PDA

View Full Version : Large Mulch Estimate

Exmark Guy
03-28-2010, 09:11 PM
Today I took some estimates for a large mulch job and have a few questions. First off, the mulch needed is 14 cubic yards. There is also 439 feet of edging that needs to be done. (I measured with a walk behind wheel) I am going to rent a edger for 72$ per day, and think I should have bed edged and preped for mulch within a day. I am charging .25 per foot for edging, Is that reasonable? Then my labor is 25$ per hour. My helper will help me with the mulching. So heres the total break down-
Mulch-14yds. @ 15= 210$
Bed Edger-72 per day=72$
439 ft. edging @ .25 ft.= 109.75
Gas & Drive Time-30$
Labor day 1-5 hrs. @ 25hr=125$
Labor day 2-5 hrs. @ 25hr=125$ X 2=250
---------------------------------------------
total cost =796.75

Do you think my prices are reasonable? Please tell me if I am charging to much or not enough. I dont want to charge to much for this job, then not get called back because I am to high, but I also want to profit. My main concern is the edging, is .25$ per foot good, or am I to cheap? Sorry for long post, I just want to make sure im not working for nothing on this job.

yardatwork
03-28-2010, 09:19 PM
I'd charge per yard...$50-$65 (times 14 yards) + cost of yard of mulch and $.75-$1.00 per foot to edge. I would also do the edging with a spade shovel and my foot or a stick edger if it's an existing edge. Also, you won't be paying your helper $25/hr so your customer might question that.

jblatti13
03-28-2010, 09:20 PM
i posted a similar question yesterday for almost the same job you have. im bidding a job for 15 yards, 240 ft of edging, and a few hours of bed prep.
my estimate came in at 1420, and most of the guys on here agreed that was a fair estimate, not too crazy high but not low either. even without there help, i would say you're low.

Exmark Guy
03-28-2010, 09:25 PM
Ok, so your saying I need to charge a price per yard of mulch I lay, Is that include preping the bed, or just laying the mulch. I think I will do like .70 per foot of edging, but I dont think I will do it by hand because I will be making a new edge, also, do you think my helper should be making less then me, Is that what you mean when you say customers will question my rate? Sorry for all the questions, I just have never done this large of a mulch job before.

Glenn Lawn Care
03-28-2010, 09:25 PM
you my friend are a what we call a low baller. i just pluged my numbers in where yours are and my estimate was $700 more then yours!:hammerhead::dizzy:

Exmark Guy
03-28-2010, 09:32 PM
glen, thanks, thats what I was asking, I am not sure exactly sure what I should be charging. I have only done small jobs before like 3 yards, so now when I put this bid together, I wanted to ask some of you guys and see what you thought I needed to do. And now, I know that I am way to low. By no means, am I trying to low ball. I just dont want to rip off this customer, but it looks like Im ripping off myself.

jblatti13
03-28-2010, 09:37 PM
as long as your not purposefully lowballing haha... no, hes right in a sense.
and if youve done a 3 yard job before, what did that run? if you have a set amount of numbers, you should be able to plug them in and adjust anything, like travel time, how far from the dump spot are you taking mulch, stuff like that.

but for 14 yards i would be nowhere under 1k, no matter what the circumstances are. hauling 14 yards around is not easy work.

Exmark Guy
03-28-2010, 09:43 PM
for those jobs I did before, the owner just bought baged mulch and I spread it for them, and only edged very little with a spade. thanks for all the help. I am now going to go through and adjust my numbers. I will let you know what I get.

Shegardi
03-28-2010, 09:44 PM
No offense intended, but I wouldn't get out of bed and drive out there for $ 25/hr. Also, if your helper is an employee on the payroll, you are not charging enough for him either after you add in your costs for taxes, etc.

silverado212
03-28-2010, 10:54 PM
Are you having the mulch delivered or are you hauling it? If you are hauling it $30 for fuel isn't gonna cut it. Figure 2-4 yds per trip. Best case 4 trips.
Mulch = $xx per yd Covers mulch, time, fuel
Edger = $100 You have to fuel it back up and your time and travel
If you are having delivered mark up your price say 10-20%.

lawnlandscape
03-28-2010, 10:56 PM
yes, there is not reason to charge anything under $40 per man hour for any of the work you do.

You just basically told us, your paying your employee under the table, dont have insurance, and don't pay taxes = lowblaller

ryde307
03-29-2010, 12:06 AM
For us we charge 2x or more what you do for labor. In our area its the norm. I dont know your area but am going to guess 40 per man hr is a fair rate for you. So here is a basic bid with somewhat my numbers somewhat yours. Hope it helps.

Mulch- $40 per yard installed plus retail price on mulch. So if you paid 15 per yard lets say retail is 17. so 14x(40+17)=798

I dont know how much bed prep but lets say 1 man hr. Then you have debris to get rid of $50. 1x40+50= 90

Rental of machine 72 plus your hassle of getting it and refueling. $100

Edging- 439ft x .70 = 307.30 round up to $310

I think that is everything so your total would be- $1318

Hope that helps somewhat

DixieFerris
03-29-2010, 11:05 AM
We charge $80 a yard delivered/edged/installed on the average job. If the edges are done or the customer has metal edging or stone borders or its a sidewalk then its around $70/yrd, and if the beds are a mess and its been a long time without any edging and definition, more towards $90 a yard. We send out a 2 man crew a few days in advance to prep the edges and bed, then the mulch guys will be by with the Mulch Mule. we bought the 10 yard mule and used it the other day, and on average we can unload 10 yards and dump it in the beds in about 20-30 mins, and then 1 guy goes to fill it up while the other two rake it out. It took about 1 hour total to installed 10 yards with the machine, and we did 60 yrds the first day with it, unreal. We used to think 30 was a good day with 4 or more guys, haha. I'm sure in the right situation we can push 80+ yards with this thing. Pics to come soon!

lawnlandscape
03-29-2010, 11:11 AM
We charge $80 a yard delivered/edged/installed on the average job. If the edges are done or the customer has metal edging or stone borders or its a sidewalk then its around $70/yrd, and if the beds are a mess and its been a long time without any edging and definition, more towards $90 a yard. We send out a 2 man crew a few days in advance to prep the edges and bed, then the mulch guys will be by with the Mulch Mule. we bought the 10 yard mule and used it the other day, and on average we can unload 10 yards and dump it in the beds in about 20-30 mins, and then 1 guy goes to fill it up while the other two rake it out. It took about 1 hour total to installed 10 yards with the machine, and we did 60 yrds the first day with it, unreal. We used to think 30 was a good day with 4 or more guys, haha. I'm sure in the right situation we can push 80+ yards with this thing. Pics to come soon!

I would love to see pics of this

Darryl G
03-29-2010, 11:26 AM
Today I took some estimates for a large mulch job and have a few questions. First off, the mulch needed is 14 cubic yards. There is also 439 feet of edging that needs to be done. (I measured with a walk behind wheel) I am going to rent a edger for 72$ per day, and think I should have bed edged and preped for mulch within a day. I am charging .25 per foot for edging, Is that reasonable? Then my labor is 25$ per hour. My helper will help me with the mulching. So heres the total break down-
Mulch-14yds. @ 15= 210$
Bed Edger-72 per day=72$
439 ft. edging @ .25 ft.= 109.75
Gas & Drive Time-30$
Labor day 1-5 hrs. @ 25hr=125$
Labor day 2-5 hrs. @ 25hr=125$ X 2=250
---------------------------------------------
total cost =796.75

Do you think my prices are reasonable? Please tell me if I am charging to much or not enough. I dont want to charge to much for this job, then not get called back because I am to high, but I also want to profit. My main concern is the edging, is .25$ per foot good, or am I to cheap? Sorry for long post, I just want to make sure im not working for nothing on this job.

That mulch price is crazy low to me and so is the $25/hour. My labor alone would be about what your price is.

yardatwork
03-29-2010, 11:48 PM
I never show an hourly. That's why you should set a rate you charge for spreading one yard of mulch...like $65 per yard. That way you never show what you make per hour and what your helper makes. Also, why pay a helper the same as you...is he putting his neck on the line, is he carrying the insurance, is he paying you vehicle payment, gas, equipment, renting the equipment, etc? Is he the boss? Paying him the same, makes him a partner! Pay him a nice wage, but not the same rate as you.

SDNCLAWNCARE
03-30-2010, 09:45 PM
I just quoted a mulching job of 30 yrds.... Cleaning out the beds / Mulch delivery / and installed 2400.00....

lawnlandscape
03-31-2010, 10:02 AM
I remember last year I did a mulch bid for a huge house. The owner was a guy who owned a card board box company in the area. Mulch prices around me are just crazy. We were playing like $28 per yard. I submitted the bid at $61 per yard, delivered, and spread.

He send me a very cocky email saying, "I just wanted to share some market research with you. Last year our mulching was done for $45-$50 per yard. " Among other things...

While I was there measuring up the beds, he was complaining about how the people last year that did it, through the mulch in piles behind the shrubs, and did not have it evenly spread out.

21 yards were needed so my bid was $2,181 + Sales tax.

I sent him him back an email that said that that it was the best price I could do it for, and explained to him that he would be getting a much better job done then previously.

I tried to follow up with him a 2 weeks later, and he said he would give a call back when he decides. He never called me back of course.

This bid was not unreasonable was it?? It looks very low compared some others here.

Darryl G
03-31-2010, 10:55 AM
I get outbid on mulch jobs all the time, but it's because I use premium mulches and install them to near perfection...you won't see any lump or humps or bumps in beds I do. I just can't bring myself to use crappy materials and do a lousy job, so they have to pay the price.

I install cedar bark, pine bark and on occasion hemlock mulch for the most part, and around here they aren't cheap. The cheapest mulch around here is a double ground hardwood mulch from a large tree company at $22/yd...it's ok, but it smells kinda funky at first, doesn't hold as tight as the bark mulches and tends to grow fungus...I restrict it's use to low priority beds such as those in a rear yard bed if the customer's budget won't allow a higher grade material.

rosarioslawncutters
03-31-2010, 10:18 PM
i am also new at mulching but your price seems kinda low...my price would of been $1190 to 1330
since i just started the mulching thing last year and i am not good at calculating things yet.... i charge my customer $85 to $95 per cubic yard (price includes mulch and labor)

price for mulch around here usually cost from $18 to $35 the most common one i use is dark bark at $29 per yard

rosarioslawncutters
03-31-2010, 10:26 PM
I just quoted a mulching job of 30 yrds.... Cleaning out the beds / Mulch delivery / and installed 2400.00....

i would be around that price my self too

minix
04-05-2010, 11:38 AM
You guys have it easy Im getting ready to lay down 140 yards

R & R Yard Designs
04-05-2010, 04:58 PM
Mini how many guys you got doing it. We got 140 coming this week also then 90 next week
Posted via Mobile Device

john ATL
05-13-2010, 01:47 PM
i wanted to get some help on an estimate to how much to charge for:

EDGING- around the beds * 100 feet of edging

Removal- 2 ilex, holly 5 feet tall

trimming- 10 ilex 6 feet tall
8 ilex 4 feet tall
* i am also going to take all the yard waste
TOOL
- Stihl blower BR 420
-2 Ames True Temper Pruning