PDA

View Full Version : Best Aerator for Athletic Fields

CornerstoneCS
03-28-2010, 07:46 PM
I am looking for suggestions on the best type and brand of aerator for athletic fields.
I care for a couple dozen soccer fields in my area and my customers are looking to have aerating done now. Any help is appreciated.

brookviewlawncare
03-28-2010, 08:26 PM
Redexim has a good line http://www.redexim.com/

lawn king
03-29-2010, 08:08 PM
How much can you afford to spend?

kenneth meals
03-29-2010, 08:57 PM
A John Deere Aercore would be good they have a 1000,1500, and 2000 series. I'd say the 1000 would good for your needs. The Redexim/charterhouse aerifiers are great, but they are alittle more exspensive and tractor requirements are more due to thier weight. But will breakup compaction really good due to the tine kicking feature.

CornerstoneCS
03-30-2010, 04:41 PM
How much can you afford to spend?

I could probably afford around $1,000. Maybe more if it was a very good product that would save me time.

A John Deere Aercore would be good they have a 1000,1500, and 2000 series. I'd say the 1000 would good for your needs. The Redexim/charterhouse aerifiers are great, but they are alittle more exspensive and tractor requirements are more due to thier weight. But will breakup compaction really good due to the tine kicking feature.

Thanks, I will look into those Deere aerators. I will be pulling this with either an Exmark Lazer Z 60" or an ATV. Not sure which one yet.

lawn king
03-30-2010, 05:04 PM
You should rent a tractor/aerator or sub out the work. $1000. is not going to get you anything near what you are looking for! If you plan to do serious core aerations on a regular basis, forget about using an atv or a ztm, you need a tractor with a cat #1- 3 point hitch.

CornerstoneCS
03-30-2010, 05:11 PM
You should rent a tractor/aerator or sub out the work. $1000. is not going to get you anything near what you are looking for! If you plan to do serious core aerations on a regular basis, forget about using an atv or a ztm, you need a tractor with a cat #1- 3 point hitch.

Yea, I hear you on that one. A 75-100 horse tractor is a purchase that I'm looking at making in the next couple of years. Unfortunately it is just not in the budget for a near future purchase.

I will look into subcontracting the work, but do you have any suggestions for one that I can use for towing behind an ATV that would still do a decent job? And, is using a core aerator the best for athletic fields?

Thanks again for the help!

lawn king
03-30-2010, 06:34 PM
I dont but im sure there are people here that do, check the mowing forums.

SeedPro
03-30-2010, 08:18 PM
Ryan Tracaire if you have a tractor with a 3 point hitch.

lawn king
03-31-2010, 10:44 PM
I like the woods pl series for cat #1, 3 point hitch. The weight tray can hold 1000 lbs, thus allowing a broad range of penetration in various types of topsoils and moisture conditions.

turf hokie
04-01-2010, 11:23 AM
Yea, I hear you on that one. A 75-100 horse tractor is a purchase that I'm looking at making in the next couple of years. Unfortunately it is just not in the budget for a near future purchase.

I will look into subcontracting the work, but do you have any suggestions for one that I can use for towing behind an ATV that would still do a decent job? And, is using a core aerator the best for athletic fields?

Thanks again for the help!

If you have a 4WD ATV and I assume you do, then you can go as big as a 60" tow behind from Lesco. We have done it with good success until we can justify the larger machine.

You will spend in the ball park of 2grand for a 60" if I remember.

CornerstoneCS
04-01-2010, 11:33 AM
If you have a 4WD ATV and I assume you do, then you can go as big as a 60" tow behind from Lesco. We have done it with good success until we can justify the larger machine.

That sounds about perfect for what I'm looking for. I could do 2 grand for something like that. Do you know of the best place for purchasing one?

lawn king
04-01-2010, 08:58 PM

Shop around, i paid $2000. for my woods 72" last august. I had to travel out of state to get that price, 600 miles round trip to upper state maine, but they were $1000. cheaper than any dealer in massachusetts!