, 02:43 PM
I don't claim to be an expert on turf diseases but a long time pest control customer called about these spots in his lawn. He said he applied some Scotts step 1 about 3 weeks ago and as the lawn started to green up these spots appeared. I have my suspicions but I would like to see what you turf guys think. They are from 2-6 inches in diameter and if you pull the dead grass back its brown underneath(3rd pic).

SeedPro
03-26-2010, 02:58 PM
Looks like Snow Mold to me.

But I don't know what the deal is in Idaho.....or when diseases are active etc.

Could be dollar spot for all I can tell.

You can't burn a lawn in that pattern if you tried too. But fert burn will always look Orange before it goes straw color.

RAlmaroad
03-26-2010, 04:55 PM
Does he happen to have a female dog/dogs? Looks so much like b*tch urine.

jdmcat
03-26-2010, 06:14 PM
Definitely not dog damage, this appeared about two weeks ago and he doesn't have a dog. I don't think it's snow mold either, as we only had snow for about 2 days in December this year. Its been in the high 50s and low 60's almost everyday here for the last month.

I was thinking dollar spot, but I am by no means an expert on the subject. Is there anything else that looks like this and what can I look for to confirm it?

tombo82685
03-26-2010, 07:34 PM
I doubt its dollar spot, the temperatures are a little to low for dollar spot. Also, dollar spot needs leaf wetness to infect like dew or rain, for it to show up, but its possible. Easy way to tell is look at the grass blade and see if their is an hourglass appearence on the blade.

What i was thinking it may be is michrodochium patch. This disease is closely related to pink snow mold but unlike pink snow mold this disease occurs during no snow cover.

mike174
03-26-2010, 08:29 PM
Does he happen to have a female dog/dogs? Looks so much like b*tch urine.

I agree with you from the first picture. I'm re-seeding a ton of female dog damage for a customer this spring that looks just like picture #1. However, the last picture looks like it has fungus growth. If no female dogs, definitely a fungus.

jdmcat
03-26-2010, 08:50 PM
What i was thinking it may be is michrodochium patch. This disease is closely related to pink snow mold but unlike pink snow mold this disease occurs during no snow cover.

This may be it, here's what I found:

Cause: A fungus, Microdochium nivale (formerly Fusarium nivale), that survives in diseases grass and dead plant debris. The disease occurs in spring and fall and is very common in winter in western Oregon and Washington and in northern Idaho. The most severe damage is in early spring just as snow starts to melt. Snow is not required for damage to occur. Leaf–to-leaf spread of the fungus is favored by alternate thawing and snow cover, repeated frosts, cold fogs, and light drizzling rain. Infection is more a problem on turf cut low and in shaded areas. High nitrogen fertility also favors disease development.

These are the conditions we have had here lately. Thanks for the help! :clapping:

mikesturf
03-28-2010, 07:33 AM
My guess is snow mold. In the Chicago area we have it EVERYWHERE. I'm just telling people to lightly rake up the matted down areas, get some air circulating, then do first mowing at 2". The Extension offices tell me that since we had an early first snow fall last fall with the soil being no where close to being frozen was the big reason for the snow mold. They say hopefully once the weather warms up and the grass starts to grow, the mold will go away. May need to reseed some areas. Bad thing is you won't know where to reseed until many weeks AFTER the pre-em goes down. I'm waiting until late August to reseed any bare areas.