PDA

View Full Version : Troubled lawn...hope it can be saved instead of starting over...please take a look.

joecantrell
03-28-2010, 06:44 PM
Hello!
I just bought this property. This troubled lawn is now mine. I am located in Loganville, GA. Does it look like I can weed/feed and overseed to save this lawn? Thanks to all for taking the time to look and reply! Any suggestions on seed type? etc..

zanemoseley
03-28-2010, 07:23 PM
I'm a homeowner in TN and have recently built a home on a 2 acre sloped lot with clay soil and have had my fair share of problems. In the fall I spent $5k to bring in 10 loads of topsoil (only 1" roughly on my lot) and have a great local guy and his son do the skid steer work, I helped on the seeding/fertilizing and pickup work. Looks like you may have tall fescue as I do but being south of me it may be Bermuda. I just did a core aerate, overseed and fertilize yesterday and plan to do so again in the fall. I would recommend the same to you but you may want to just wait for the Fall as its getting further into the successful time to seed Fescue. With as little grass as you currently have I would recommend core aerating 2X, overseeding (if fescue then I'd do 5-8lb per 1,000 sqft due to your lack of grass) and fertilze. I would probably fertilize twice a month or more apart (1/2 - 1 lb of N per 1,000 sq/ft). Hope this helps some, perhaps some pros will chime in with some more advice.

joecantrell
03-28-2010, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the advice! I think it might be a mix of tall fescue and bermuda. I do plan to start aerating this weekend.

Thanks so much

zanemoseley
03-28-2010, 09:17 PM
If you can't get the seed in the ground in the next week I'd wait till Fall. Spring seeding of Fescue can be tricky, that's what we did last year and it failed miserably. Your soil does look better than mine though. If you have drainage issues that are causing washed out areas that's the really annoying part, then not do you only have little or no grass but huge gulley's.

ksJoe
03-28-2010, 11:28 PM
Do you mind having the Bermuda in there too?

If you want the Bermuda gone, that's a big (time consuming, expensive, and probably never ending) fight. If you want just Fescue that would affect how I'd get started.

joecantrell
03-29-2010, 03:10 PM
No I certainly do not mind the bermuda..I just want to rid the yard of the patchy look.
Thanks for your reply

joecantrell
03-30-2010, 08:38 AM
Do you think I would have better luck overseeding with bermuda? because of time of year and already having some bermuda established...

thanks