PDA

View Full Version : started fertilizer -allows KBG seed to germ while prohibiting weeds

1966vette
03-28-2010, 03:32 PM
I live in Kokomo, IN and missed the seeding window last fall. Thus, I want to ďdormantĒ over-seed my 1 acre lot but the weather after thanksgiving has been either too wet, too cold or too snowy until recently.

Iím just about finished leveling out the low areas of the yard and repairing the mole damage and I already have purchased 100# of high quality ďa blend of 5 different typesĒ KBG seed for this application.
I plan to rent a bluebird over-seeder and sow the seed next weekend weather permitting.

I want the seed in the ground ASAP because it maybe too wet when the weather warms up for the seed to germinate. KBG take almost 3 weeks to germinate and watering an acre of grass with garden hoses is almost impossible. Thus, I want to take advantage of the damp early spring weather.

Iím already seeing moss and weeds starting to grow in the bare areas of the lawn. Does anyone make a started fertilizer that allows KBG to germinate and thrive while prohibiting weed growth?

Iím also concerned that the existing grass will start to grow and make it difficult for the new grass to get started because I will have to mow it every 5 days. What is the solution let the existing grass grow until the new grass is 2Ē tall?

Thanks in advance for helping!
Andy

tombo82685
03-28-2010, 05:54 PM
yes scotts has a product that allows you to grow seed, but inhibits crabgrass formation. Basically get a product that has siduron/tuperspan.

Runner
03-28-2010, 05:55 PM
No. Drill your seed in, use a good starter fertilizer, (something with high Phos, like 18-24-12) and keep watering... Keep it damp. Mow when your regular grass reaches a height that you are taking no more than 1/3 the blade off (normal cutting condition). Do not wait and let the existing grass get too tall (like until the new grass gets 2" tall). this will only hinder the not only the new grass from growing, but will also hinder new seed germination because of lack of light. Fertilize again about 3 weeks after the new seed is put in and pound it hard.

edit: we were typing these at the same time...My "No" wasn't directed at your post or tupersan suggestion.:) He may still have weed growth though, even with the tupersan...a huge difference will be made if the soil is kept CONSISTENTLY damp. :)

DUSTYCEDAR
03-28-2010, 06:05 PM
tupersan cost a bundle and dont work as well and they say
i have used it in the past and works ok but not great

tombo82685
03-28-2010, 06:29 PM
tupersan cost a bundle and dont work as well and they say
i have used it in the past and works ok but not great

Ahh ok, i've only used siduron once with the scotts product that allows you to grow seed but prevents crabgrass and it worked fairly well with the seed germination.

RigglePLC
03-28-2010, 10:00 PM
Andy,
Listen to Runner--drill seed. I know you want to take advantage of the moist conditions...but...the soil is too cold yet. You should wait until soil temp is about 50. Put another way, an air temp of about 65, and not much frost at night. Put another way...about the date of the first mowing. I would estimate about April 15...but if its a warm season...maybe sooner. I am glad you are using top-quality seed--but remembeer bluegrass is very slow to get started. Be Patient. To help your new grass get started before seeding, ****** your present grass by mowing it short as possible. Tough to water with an acre with a hose, be sure to use a battery operated timer--big help.

The Scotts starter fert for new seed (siduron/Tupersan) costs double and lasts only about half as long as standard crabgrass control. It does almost nothing for other weeds. Spray your weeds after the second mowing of new grass--about 8 weeks after seeding. Let us know how it works out--and take pictures.

1966vette
04-03-2010, 05:32 PM
Guys!

Thanks for the advice on the lawn cutting, fertilizing and KBG seeding. I'm using Cisco best KBG seed:
http://ciscoseedsnews.com/downloads/Premium%20Sod%20Blend.pdf

Earlier in the week, I emailed Cisco and requested a starter fertilizer for my application & their brand was suggested - Endure Seed Starter Fertilizer
http://www.ciscoseeds.com/pdfs/EndurePremValuePrograms.pdf

Has anyone used this fertilizer? Were you happy with the result?

Thanks in advance for helping!
Andy

RigglePLC
04-03-2010, 09:54 PM
Proprietary bluegrasses are the best-but they didn't tell you which they planned to use. Seed companies often switch depending on availability and cost. So no problem.

The starter fert is fine, I have not used it. But you can get some locally just as easy.