PDA

View Full Version : My grass is browning in spots?

bans25
06-23-2002, 01:18 PM
Hi all,

I recently moved into a house that has a nice lawn, we have been getting plently of rain but the brown spots are getting worse and worse!

(I am new to having a lawn, so any help would be appreciated!)

I haven't mowed it now in 2 weeks (Since I was afraid I burned it, and still not coming back)

I have a riding mower, #6 being the highest, I mowed it on #5..

any ideas? and what can I do to bring it back, Im new to the nieghbor hood and my neighbors are prob laughing that in one month I killed a nice lawn.

I am in New Hampshire

Thanks much,

-Bill

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/eba9ba25/bc/My+Photo+Album/grass1.jpg?bcNmYP9AInhYM6CG

creative concepts
06-23-2002, 02:11 PM
Bill,

Are the tips of the grass blades frayed with a pinkish/red hue to them? From the way it looks in the picture, you could very well have a disease callled red thread. If this is the case, it is very easy to take care of.
The first thing you want to do is sharpen your mower blades as they are dull and are "ripping" the grass blades instead of cutting them.
The second thing you want to do is to take a soil sample and apply the right amount of nitrogen to the soil based on the test.
Red thread is most commonly caused by lack of nitrogen in the soil, high humidity and dull mower blades. The key is to keep your mower blades sharp as most of your lawn's diseases will enter through the frayed grassed blades.
If it is red thread and you follow the above, it should clear up in a few weeks. I hope this helps you to take care of the problem.

bans25
06-23-2002, 03:14 PM
I just went out and checked the grass, you are right! the tips of the grass in the bad area's are actually pink!

I just bought a new rider mower from sears, I should check to make sure they didn't install the blades backwards or used blades.

Is it best to use the bagger, or should I be mulching the grass?

Also what type of place's test the soil? Home Depot?
and will it be a fertillizer I will be putting on?

thanks much, sorry for all the questions, this is new to me!

-Bill

creative concepts
06-23-2002, 07:07 PM
New mowers with new blades, even though the blades are new, are dull. Take them off and have them sharpened.
As far as having a soil test done, I am not familiar with your area. You might be better off having a lawn company come in and have them do it for you. Try your local co-op extension and see if they know as they will have a better idea than myself.
Yes, it will be a fertilizer you will be putting down to add the nitrogen to the soil. However, without knowing how deficient your soil is in nitrogen, I can not give you a good idea as far as how much nitrogen you will need.
As far as bagging versus mulching, ther is a lot of debate on that still. We only bag in the spring and in the fall. We mulch the rest of the season unless we are cutting off more than 1/3 of the grass blade.
Hope this helps.

Larry Davis
06-27-2002, 11:45 AM
Bill,

Its hard to tell from your picture, but that grass sure doesn't look like it was cut at 5". Looks more like maybe 2" to 2 1/2". You should verify the actually height of your blades.