PDA

View Full Version : Hourly rate

mike174
03-26-2010, 09:56 PM
I had an estimate today for a spring clean up, transplanting, pruning & mulch job. I quoted her a price for the job and she complained that she couldn't figure out my hourly rate :laugh:..... She's a realtor and I'll pass on the job even if she accepts the estimate (too busy for her BS). As we walked the property she was telling me about how she's fighting with the previous landscaper over previous bills for services :hammerhead: Just wondering who is quoting an hourly rate vs. bidding the job to be done? It seems like the cheep o's want an hourly rate....you get what you pay for in my opinion.

greenchoppers
03-26-2010, 10:05 PM
Personally, I usually do not disclose my hourly rate. I price things by the job. Usually the bean counters will want to know an hourly rate but I have been able to dodge that bullet so far.

I have one recommendation when it comes to doing work for others: contracts, contracts, contracts. Nothing like putting what you are doing and for how much on paper and getting a John Hancock on it.

TreeClimber57
03-27-2010, 08:39 PM
I stay clear of hourly rates.. the idiots who typically want them seem to think the equipment, fuel, maintenance, insurance, cell phone, internet.. etc.. all come for free.. and that you should be making minimum wage..!!

rjh4758
03-28-2010, 04:27 PM
No body asks what the hourly wage is to build a house, or remodel a room. It may be itemized but not down to hourly labor.

You could always tell them after over head it would be a little over minimum wage. Would be nice to see the response on that one

lawnlandscape
03-28-2010, 05:05 PM
I will bid it however the customer requests that I bid it. If they do not request I bid it on how much it would be to complete the job.

I don't like to use hourly rates, they tend to shock people, but I will if they request it.