PDA

View Full Version : Aerate, compost Topdress, Lesco Dimension order

jpbecker21
03-27-2010, 11:42 AM
In the next week or two, I plan on aerating my lawn, then topdressing with a good supply of finished compost, and then putting down Lesco Dimension as a pre-emergent.

Question is should I be doing all of the above in the order specified above? or would it be better to aerate, wait a week, put down dimension, wait some time, and then spread compost?

Would love thoughts on ordering the above, as well as any waiting periods I should have between steps. Not sure if it matters that much, but wanted to get the thoughts of others.

Marcos
03-27-2010, 03:30 PM
In the next week or two, I plan on aerating my lawn, then topdressing with a good supply of finished compost, and then putting down Lesco Dimension as a pre-emergent.

Question is should I be doing all of the above in the order specified above? or would it be better to aerate, wait a week, put down dimension, wait some time, and then spread compost?

Would love thoughts on ordering the above, as well as any waiting periods I should have between steps. Not sure if it matters that much, but wanted to get the thoughts of others.

In my humble opinion, it's sort of off-kilter to be doing a smart, green thing like topdressing & then be applying a chemical like Dimension as your pre-emergent.

Have you considered corn gluten meal (CGM)? :confused:
CGM is an organic pre-emergent as well as a nutrient (fertilizer analysis 9-0-0).
You typically can find it at rural-type Ag co-ops / feed mills in 50# paper sacks.
The pre-emergent rate is 20 pounds / 1000 sq ft ( just over 4 bags per quarter acre of turf)
To use CGM strictly as a fertilizer, cut the above rate by 50%.

Later, consider the use of soybean, alfalfa, or cotton seed meals as your lawn fertilizer, each at 15 pounds / 1000 sq ft.

jpbecker21
03-27-2010, 03:36 PM
Thanks Marcos. I know where you're coming from. I've heard of CGM as an option before, but I'm not 100% sure on a source for me. I've read about CGM on this board before, so I'll do more research and also at least look into finding a source close to where I live (in a metro area).

Suppose CGM in my original post, would you apply that after topdressing?? Any waiting period??

Marcos
03-27-2010, 03:42 PM

Aerate, apply whatever pre-emergent, then compost all in the same day if your body holds out. :cool2::cry:

Marcos
03-27-2010, 03:59 PM
Thanks Marcos. I know where you're coming from. I've heard of CGM as an option before, but I'm not 100% sure on a source for me. I've read about CGM on this board before, so I'll do more research and also at least look into finding a source close to where I live (in a metro area).

Suppose CGM in my original post, would you apply that after topdressing?? Any waiting period??

I hear what you're saying about being in a metro area.
The closer you live to the corn belt, the better the pricing on CGM will generally be.
It's a commodity of course, so the pricing fluctuates a little every business day.
Look up in the phone book or on the 'net: 'grain elevators' 'wholesale feed' 'animal feed'.
Or spend a little time & flip through here:
http://www.industrynet.com/results.asp?headers=FE0040

Again, no waiting period necessary.
Put down the compost last.
If it's good clean topdressing, any weed seeds in it will have long been destroyed through natural thermophilic processes inherent in the cycle of composting.

mdlwn1
03-27-2010, 04:24 PM
If you go with a chem pre, using Dimension is a complete waste...especially this early. It is short lived and costs more. Dimension is used primarily because it has POST emergent capabilities.

jpbecker21
03-27-2010, 07:33 PM
Thanks fellas.. All good info here. :) I appreciate it.

mdlwn1, per your comment, I think my strategy might be to aerate and topdress early/mid April.. and then put down Dimension last week of April. By then temps will climb to a more steady 50s 60s and that schedule is more in line what Lesco's 5 step schedule recommends.

Thanks guys

Jackson3
03-29-2010, 11:51 PM
In my humble opinion, it's sort of off-kilter to be doing a smart, green thing like topdressing & then be applying a chemical like Dimension as your pre-emergent.

Have you considered corn gluten meal (CGM)? :confused:
CGM is an organic pre-emergent as well as a nutrient (fertilizer analysis 9-0-0).
You typically can find it at rural-type Ag co-ops / feed mills in 50# paper sacks.
The pre-emergent rate is 20 pounds / 1000 sq ft ( just over 4 bags per quarter acre of turf)
To use CGM strictly as a fertilizer, cut the above rate by 50%.

Later, consider the use of soybean, alfalfa, or cotton seed meals as your lawn fertilizer, each at 15 pounds / 1000 sq ft.

Marcos,

I also live in Cincinnati (Blue Ash) and would like to transition to an organic program. I just had a soil test an my OM came back at 3.5 so I have some work to do. Where is a good place to buy cracked corn, SBM, CGM, etc. around here? Thanks for your help.

betmr
03-30-2010, 12:53 PM
I personally like the order you specified. My reasons are this, Aerate opens and loosens soil, Compost can migrate down holes and add organics deeper in soil, Pre-emergant then covers and blocks germination. I feel if you Pre-em before compost you will be installing a layer of unprotected soil on top of your pre-em. That's my opinion.

Marcos
03-30-2010, 05:42 PM
Marcos,

I also live in Cincinnati (Blue Ash) and would like to transition to an organic program. I just had a soil test an my OM came back at 3.5 so I have some work to do. Where is a good place to buy cracked corn, SBM, CGM, etc. around here? Thanks for your help.

The nearest ag outlet to you is in Lebanon OH.
Southwest Landmark has a feed store in town there just off SR 42 on Sycamore St, just a block or two south of 207-year old Golden Lamb Inn.

jpbecker21
03-31-2010, 01:22 AM
Thanks betmr. that was my orginal thinking too. Marcos, any comments on betmr's thinking? I'd definitely go thin (1/4") on my compost, but would applying pre-em last maybe compromise effectiveness on that bottom layer?? That's my only worry! Maybe none issue.

Also, found source for CGM. About 4x more expensive. :(
Posted via Mobile Device

betmr
03-31-2010, 09:17 AM
Thanks betmr. that was my orginal thinking too. Marcos, any comments on betmr's thinking? I'd definitely go thin (1/4") on my compost, but would applying pre-em last maybe compromise effectiveness on that bottom layer?? That's my only worry! Maybe none issue.

Also, found source for CGM. About 4x more expensive. :(
Posted via Mobile Device

That is the problem with organics, they are the IN thing, so they are more expensive. I don't know, but wasn't that waste material just a little while ago ?

Jackson3
03-31-2010, 11:38 AM
The nearest ag outlet to you is in Lebanon OH.
Southwest Landmark has a feed store in town there just off SR 42 on Sycamore St, just a block or two south of 207-year old Golden Lamb Inn.

Thanks for the info. I had a feeling I'd have to head somewhere out of town as I haven't seen anything local. Only about a 25 minute drive but I'll try and stock up. Thanks again.

Marcos
04-02-2010, 01:54 AM
Marcos, any comments on betmr's thinking?

Please read the last sentence of post #5 of this thread for that opinion.

Marcos
04-02-2010, 02:04 AM
Also, found source for CGM. About 4x more expensive.

Visit relatives or someone you know in the heart of the corn belt this Easter weekend & with a little bit of research, you'll find rural farm stores open most if not all day Saturday that'll sell 50# sacks of CGM for between $16-$20 apiece.