PDA

View Full Version : help with id weed

cutbetterthanyou
03-27-2010, 11:33 AM
Not sure what this is. It was tall and clumpie before i cut the yard now it is just yellow clumps every where. Does anyone know what it is, or a free online guide? P.S I don't do this as part of my bussness i mostly just cut grass, so if it it is something common please don't get on me.

RigglePLC
03-27-2010, 12:21 PM
Poa annua possibly.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poa_annua

Think Green
03-27-2010, 01:07 PM
cutbettrerthanwho?
The photo is a little muddled and out of focus compared to the back ground.
Can you take a better photo on some white paper in the back ground.
It doesn't look like poa annua to me..........that weed in your hand seems to be more round in stem and looks waxy in texture. The things are growing in clumps!!!!
Get back with us.

Rhizomatous
03-27-2010, 04:59 PM
I agree with Think Green...if you could provide a couple better pictures it may more helpful in your id

tombo82685
03-27-2010, 05:13 PM
Its either poa triv or poa reptans. They both look pretty much the same. Boat like tip, pretty large membranous ligule, folded in the bud. One aspect where they differ from each other is poa triv sheath is split further down then poa reptans. Also, poa triv has rhizomes, while poa reptans doesn;t

cutbetterthanyou
03-27-2010, 08:56 PM
Maybe these help

cutbetterthanyou
03-27-2010, 09:04 PM
BTW how do you get rid of it?

cutbetterthanyou
03-28-2010, 04:26 PM
HELP!!! Anyone one this weekend? Are the pics good or do you need more or of a certain part of the plant?

tombo82685
03-28-2010, 04:50 PM
HELP!!! Anyone one this weekend? Are the pics good or do you need more or of a certain part of the plant?

can you get a pic where the grass isnt mowed. If it is in the poa family some of the key identifications are the tip of the grass blade, also the ligule.

In terms of control, if its poa their is a chemical that takes poa annua out its called velocity, but im probably sure you can't get that. Just looking at your pics if that was me, i would just spot spray it with glyphosate since the patches are small. Get the dead grass out and re-seed the patch area. Chemically wise its hard to remove grass from grass with non selective herbicides because their genetic makeup is almost identical.

cutbetterthanyou
03-28-2010, 08:13 PM
All of my yard has been cut but maybe buy the time it is ready to mow again the tips will be able to be seen. I was thinking of just killing it off but i was getting ready to put a sign out front and didn't want the dead spots. If i can get it, will the velocity leave spots? Can i get it from lesco?

tombo82685
03-28-2010, 08:59 PM
Velocity is a herbicide, i think its made by syngenta, but im not sure about that. Your probably going to need a license to spray it. Also, the velocity will kill or turn the turf brown. What you could do, is just find an area of your yard that no one sees or is behind the garage and cut away the grass creating sod. Then cut the areas of poa reptans or poa triv and replace it with the stuff you just cut. You could also go to home depot and just get a roll or two of sod instead of dealing with the brown spots and what not.

cutbetterthanyou
03-28-2010, 09:04 PM
Good idea on the sod thanks

RigglePLC
03-28-2010, 09:48 PM
Cut, if you can find a seed head, that is a big help for use in identification. This could be some rogue ryegrass. Maybe your seed contained a few seeds of annual rye or a cheap perennial rye like Linn. The back side of ryegrass is usually glossy or shiny. See pic 2. Ryegrass has a more sharply pointed tip to the leaf blade, than the typical bluegrass boat-shaped tip. See pic 2. Ryegrass also has some red coloration on the lower stem near the soil line. Cut it out and reseed or resod the spot.

tombo82685
03-28-2010, 10:02 PM
To further riggles thought if it is rye grass which i dont think it is do to the lack of red coloration aroudn the crown region, annual rye grass has long auricles and its rolled in the bud.

sd night train
04-01-2010, 02:10 PM
This is a crabgrass of some sort....my yard had a ton of those same splotches in it last year...I picked all of it by hand....I am applying a pre-emergent this weekend to hopefully kill all of the seed that resides from last year before it germinates.