PDA

View Full Version : Another mulch question

jblatti13
03-27-2010, 07:48 PM
Alright boys Im back for the season, after parousing plowsite daily for the last 6 months.

I have an estimate for a customer and i want to run it by you guys before i send it to her.

Total of 1950 sq ft which i came up with 14 yards of dyed red mulch.
240 ft. of re-edging the beds
2 hours for very light cleanup and spray the weeds
weed barrier laid down on all 1950 sq ft

My estimates right around $1450.00

This sound about right?

Want to make some money, but dont want to go broke either.
Im having the mulch delivred for free but the costs per yard is around $40. Ill take it since its easier than back n forth 15 times between supplier.

Daily Lawn/Landscape
03-27-2010, 10:07 PM
Can you not get a better price on your colored mulch? Why do contractors put down a weed barrier when installing mulch? When the mulch decomposes it gives the weeds a place to germinate. If you apply 3" of mulch ,that suppresses most weeds and a pre-m does the rest. I sign more contracts because the other contractors are installing a product that is not necessary in a mulch bed IMO.

James

SouthernRoots_Lawn&Garden
03-27-2010, 10:25 PM
Alright boys Im back for the season, after parousing plowsite daily for the last 6 months.

I have an estimate for a customer and i want to run it by you guys before i send it to her.

Total of 1950 sq ft which i came up with 14 yards of dyed red mulch.
240 ft. of re-edging the beds
2 hours for very light cleanup and spray the weeds
weed barrier laid down on all 1950 sq ft

My estimates right around $1450.00

This sound about right?

Want to make some money, but dont want to go broke either.
Im having the mulch delivred for free but the costs per yard is around $40. Ill take it since its easier than back n forth 15 times between supplier.

as said already 40$ for red mulch is way to much. down here (Daytona) i can pick up a yard of it for a little more than 17$ after tax. all i gotta say is if your paying 40$ a yard i hope the delivery is free.

jblatti13
03-27-2010, 10:48 PM
i appreciate the replies guys. that price was from a supplier i used a few times last year because it was more convenient for me because i was picking up myself. ill look into some other suppliers around me and see if i can do better, unfortunately i know for a fact i wont get dyed stuff for 17 like you. last year i bought the 'economy mulch' as they called it, which was a percentage of topsoil mixed in, and that cost me $27 a yard. i dont know why but the prices around my town seem rediculous to me too. if i can lower my cost i will definitely be lowering that estimate accordingly though.

WenzelOSLLC
03-27-2010, 10:59 PM
Are those the contractor prices or regular public prices you're be quoted from your supplier? They seem like the price you would pay if you were John Q. Public. Not trying to be insulting either.

jblatti13
03-27-2010, 11:14 PM
the only contractor price they offer is if you were to pick up the mulch, which i can not haul 15 yards of mulch with the equipment i have. im looking online right now for other prices, already got one at 28/yard delivered. gonna call a few places monday that dont have theirs listed online. dont know how one place can sell the same stuff for $12 more a yard

bigw
03-27-2010, 11:21 PM
First of all wouldn't 1950 sq ft be more like 12yds at 2" and 18.1 yds at 3" and 24 yds at 4" where did you come up with 14 :confused:

Benz2328
03-27-2010, 11:31 PM
way overpriced!

jblatti13
03-27-2010, 11:34 PM
the 1950ft at 14 yards, i figured 2" because they have mulch in place that isnt terrible, but a few places it blew away or whatever the reason wasnt really there. so i figured the 12 yards plus 2 to cover my arse. it may seem over priced to you, but the quote i got for mulch was 40 per yard. i have since located other suppliers for quite a bit cheaper, so like i said, im adjusting the price accordingly.

mike174
03-28-2010, 12:15 AM
Running your numbers, I would be at $1500 and that's with $25/yd black mulch. If you win all jobs, you're priced too low, if you win none, you're priced too high. I strive for a 50% close ratio because I know I'm making money. Personally, I would try to sell bi-monthly/monthly weeding service or chemical apps (if licensed) instead of putting down weed fabric. They'll still get weeds, it will show through over time and it sucks to put down.

jblatti13
03-28-2010, 12:22 AM
yeah i understand you're thinking. i dont have chem license primarily because my uncle owns a chem. app company. i referred her to them for the weeds and crabgrass they get every year, so maybe ill cut that out of the estimate and have them spray the beds too. so far, with the new lower price i got mulch at 28/ yard + tax and i widdled the estimate down to $1320 after re-working numbers.

mike174
03-28-2010, 01:00 AM
Just to clarify, I was at $1500 without weed fabric. My overhead may be different than yours, but don't sell yourself short. If you really need the job, I understand. Here's my math: 14 yards at $85 yard = $1190 plus $200 to re-edge the beds, and $100 for 2 hours of clean up ( I rounded up $10 to get to $1500).

This sounds like a 2 day job, if solo(2-9hr days). Mulch will cost you @ $600 w/ tax($40/yd). Which leaves $900 divided by @ 18 hours. That's $50/hr for your time. You and I both know this could easily become 2 - 11 hr days or 2 1/2 days which brings you down to $35 - $40/hr.

Daily Lawn/Landscape
03-28-2010, 10:29 AM
I would say that your original quote was good, you just need to find a supplier that will give you a better price on mulch which it sounds like you have already done.

James