PDA

View Full Version : Constructive Criticism

Stevegotcrabgrass
03-28-2010, 09:46 PM
Working on a design for a slice of pie shaped area near a driveway. The owner would like something low maintenance but attractive. The image is attached of my ideas. The purple reddish shrubs are crimson pygmy barberry, The round shrubs are dwarf boxwoods only get 2ft wide by 3ft high about, The focal tree is a true dwarf Hinoki get to about 2/5-3 ft tall, I have some ornamental grasses to soften up the rocks and light post, the rocks are being used to take up some space, add texture and be low maintenance, I then have some impatients as annuals.....

What do you guys think? Tips, ideas? It will be mulched with Black mulch. a huge juniper was there previously and we ripped it out....the soil will need some work as it's fairly sandy......Thanks.

Stevegotcrabgrass
03-29-2010, 09:43 AM
Monday am bump....rainy as hell here today

Stevegotcrabgrass
03-29-2010, 03:59 PM
Is it that bad lol.....

tadpole
03-29-2010, 05:13 PM
I think that it looks OK. It's the front of the house that really needs some redesigning. Original planting was allowed to get entirely too tall.

Stevegotcrabgrass
03-29-2010, 05:51 PM
I think that it looks OK. It's the front of the house that really needs some redesigning. Original planting was allowed to get entirely too tall.

Ha. That is AFTER I ripped out two HUGE shrubs which pretty much elimiated the front door from sight...and it's after I trimmed up the remaining shrubs. She is aware that those are too big and need to go but she wanted to do something for the front....I would rather her save her money for next season and spend what she can on ripping everything down now...but she is SET on getting landscaping done in those areas. She is also SET on black mulch...thank you for your feed back too.

GrazerZ
03-29-2010, 08:55 PM
I would probably not force symmetry on a bed like that.Does not fit.
Take out the landscape light,there is already a light there.Three large clumps of iris is a lot for a bed that size.
Barberry either are or will be classed invasive in New York soon.

Isobel
03-29-2010, 08:56 PM
the only concern i'd have is how close you have woody shrubs near the street or driveway. i'd be worried about snow from passing snow plows burying and possibly killing shrubs located there.

Stevegotcrabgrass
03-29-2010, 09:04 PM
the only concern i'd have is how close you have woody shrubs near the street or driveway. i'd be worried about snow from passing snow plows burying and possibly killing shrubs located there.

I understand your worry about snow....that is an issue...I might rethink my idea.....I wouldn't want that Hinoki to get killed...not a cheap tree......
a lot of sand and rocks in the bed due to plowing as well...

Any suggestions on a landscape that is located next to the street/driveway...

I don't have any Iris's in the landscape design? Those are ornamental grasses though Iris would look nice as well.

Thanks again, keep the suggestions comming

castle555
03-30-2010, 04:45 AM
Well, you get points for putting it out there. refer to the climate zone in Sunset Garden Book -I have the western edition, however all of those items grow where I live. I see NY on your post, and don't really know your specific weather or seasonal needs,
Not bad, not bad. .. Seems you have the right idea and does it fit the character of the rest of the yard?
I would use an Acer palmatum Dissectum on a low mound there instead of the Hinoki -those dwarf Hinoki Cypress grow like watching moss on a rock -beautiful but slow and will not reach a good height for a long time. Let the Jap. Maple get a little height -raise the canopy and then it can fall around the other plants. Even that will take some time as the rest grow in.
ANd the rounded soft forms of the boxwood give contrast to the shape of the grasses you are going to use. How about a dwarf Phorium tenax instead? Or using an African Iris Dietes Bicolor? -Just some suggestions.
In my part of California (the big irrigated desert) we use the dwarf Boxwood Buxus 'Suffrucitosa' try that or the 'Winter Gem' which may require a once or twice a year shaping -all low maint.

Try a perennial like trailing purple verbena for color with some marigolds
or Dwarf daylillies like 'Stella de Oro' -thats a great one.
And, finally, what about a well placed native boulder to "anchor" that island
and complement the tree's shape

White Gardens
03-30-2010, 07:49 AM
I agree with doing the front. Curb appeal is key in this housing market, so I think the best return on the investment is the landscaping in the front.

The bed looks OK. I would maybe do it a little simpler, meaning just a shrub some low lying lilies, and a rock.

Stevegotcrabgrass
03-30-2010, 09:44 AM
Great advice again from all....keep it coming...
To the above posters thank you.
The plants will do fine in our planting zone. The design above was done quick an is really not to scale i'd say. The planting bed is actually pretty large. I believe that if I do the front beds, Next season I can rip the other overgrown shurbs and do those beds for a nice job. She hired me for weekly maintenance because she said we did a great job taking out the large plants.....

Also keep in mind there is another bed exactly the same on the other side of the drive way...i would make them similar....

Thoughts...

White Gardens
03-30-2010, 09:04 PM
Great advice again from all....keep it coming...
To the above posters thank you.
The plants will do fine in our planting zone. The design above was done quick an is really not to scale i'd say. The planting bed is actually pretty large. I believe that if I do the front beds, Next season I can rip the other overgrown shurbs and do those beds for a nice job. She hired me for weekly maintenance because she said we did a great job taking out the large plants.....

Also keep in mind there is another bed exactly the same on the other side of the drive way...i would make them similar....

Thoughts...

Ya, I think two would look good, one on each side. But, that's my own opinion. I could tell your image wasn't scaled correctly, but I didn't want to be that guy.:laugh: What program did you use and how long have you had it?

I slid into a client the same way. She had been burned by a couple of scapers and the last one that did a minor install never called back when she inquired about maintenance. Luckily I do work for her interior designer, and she refereed me. Needless to say I've done a sidewalk and install, and she has more plans in the work, and on top of it I stilll do the Bi-weekly landscape maintenance.

Stevegotcrabgrass
03-30-2010, 09:45 PM
Ya, I think two would look good, one on each side. But, that's my own opinion. I could tell your image wasn't scaled correctly, but I didn't want to be that guy.:laugh: What program did you use and how long have you had it?

I slid into a client the same way. She had been burned by a couple of scapers and the last one that did a minor install never called back when she inquired about maintenance. Luckily I do work for her interior designer, and she refereed me. Needless to say I've done a sidewalk and install, and she has more plans in the work, and on top of it I stilll do the Bi-weekly landscape maintenance.

THe program is a free one online....I use it to show clients my ideas...graph paper isn't as exciting to most people....It also helps we visualize placement. The hard part about the program is that you have to edit your own pics to put in the background.....haven't used it long...

She is a nice older woman who let her yard get outta control....

White Gardens
03-30-2010, 09:56 PM
Do yourself a favor and buy a good program when you get the chance. The better 3-D images will help sell jobs, and with the actual images in the program and perspective edits, they'll look a lot better.

Stevegotcrabgrass
03-31-2010, 09:32 AM
Do yourself a favor and buy a good program when you get the chance. The better 3-D images will help sell jobs, and with the actual images in the program and perspective edits, they'll look a lot better.

I think this is realtime landscape trial edition. THey give you only a few items. THe rest you can use the photo editor to make the picture formatted correctly to use.

Dreams To Designs
03-31-2010, 11:00 AM
Consider the reason for this bed. Who will see it, really. Think about someone pulling into the driveway. Can they see that all across the hood? Do they need clearance for vehicles? Snow is a huge issue, from the street as well as the driveway. Where does all the snow end up at the end of your driveway, after you dig yourself out? Who's going to plant that annual color every year??? They don't seem to have too much time for the yard. Look at some salt tolerant perennials and grasses that will be sacrificial for the winter, but return for years of color and interest. If they really like the hinoki, make that your focal point and fill around it. Beware of dwarf hinoki, many are compacta which has a compacted scale type foliage, not necessarily in growth of the plant. The gold forms will typically grow slower and smaller because of the leaf color being other than green. Are deer a problem? Just wondering from your use of boxwood & barberry, and which varieties are they? Have to agree with Grazer, japanese barberry is a non-native invasive and should voluntarily be avoided but is being mandated by many states.

Kirk

White Gardens
03-31-2010, 11:36 AM
Ya, I'd listen to Kirk on this one. He does way more designing than I do.

Stevegotcrabgrass
03-31-2010, 12:10 PM
Consider the reason for this bed. Who will see it, really. Think about someone pulling into the driveway. Can they see that all across the hood? Do they need clearance for vehicles? Snow is a huge issue, from the street as well as the driveway. Where does all the snow end up at the end of your driveway, after you dig yourself out? Who's going to plant that annual color every year??? They don't seem to have too much time for the yard. Look at some salt tolerant perennials and grasses that will be sacrificial for the winter, but return for years of color and interest. If they really like the hinoki, make that your focal point and fill around it. Beware of dwarf hinoki, many are compacta which has a compacted scale type foliage, not necessarily in growth of the plant. The gold forms will typically grow slower and smaller because of the leaf color being other than green. Are deer a problem? Just wondering from your use of boxwood & barberry, and which varieties are they? Have to agree with Grazer, japanese barberry is a non-native invasive and should voluntarily be avoided but is being mandated by many states.

Kirk

Thanks very much for your imput. Deer are not a problem. I have not shown the design to the home owner yet. She is set on doing something there though. I am worried as ALL THE SNOW FROM PLOWS and the driveway end up there..

I will look into some salt tolerate perennials and grasses. I would like something though to give some color/texture during the winter so it doesn't look soo barren.. I will talk to the nursery manager at my supply house.. He is always full of great Ideas. I put the Hinoki into the design due to it's slow growth...I am NOT 100% sold on it however. I need something that doesn't get HUGE but will be attractive. I need an design that will be LOWER maintenance. I would be doing the annual plantings...I hope to do a great design so when she can afford to rip out the rest she automatically calls me without shopping around and I can do the rip out of those huge overgrown mess she has and desing the front of the house incorporating what has already been done on the two beds in the driveway...

I need to think ahead since she most likely will be doing the front of the house as well and i'd like to tie both of the area's together for a nice, clean, formal design..

I selected the barberry for it's smaller size. In my research I must have missed the invasiveness of the plant. I liked the color and texture it brought though. I will have to re-evaluate the design. This is one reason I like this site...and constructive feedback...thanks all.

Thanks again everyone...keep em coming...

AGLA
03-31-2010, 09:01 PM
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a84/laag/trial2.jpg

Clearly, I am not a photoimaging guy. I just wanted to make the point about having a lawn apron around the bed instead of keeping it tight to the hardscape.

I'd prefer it a little farther off of the pavement and I'd add some topography to it. Someone said earlier to look at what is going on and how you are affecting thaose things. But also, look at the broader view and ask yourself how the planting is going to or could affect the the look of the house. Sometimes these plantings enhance by framing the house and down playing the driveway, but sometimes they draw attention to the driveway and away from the house which is generally not good.

The view in this picture makes me want to put the planting at the corner of the walkway rather than the street in order to draw attention toward the front door and less attention to the driveway turnaround area.

White Gardens
03-31-2010, 10:27 PM
I like that AGLA. I've never considered making it an "island" so to speak instead of butting it up to the curb and drive.

Stevegotcrabgrass
04-01-2010, 09:38 AM
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a84/laag/trial2.jpg

Clearly, I am not a photoimaging guy. I just wanted to make the point about having a lawn apron around the bed instead of keeping it tight to the hardscape.

I'd prefer it a little farther off of the pavement and I'd add some topography to it. Someone said earlier to look at what is going on and how you are affecting thaose things. But also, look at the broader view and ask yourself how the planting is going to or could affect the the look of the house. Sometimes these plantings enhance by framing the house and down playing the driveway, but sometimes they draw attention to the driveway and away from the house which is generally not good.

The view in this picture makes me want to put the planting at the corner of the walkway rather than the street in order to draw attention toward the front door and less attention to the driveway turnaround area.

I also never thought of that too...I like the idea of putting grass around it...It also might add some protection to the bed/shrubs during our harsh winters....the driveway, as you mentioned, is not in the greatest of shape as well. I wish I had the before pic on this computer....that bed has NOT been changed, we just ripped out an enourmous Juniper...you COULD NOT see the light post until we ripped it down...almost cut into it because we did not know it was there...luckily I got on the ground to check between the bushed to see where I wanted to start cutting....Again great advice...I appreciate all the imput...keep it coming....

Stevegotcrabgrass
04-05-2010, 10:17 AM
After redoing the design in my Head, I think I am getting rid of the Hinoki, Barberry, garden lights. I am thinking in place of the Hinoki I am going to put a native rock, about 4'x4' as the focal point and two smaller rocks/boulders as accents. I am going to soften up the area with Japanese bloodgrass. I am going to place dwarf boxus and golden mops in a manner in which they will have protection from snow via the large rocks. These two plants will give the landscape color in the winter. I will also plant annuals, well annually. Putting the larger rock in the center as a focal point is great to me because it will take up a great deal of space and is zero maintenance. Any Idea? Concerns? The beds are about 17'x17' so they are a decent size.

Stevegotcrabgrass
04-06-2010, 02:53 PM
Also how big is a 100lb moss rock...approximate?