PDA

View Full Version : Step design - Cape style house

Woodland
03-26-2010, 08:30 PM
Hello everyone,

I'm in the planning stages of re-landscaping the front of my house. It is a simple 1 1/2 story cape style house with the front door centered along the front. Currently there is a set of precast steps at the front door. There are three steps with a small landing at the top and they are faced with "fake" stones, topped with concrete and have black iron railings. This needs to go! I want to build something more elegant but still quaint enough to fit the house. I was hoping you could post some picture for ideas?

Woodland
03-28-2010, 10:01 AM
Ok, I'll start...

I have lots of images of "nice" staircases in my mind but most are too grand for a simple cape style home. I thought about the idea of granite, but again, I'm not sure it would be right. Maybe someone has a picture they could share?

What I am picturing right now is a set made from retaining wall blocks - possibly Techo Mini Creta 3", and putting bluestone treads on them. I'm worried that this, along with a basic black iron railings, similar to what is there now, would look to cookie cutter. Any thoughts, ideas??