PDA

View Full Version : Kohler OHV vs. Honda GCV

RugerRedhawk
03-28-2010, 10:54 AM
I'm looking at a couple of husqvarna push (not propelled!) mowers, they seem to be exactly the same except one of them has a honda GCV engine, and the other has the kohler ohv engine. The one with the kohler is $200, the one with the honda $270. Both have ball bearing wheels and 2 year warranty.

I was initially planning on buying something with a honda engine over a briggs, but I don't know as much about the kohler. Is it as quiet as the honda? Anything else I should know?

One with kohler engine: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07138451000P?vName=Lawn+%26+Garden&keyword=husqvarna+mower

With honda: http://www.husqvarna.com/ca/en/landowner/products/lawn-mowers/7021p/

WH401
03-28-2010, 12:32 PM
I can't comment on the Kohler, but I don't think you can compare anything to a Honda engine when offered in the application your looking at. I would go with the Honda.

mowerman11
03-28-2010, 03:31 PM
I second the honda

1whitetail
03-29-2010, 01:02 AM
definitely honda

Gravel Rat
03-29-2010, 01:30 AM
Do you want a lawn mower that you will be cursing at and get a sore arm and wear out the pull cord buy the one with a Kohler engine :laugh:

Sorry you can't beat Honda engines they start easy and very reliable. Honda is the most trusted little gas engine in the marine industry. Many boats have sunk because a scow pump (water) with a Briggs or a engine other than Honda powers the pump.

Go with a Honda powered lawn mower if a Honda doesn't start in 2 pulls there is something wrong with it.

SuperiorService.110mb.com
03-29-2010, 01:33 AM
HONDA today tomarrow forever

ksJoe
03-29-2010, 09:19 AM
I've had a Honda GCV190 on my mower for a little over two years. This spring and last spring, it started on the first pull after sitting all winter.

RugerRedhawk
03-29-2010, 11:32 AM
How does the kohler compare to the briggs? The new ready-to-start briggs start up very easily, just trying to get an idea of where this kohler rates in the spectrum. I have the honda on my pressure washer, and it seems to work fine. I also suspect parts might be easier to find for the honda, simply because this motor is incredibly popular.

Sport42
03-29-2010, 12:44 PM
Is there really that big of a difference between all of these engines anymore? I have had nothing but Briggs engines and they have all performed very well. They start right up in any weather, and on the first try every season. I really like the Briggs engines, and prefer them. Very easy to service, and parts redily available, including at multiple retail stores.

With proper maintenance, any of these engines should outlast the equipment they are mounted on for homeowner use...

Gravel Rat
03-30-2010, 05:51 PM
Kohler V twin and larger engines are good you find them on riding tractors etc. You couldn't give me a Briggs and Stration or worse yet a Techumsee.

The Honda powered scow pumps we use on the west coast can be rusted to h*ll from the salt air and a Honda still starts. The recoil cover rusts off the aluminum is all coroded it looks like it will never start they always do.

The Briggs powered pumps the engine gets wet and it doesn't start like I said usually the boat sinks because you can't get the pump started.

Honda also makes fire pumps for forest fire fighting they are reliable and start everytime.

Sport42
04-01-2010, 11:37 AM
I haven't had the need to pump salt water or put out forest fires, and the Briggs engine(s) have worked flawlessly for me...

RugerRedhawk
04-01-2010, 11:40 AM
I haven't had the need to pump salt water or put out forest fires, and the Briggs engine(s) have worked flawlessly for me...

lol that's kind of what I was thinking. In the end I think I'm going to get the husqvarna 7021p, not only because it has a honda on it, but it also seems to be put together a bit better than the craftsmans.