PDA

View Full Version : new blades on new 2010 standers!?

grassman177
03-27-2010, 04:02 PM
we pulled off the blades today to sharpen for the first day of cutting on monday, and noticed the blades are now a swooping down design like kubota blades are. this is new!!! curious why the switch?? are you getting better flow with these blades?? any reason we can/cant run the same older stardard blades with additional spacers to set them in the correct depth in the deck?? we have like 20 brand new sets of the regular blades so we dont want to have to buy even more if we dont have to, but maybe there is really good reason for the change and hence my question.

thanks in advance very much for your response

WrightCommercial
03-29-2010, 02:54 PM
grassman177,

The main reason for the switch was clearance on the different angle trailer ramps, the blade bolts could hang up on the steeper angle ramps and possibly cause spindle damage. The new blades do produce slightly better airflow and are less drag since part of the blade is not in the turf like the flat blade would be. You can run the flat blade in the new deck you will need to add two 1/4" blade spacers to make up the 1/2" difference with the step not there.

Best Regards
Wright Mfg. Service Dept.

grassman177
03-29-2010, 07:59 PM
thanks so much, and i guess my thoughts were correct and never thought of the bolt hitting the ramps, but i have had that happen b4.

grassman177
04-05-2010, 10:55 PM
we found the front baffle was too much for even early spring growth to handle and removed it like on all the other standers we own. sorry to bust a bubble, but even this early growth(not the full spring flush quite yet) was straight choking the deck up. we feel the deck performs much better without the baffle in all conditions. i have talked to many others that have no issues with this on larger deck sizes, but seems to be more common on the 48 which we use most of. any thoughts please

WrightCommercial
04-06-2010, 10:00 AM
grassman177,

No worries we knew that the baffle might not work for every situation as it is hard to make something work everywhere so there are users that remove the baffle for one reason or another. Your scenario with the 48" decks is most likely due to the shape of the deck. The 48" decks have the steepest angles when you look at the front point of the deck, so they tend to flow the trim and center chambers into the right side chamber at a deeper point in the deck than the 52" and 61" decks. If you are running the stock medium lift blades one thing that might improve the issue is running a high lift in the discharge chamber only to increase the flow of the discharge chamber. But if you are happy with the baffle removed it may not be worth trying.

Best Regards
Wright Mfg. Service Dept.

grassman177
04-06-2010, 11:23 PM
makes great sense waht you say, hence it is removable very easily. i would tend to think the baffle would do best further south away from northern sappy grass and more dry and sturdy grasses