PDA

View Full Version : Whats simpliest way to aerate?

Whitaker24
03-28-2010, 10:10 AM
Only think I own is a zero turn mower. Do they pull along do that great a job at home depot ect? U just want to punch a hole in the top correct? or is there something else I could try? I saw shoes with spikes on them would that work?

White Gardens
03-28-2010, 10:46 AM
The spiked shoes don't do a very good job.

If you are a homeowner than just a simple Agri-Fab type pull behind will work. Just make sure you use plenty of weight to get it to penetrate.

If you are a professional, then that's a different story.

Jason Rose
03-28-2010, 12:40 PM
HAHA I was planning to make a joke about the spiked shoes...

There's really no "Easy" way to aerate, it's a tough job to do it right. Spike aerators, push or pull behind do nothing benificial for the soil or lawn. Don't even know why they sell them, other than they are cheap to build and most people don't know better...

A walk behind aerator, that pulls plugs, is usually the nest option. If you have a really large lawn that's mostly flat, a pull beind type will do well, IF it's a decent one. The agri-fab ones, and similar, pull very small diameter plugs, if they pull them at all, and are spaced so far between that you need to make a minimum of 2 passes, or 3, to equal that of one pass of a walk behind. Some rental places may have a bluebird or Ryan pull behind, you will get much better results. You will need a larger zero turn, but a lawn tractor would be preferred, to pull them. Something like a toro timecutter or similar isn't going to do well.

sd night train
04-01-2010, 02:53 PM
The thing to remember if you have an easily compacted clay soil is that spike shoes or anything that doesnt remove a core is simply compacting your soil more than it was before while putting holes in your lawn....dont bother aerating unless you are removing cores...this way your lawn can soak up more water and give the dirt some breathing room which will help your lawn thrive

ProSeasons
04-02-2010, 11:45 PM
The first aerating job I ever did was with those stupid aerating sandals. The grass just exploded out of the ground with rich color and growth.

My neighbors came over and asked, "What did you do to get that color?"

The sandals worked so well I went out and bought a Brinley 48" pull behind and loaded it up with a 270 pound barbell to penetrate my compacted, clay lot. Made 3 passes and pulled out 2 1/2 inch cores.

Sold my whole neighborhood on the benefits of core aeration. Hell even the spike aeration helped on my compacted clay yard.

SeedPro
04-02-2010, 11:47 PM
Only think I own is a zero turn mower. Do they pull along do that great a job at home depot ect? U just want to punch a hole in the top correct? or is there something else I could try? I saw shoes with spikes on them would that work?

The simplest way is to hire a professional with the right equipment and have him do it.

DJJS
04-03-2010, 12:28 AM
The first aerating job I ever did was with those stupid aerating sandals. The grass just exploded out of the ground with rich color and growth.

Same here, I got a pair of those sandals when I was like 10 years old mowing neighborhood lawns, my dad bought them to try on our lawn, then I took them up & down the block and it actually had some decent results, damn near busted my a*s a few times though. Now i use a bluebird walkbehind aerator, its one of my least favorite things to do, but it works great

ProSeasons
04-03-2010, 12:56 AM
Same here, I got a pair of those sandals when I was like 10 years old mowing neighborhood lawns, my dad bought them to try on our lawn, then I took them up & down the block and it actually had some decent results, damn near busted my a*s a few times though. Now i use a bluebird walkbehind aerator, its one of my least favorite things to do, but it works great

Yeah, I use my old Ryan as a trim unit. I can't wait to pay cash for a big TurfCo TurnAer 6. That video is so cool with the sulky.

RABBITMAN11
04-03-2010, 11:27 PM
If you would try a lawn solutions walking machine or rider you wouldn't even consider the turfco!
Posted via Mobile Device

Greenery
04-03-2010, 11:40 PM
Spiked shoes? WOW I can't even believe they make something so ridiculous. So some of you guys actually bought them? How much money did you throw down the crapper for them? I am amazed everytime I am on this site.

JB1
04-03-2010, 11:47 PM
Spiked shoes? WOW I can't even believe they make something so ridiculous. So some of you guys actually bought them? How much money did you throw down the crapper for them? I am amazed everytime I am on this site.

yeah really, wouldn't baseball cleats be better.

RigglePLC
04-04-2010, 11:59 AM
Go with golf shoes. You won't make much of an impact. But the quality of your lawn really depends on other things that are more important than punching holes in it. Top notch fertility, excellent irrigation, weed control and top-quality grass seed are a lot more important. If the grass has symptoms of anoxia--then treat it.

ProSeasons
04-04-2010, 11:44 PM
If you would try a lawn solutions walking machine or rider you wouldn't even consider the turfco!
Posted via Mobile Device

It does look nice but it's too slow. I'm looking for a little bit of speed out of any commercial equipment I use.