PDA

View Full Version : Barricade - Dimension Question

colby64473
03-26-2010, 03:55 PM
This is my first year applying and I need your suggestions, and yes I do have my license. I'm offering a 5 app program with all apps being granular except the broadleaf app. For crab, should I go with the 19-0-6 .38 Barricade or the 24-0-8 .19 Dimension. The Dimension is about $5.50 higher per 50lb bag. I'm a small company, so I'm not in a hurry to service a bunch of yards. I'm just getting my feet wet this year with about 15 lawns. I'm in a rural area with lawns about 25000 to an acre. My rep said both work equally well, but the barricade needs to go down earlier than the dimension. Thanks.

TLS
03-26-2010, 05:48 PM
Thats some HOT Dimension! The .19 part and the 24 part!

I use 15-0-5 with .172 which is hot compared to most using 13-2-5 with .15

Maybe it's what works best in your area....I'd love to get what you have and spread it thinner.

thelawnkid
03-26-2010, 08:45 PM
Barricade I switched from dimension to barricade several years ago and have been much happier with it.

bx24
03-26-2010, 08:58 PM
I would swich to Barricade if I could get it cheaper then dim..

mdlwn1
03-27-2010, 03:16 PM
Use Barricade only. Switch to Dimension only for new/late paying customers AFTER crab is up.

Mowerman2112
03-27-2010, 03:39 PM
Would be interested, in the supplier and what you pay for it? Thanks, Brian

colby64473
03-27-2010, 10:06 PM
Why only use barricade? Is it that much better than dimension. I understand that the dimension has a post emergent side to it somewhat, but what about yards that haven't been treated for years.? I've put down about 6 properties with barricade and was going to switch to dimension in about 1-2 weeks. I've got quite a few people calling since this really hasn't been offered at a reasonable price in my small town for quite a while. Thanks for any advice.

colby64473
03-27-2010, 10:09 PM
I buy from prosource one in Saint Joseph. Prices are between $18-$24 per bag. Like I said, I buy in small quantities compared to most guys here, so I'm sure I pay more.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
03-27-2010, 10:46 PM
Colby - I'd say your price/bag is a little high. I have been quoted fert+pre for this season at $14-$16/bag. Maybe shop it out next season.

mdlwn1
03-28-2010, 12:01 PM
Why only use barricade? Is it that much better than dimension. I understand that the dimension has a post emergent side to it somewhat, but what about yards that haven't been treated for years.? I've put down about 6 properties with barricade and was going to switch to dimension in about 1-2 weeks. I've got quite a few people calling since this really hasn't been offered at a reasonable price in my small town for quite a while. Thanks for any advice.

If crab isnt up already, Barricade will work for a LONG time. A thorough application will prevent crab...period. Anyone who tells you differently, applied it wrong in some way. Secondly, Dimension costs more and doesnt last much beyond 30 days (the label is more optimistic).

Young Bros
03-28-2010, 03:19 PM
We have used dimension in the past 19-06 and 13-0-5 .1% Dimension. This will be the first year using barricade 13-0-4 .375 evade 200 sgn. Got a little dimension left over from last year and will use at the end of round #1.

joevg
03-28-2010, 03:42 PM
Young Bros,

i just switched this year to some 18-0-4 .375 evade i believe is similar to what you might be using. Have you heard good things about it? We have always used Dimension and i dont think the control last long enough, but i havent used to many different formulas either.

Maple Wood
03-28-2010, 07:14 PM
Hello Colby, I am not far from you and will add my 2 cents. Things have been a little crazy with Pro Source. They were bought out by land o lakes and their main sales man switched to a different company and went head hunting for all there old customers.
The prices are just a little high.
I am using 15-0-5 25% scu .21 dim. (I do not put much n on round 1, we mow alot of the yards and do not need crazy top growth)
cost of app is $1m to $1.5m
the more dim applied the longer the control. The higher rates go to places that need more control. A thick healthy yard does not need the higher rates.

Barricade works great when applied early. Do not try to seed the following fall after barricade it has a longer life than dimension.
If you can apply early with no need to seed in the fall and you want long residual then go with barricade. I use dimension because it is more flexible for my situation. I think both products are good but location and situation should dictate what you use. For example your growing season is 2-4 weeks shorter that Kansas City's. So you do not need as long of a residual.

colby64473
03-28-2010, 08:44 PM
If you don't mind, where do you buy chemical from? Since I'm new to the chemical side, I'm still looking for the best price. By the way, I met with the Prosource rep last November and was surprised this spring when I found out he was gone. Do you know where he's at? Thanks for the good advice. I'm a teacher/basketball coach in my other world and I know the value of learning from the pros.

Shegardi
03-28-2010, 08:48 PM
I use mainly JDL and Agrium here, but don't know what you have closer than KC.

Maple Wood
03-28-2010, 10:36 PM
I use JDL for alot of my chemicals. They have good prices. Prosource is not far off from them. The guy you spoke to last fall is Tom Graves. Agrium Advanced Technologies is who he is with now. I checked their prices and they are higher than Prosource. Prosource sells a great broad leaf chemical called Strike 3 ultra 2. Works great on white clover.

mdlwn1
04-08-2010, 08:57 AM
Just wanted to respond to the "barricade lasts too long" comments. It all depends on how much you put down.....it's all on the label. If you dont want it to last into the fall, put less down.

Frank Fescue
04-08-2010, 06:46 PM
dimension is great. i use it all the time. the best idea is to go to a distributor and rip open a bag and ask them to sell it for a discount.

Young Bros
04-08-2010, 07:00 PM
Just wanted to respond to the "barricade lasts too long" comments. It all depends on how much you put down.....it's all on the label. If you dont want it to last into the fall, put less down.

What do you use for barricade in your area? .375? How pounds do you put down when you want to seed in the fall?

americanlawn
04-08-2010, 07:57 PM
Our Agrium rep called today. Said one of his clients switched his final dry fert shipment from Evade (Barricade) to Dimension 0.15 cuz he said he saw crabgrass beginning to emerge on the south slope of a lawn. So the rep asked me if I wanted to do the same thing. I said no, just keep it the same (Evade). I based the decision on average temps for this time of year. (Two years ago at this time, we had wind chills in single digits).

2 1/2 weeks ago we had complete snow cover, but we've been 10 to 30 degrees above normal since then. Even professional mowing services are starting to mow. That's a week ahead of normal.

Question: How long does it take for Barricade to set up its protective barrier after 1/2 inch of rain? (I've heard that Barricade has less "soil movement" than Dimension) thanks (Des Moines, IA)

DA Quality Lawn & YS
04-08-2010, 10:52 PM
Probably wise Larry not chasing a few south-exposed hillsides showing a little crab with Dimension. Why change your whole order just for that, just do Drive on those post.

It is my understanding that the Barricade does not 'kick in' until 55 deg. soil temp is reached and is rained in. Thats why Barricade seems to last longer, is that it doesn't break down immediately like Dimension/dithopyr.

jvanvliet
04-09-2010, 06:59 AM
This is my first year applying and I need your suggestions, and yes I do have my license. I'm offering a 5 app program with all apps being granular except the broadleaf app. For crab, should I go with the 19-0-6 .38 Barricade or the 24-0-8 .19 Dimension. The Dimension is about $5.50 higher per 50lb bag. I'm a small company, so I'm not in a hurry to service a bunch of yards. I'm just getting my feet wet this year with about 15 lawns. I'm in a rural area with lawns about 25000 to an acre. My rep said both work equally well, but the barricade needs to go down earlier than the dimension. Thanks.

I used a Lesco "Stonewall" 14-0-7 with .48 Barricade on my lawn @ $17.50 for 50 LBS - Lesco Pro spreader calibrated & set to 18. Temp range s/b mid 70 ish as a high.

jvanvliet
04-09-2010, 07:06 AM
dimension is great. i use it all the time. the best idea is to go to a distributor and rip open a bag and ask them to sell it for a discount.

In my neck of the woods that's called vanadalism, malicous mischief, petty larceny and will catch you a misdemeanor charge.

I don't know whats wrong with this world if you actually believe that was good advice... I can still go to my growers down here, pick my plants, put them on the truck/trailer, or go to Helena Chem... load what I need and pay on the way out based on my say so, because they know I'm a man of integrity, the way it used to be.

Guys like you F that up....

Keep that kind of advise your giving to yourself.

pieperlc
04-09-2010, 08:07 AM
In my neck of the woods that's called vanadalism, malicous mischief, petty larceny and will catch you a misdemeanor charge.

I don't know whats wrong with this world if you actually believe that was good advice... I can still go to my growers down here, pick my plants, put them on the truck/trailer, or go to Helena Chem... load what I need and pay on the way out based on my say so, because they know I'm a man of integrity, the way it used to be.

Guys like you F that up....

Keep that kind of advise your giving to yourself.

Check Frank's other posts, integrity is not in his vocabulary, but he is entertaining.

jvanvliet
04-09-2010, 06:51 PM
Check Frank's other posts, integrity is not in his vocabulary, but he is entertaining.

Yah... I see what you mean; propably he should wear protective garments & respirators... stuffs affecting his brain. Laying off the dangerous controlled substances and recrerational pharmecuticals might be beneficial also.

Boomer Sooner
04-09-2010, 11:26 PM
your not going to have 100% control on crabgrass, if it is a new account,
split apps are a must for best control using Dimension or Barricade,applicator error is usaully the case on escapes