PDA

View Full Version : Roundup question

FLAhaulboy
03-28-2010, 01:23 PM
Does Roundup herbicide have an expiration date or will it last forever? How about if you pour Roundup in a "clear" plastic bottle & it is exposed to the sun for months, does it lose any of its effectiveness? Thanks.

thempikes
03-28-2010, 02:03 PM
Good question, don't know about the original unmixed container.

Have had it NOT work after is mixed with water and not used for several months.

We should ask our manufactures for useful life on all the products we use.

Think Green
03-28-2010, 02:29 PM
I will tell you that from years of using glyphosate, those clear off market containers will allow UV rays to penetrate to the chemical inside. It will light degrade over time. The original gly containers were blue, white and always impervious to light penetration. Light will destroy all liquid emulsions. Most times, being exposed to light will produce condensation inside that will dilute the glyphosate. After being mixed with water, the product will become ineffective. Water pH and other factors will render the product useless. Every chemical, suspension, or emulsion has a shelf life. IF you want to learn about herbicide efficiency, the google chemical half-life. There you can read more information.

grassman177
03-28-2010, 05:13 PM
we have some original round up in a white jug, it is like 15 yrs old. sometimes i use it(cause i forgeti t is there) and it still works fine. it is in a dark controlled temp cabinet thought inside.

Shegardi
03-28-2010, 07:54 PM
I was told by a rep a few years ago the shelf life was 2+ years