PDA

View Full Version : Survey...belt drive 36 commercial too much?

csm_274
03-26-2010, 04:47 PM
In your opinion, is a belt driven 36 commercial mower (e.g. Exmark Metro 36, Gravely pro-walk series, Toro TurboForce series, etc.) too much mower for cutting one residential 0.4-0.5 acre lot (once a week or so)?

I'm really torn. There aren't many residential mowers larger than 21 that appear to be worth considering - I don't want a piece of junk, but I'm also hesitant to spend ~3-4K for a mower I won't use that often. I've looked at the Gavely WAW 34, but I'm still not convinced it's worth $1500.

Thoughts?

KarlP
03-26-2010, 05:34 PM
I'm struggling with the a similar decision with a 1 acre lot that is .7 acres grass and a 36" dual hydro WB. I've come to the conclusion it really a lifestyle question more than a tool question.

Ask yourself -

Do you spend money freely or are you thrifty?
Does brand name matter?
Are you a buy a USA product kinda guy or a buy the best value kinda guy?
Do you like mowing or is it just a chore?
Do you want to have the best lawn on the block or just not one of the worst?
Do you like having the best tools even if its more than you need for the job or do you just need good enough?
Would you take it to a dealer for everything or do you like working on machinery yourself?
Could outsource the job?
Do you think you'd be satisfied with the results if you did?
Have you priced outsourcing and compared to the cost of buying a mower?
What else would you do with your time saved compared to a 21" self propel or wasted compared to outsourcing?
What else would you do with your money saved compared to a 21" self propel or the WAW 34?

MJS
03-26-2010, 05:49 PM
I'm struggling with the a similar decision with a 1 acre lot that is .7 acres grass and a 36" dual hydro WB. I've come to the conclusion it really a lifestyle question more than a tool question.

Ask yourself -

Does brand name matter?
Do you like having the best tools even if its more than you need for the job or do you just need good enough?
Would you take it to a dealer for everything or do you like working on machinery yourself?
Could outsource the job?
What else would you do with your time saved compared to a 21" self propel or wasted compared to outsourcing?
What else would you do with your money saved compared to a 21" self propel or the WAW 34?

Excellent post - all very good points. ^

I would add that it is certainly not necessary to spend the money on a brand new commercial unit. You can get a good commercial 36" for around $1000 - $1500 if you keep your eyes open.

If you take care of it, one of those machines, even used, could easily last 10-15 years of residential use.

eatonpcat
03-28-2010, 08:38 PM

Ask yourself -

Does brand name matter?
Could outsource the job?

Great post Karl!!!

zanemoseley
03-28-2010, 10:09 PM
I've used a Troybuilt self propelled on a probably 1-1.25 acre lot that got a bit tough in the middle of the Summer mowing for 3 hours. Now I have 2 sloped acres and bought a 40" Toro hydro w/ floating deck, I got that because the back hill is too steep for a rider and I didn't want to push mow it with my smaller Troybuilt. With that said if I had a .4-.5 acre flat lot to mow I wouldn't be getting that nice of a mower. John Deere has a nicer self propelled mower at Lowe's that has nice castering front wheels. It appears to be much nicer than my TB. I know the cheaper self propelled mowers are belt driven but I've heard larger WB belt driven mowers can be a bit of a pain to run but have never personally mowed with one.

fourseasonsnashville
03-28-2010, 10:38 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

fourseasonsnashville
03-28-2010, 11:05 PM
I just got a Cub Cadet walk behind, it is a 36" gear drive. I got it for the few small yards, and yards with small gates. So far the mower has been great, it is a plain jane model with no buttons or bows. I paid $2000 brand new out of the box. A great plus side is that it stripes great right out of the box. I would refer this mower for a single residential yard.