PDA

View Full Version : Midwest Guys - Fertilizer/Weed Control Schedule + Ride=On Spreader/Sprayer

lawnlandscape
03-28-2010, 05:31 PM
I'm wondering how many apps you guys do and how many visits. KGB is recommended to have 4lbs. N per acre per season. So... I have always done 4 apps of fertilizer. and 2 apps of weed control (spray), one in spring, and once in summer...

Next year I will have a ride on spreader/sprayer. I did not have this before. I am wounding if any of you guys still do the 6 applications, but do them in 4 visits. Just because you can spread and spray for 2 of them anyway. seems like your late spring & fall applications could be fert/weed control applications.

If any of you do this, do you still tell your customers they will be getting 6 applications, but they will happen over 4 visits?

Thanks for your imput!

americanlawn
03-28-2010, 05:43 PM
We "sell" up to five app's MAX. Other LCO's here are trying to sell 6 & 7 app's...........to me more than five app's is a ripoff. :hammerhead::hammerhead:

Our Program was originally put together by ISU. ISU says, "If you can't get the job done with 4 or 5 app's"..........:confused::confused:

We concur.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
03-28-2010, 05:50 PM
4 or 5 apps are my staple programs. .8lb to 1lb N per trip. All apps include weed control (either pre 1st rd or post all other rounds (some just spot spray))

lawnlandscape
03-28-2010, 05:59 PM
Then with those 4 aps, you are spreading and spraying for some of them... right?

Your costs much be much higher per ap then. How do you explain this to your customers.

I think aps and visits are 2 completely different things.

You must have more then 4-5 aps. 1 lb N per ap x 4lbs = 4 visits. That would mean your only doing one weed control ap per year.

If I go to a home, and I spread fert, and spray weed control, I just made 2 applications. Don't you agree?

ryde307
03-28-2010, 05:59 PM
4 apps.
rd 1 pre and fert
rd 2 fert, plus weed control spot spraying as much as possible blanket areas in needed
rd 3 fert, minimal spot spraying weed control
rd 4 same

lawnlandscape
03-28-2010, 06:14 PM
Visit 1:
Ap 1 - Fert/Pre-emerg

Visit 2:
Ap 2 - Fertilization
Ap 3 - Weed Control - Blanket Coverage

Visit 3: (Only for my customers that would like grub control)
Ap 4 - Grub Control

Visit 4:
Ap 5 - Lawn Fertilization
Ap 6 - Weed Control - Blanket Coverage

Visit 5:
Ap 7 - Lawn Fertilization (Winterizer)

All of my lawn fertilizers are different based on what time of the year they are going down. Applications and visits and completely different meanings. For you guys that are fertilizing and doing weed control in the same visit, and calling it only one application, how are you explaining that to your customers??

How you make your customers understand the difference between your granular fertilization and spray weed control, compared to the guy who uses weed and feed, if you only call it ONE AP.

pieperlc
03-28-2010, 06:47 PM
We used to do 5 apps-4 fert, 1 weed. Then we bought a PG and did the weed control w/a fert app. Didn't explain anything to the customer as we sold the program as 4 fertilizer applications & 1 weed control application. We never had any complaints. This year we changed things up a bit and sold it as a four app program. Four ferts and two weed apps. Communication is key in my opinion. I sell a green and weed free lawn, not 4, 5, or 6 apps. Do you sell them "visits" or "applications"?

SeedPro
03-28-2010, 07:27 PM
6 apps
.75 lbs of N each visit 5 weeks apart

4 apps(commercial...1lb of N each visit with weed control) 6 weeks apart

I also do grub control which is a 7th app but that's done with round 3

RABBITMAN11
03-28-2010, 08:36 PM
We do 10 apps round 1 prem. 2 prem split 3 blanket weed control 4 surface insect 5 fert 6 grub and fert 7 sight inspection 8 weed control 9 winter fert 10 sight inspection.
Posted via Mobile Device

DA Quality Lawn & YS
03-28-2010, 09:22 PM
I call an 'app' fert + weed control. The customer will expect nothing less than both on each visit. Yes my per app costs are more this way, but I price to make good profit.

Also, I don't want to be making tons of trips to custs lawns just to apply fert one time, and liquid squirts the next.

Shegardi
03-28-2010, 09:32 PM
Whether you call it a visit or an app is irrelevant, it's what the customer gets for their money that counts....green weed free turf. I do 4-6 apps on residentials depending on the customer's need and whether or not they want to take the risk of grubs.

RABBITMAN11
03-28-2010, 09:37 PM
I'm thinking of adding two more apps
Posted via Mobile Device

ryde307
03-28-2010, 09:40 PM
I call an 'app' fert + weed control. The customer will expect nothing less than both on each visit. Yes my per app costs are more this way, but I price to make good profit.

Also, I don't want to be making tons of trips to custs lawns just to apply fert one time, and liquid squirts the next.

This is the same for us. I guess its also the only way I know and have seen. I would expect to get both when I am paying for a service.

lawnlandscape
03-28-2010, 10:23 PM
6 apps
.75 lbs of N each visit 5 weeks apart

4 apps(commercial...1lb of N each visit with weed control) 6 weeks apart

I also do grub control which is a 7th app but that's done with round 3

Why would you not do 1lf of N per visit for your home aps. Does not seem honest to me.. Sounds like a way to milk them for 2 more visit.

Sounds like you use weed & feed.

lawnlandscape
03-28-2010, 10:25 PM
We used to do 5 apps-4 fert, 1 weed. Then we bought a PG and did the weed control w/a fert app. Didn't explain anything to the customer as we sold the program as 4 fertilizer applications & 1 weed control application. We never had any complaints. This year we changed things up a bit and sold it as a four app program. Four ferts and two weed apps. Communication is key in my opinion. I sell a green and weed free lawn, not 4, 5, or 6 apps. Do you sell them "visits" or "applications"?

I sell applications. Otherwise the guy who uses weed and feed could say he is applying a fertilization and weed control, just like I am, but with a very crappy setup.

lawnlandscape
03-28-2010, 10:27 PM

Right, but what I am saying is that your costs for doing it the correct way are much higher then the person using weed & feed, who can claim he is doing the same thing.

GravelyGuy
03-28-2010, 10:34 PM
Some lawns don't need fert every application, especially the ones that I mow.:laugh:

a plus bob
03-28-2010, 10:38 PM
Some lawns don't need fert every application, especially the ones that I mow.:laugh:

Hit them hard and hit them often you can put lights on your mower :)

Heidi J.
03-28-2010, 10:54 PM
Ahem.. Midwest gals too right:laugh:

We offer 6. Pre-m, weed and feed, summerfert/grub control, late summer fert, fall weed and feed and late fall winterizer. .75lbs.

We do it like this for a few reasons:
1. Competitors offer 8 app.
2. When we offered only 5 people wanted 6
3. We can keep a better eye on lawn

Each visit is the same price except for rd.3 if they get grub control. I don't think this is wasteful at all. We taylor our program to what our customers want and what the state suggests.. nothing more, nothing less.

JMO

GravelyGuy
03-28-2010, 11:14 PM
Hit them hard and hit them often you can put lights on your mower :)

I still have to push and pull. I've been hoping to get a call from LT Rich saying there running ahead of schedule, but nothing yet:rolleyes:

TL1981
03-28-2010, 11:14 PM
Visit 1:
Ap 1 - Fert/Pre-emerg

Visit 2:
Ap 2 - Fertilization
Ap 3 - Weed Control - Blanket Coverage

Visit 3: (Only for my customers that would like grub control)
Ap 4 - Grub Control

Visit 4:
Ap 5 - Lawn Fertilization
Ap 6 - Weed Control - Blanket Coverage

Visit 5:
Ap 7 - Lawn Fertilization (Winterizer)

All of my lawn fertilizers are different based on what time of the year they are going down. Applications and visits and completely different meanings. For you guys that are fertilizing and doing weed control in the same visit, and calling it only one application, how are you explaining that to your customers??

How you make your customers understand the difference between your granular fertilization and spray weed control, compared to the guy who uses weed and feed, if you only call it ONE AP.

You are putting way to much empesis on seperating the two treatments into two applications. You will find that most companies in this business call a visit ONE round even if they are applying granular fert and spraying weeds - it's just standard. If you want the customer to know that you are infact applying two products at the same time you tell them this and explain it. A perfect time for explanation of your program is when you go out to measure their lawn face to face and sell them, then hand them a brochure/sheet that outlines what you just told them. They don't need to be reminded or have it explained to them everytime you are on site that you are making 1 or 2 'applications' because (by law) you will leave a customer notification sheet outlining the products applied per that round. Simple. And if that is not enough then the invoice that you send them should be itemized or atleast have a good description of the service.

Young Bros
03-28-2010, 11:46 PM
We do 1-6 apps. .5 to .75 lbs of N per app. Blanket w/c 2-3 apps. Spot spray the rest. Pre and post crabgrass. Insect and disease seperate.

jasontimm
03-29-2010, 12:21 AM
We do 10 apps round 1 prem. 2 prem split 3 blanket weed control 4 surface insect 5 fert 6 grub and fert 7 sight inspection 8 weed control 9 winter fert 10 sight inspection.
Posted via Mobile Device

I've got the same program rabbit, and i also was thinking of adding two more site inspections, instead i added 10 dollars more to the inspections, i figure i can justify the 10 bucks because now when i drive by to look at the lawn, i roll my window down.

RABBITMAN11
03-29-2010, 06:52 AM
That's a good idea to cover your gas!
Posted via Mobile Device

SeedPro
03-29-2010, 07:15 AM
10 visits a year with a 28 week growing season? That's a visit every three weeks tops. How many customers do you guys have.

RABBITMAN11
03-29-2010, 11:01 AM
Dude Im just being dumb
Posted via Mobile Device

RABBITMAN11
03-29-2010, 11:02 AM
Though it could be done with t 3000 since it is capable of 44 acres per day
Posted via Mobile Device