PDA

View Full Version : Estimating Large Commercial Property

LIVETOLEARN
03-28-2010, 10:50 PM
Guys could use some advice. I have a rather large hospital property, 24acres, that I am putting a mowing/trimming only price together on. Half of it is wide open mowing the other half is the usual parking lot island size and smaller areas tucked here and there around the building. Anyone have a feel for where pricing something like this should be? Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

JB1
03-28-2010, 10:53 PM
425 sounds good tonight.

topsites
03-28-2010, 11:13 PM
Tell them you have never mowed something that size but you'd like to ask for the
opportunity to cut it once, to see how you and your equipment handle things
and how long it takes and whether it's something you'd like to do on the regular
basis, as well tell them you'll gladly work out a good price for that one time
seeing how it's more for the purpose of determining cost and profit anyhow and at
the same rate they can see the quality of your work.

They'll probably let you have that first mow, say it nice and if you can't get it
together you might want to practice the speech before you go out there,
then just do it that one time and see how it goes, take it from there.

Worst case scenario you hate it, it takes forever and you boffed up the price so bad you're out one cut,
but that still way beats fouling up the price bad for the entire year.

Best case scenario you love it, can nail down a price, get the bid and sail smooth.

Because once that contract is signed... ;)

Anyhow...
That's my suggestion.

ajslands
03-28-2010, 11:24 PM
I figured about 1600$ per cut! If you're doing it for 425 that's like 17$ per acre.
Posted via Mobile Device

bohiaa
03-29-2010, 12:13 AM
Most of the time you will pick up a contract from this client. if they dont already have one, then you will need to inform them that the open area does NOT need serviceing once a week. most of the time areas like this get mowed by a brush hog about once a month. with a fine cut blade.

if you dont have a tractor this is where the sub contracting comes in.
you can start taking bids for subbing that part out.

the rest of the work will be up to you, I know what my team can do something for. and what there capeable of.
I'm afraid I dont know anything about your team nor your cost.

Best of luck

flatlander42
03-29-2010, 12:50 AM
12 acres of small stuff.....that is some time there.

bigw
03-29-2010, 12:51 AM
I figured about 1600$ per cut! If you're doing it for 425 that's like 17$ per acre.
Posted via Mobile Device

And you are doing it at 66$ per acre...neither one of you know how to bid a lawn this size!

SuperiorService.110mb.com
03-29-2010, 12:53 AM
Don't go tell them you will cut it once at one price and then give then a price for normal service to see your how long its takes. I can't believe Topsites would even post something like that. Its not like sleeping with a girl to decide if you want to see her again or not. Look at the site starting at one corner with a pen and notepad, you can figure it out total mow, edge, weedeat, and blow or brake it down and walk the property, mark your pad for every man hour you think the sections will take. After looking at the property add up the hours on your notepad and see if it sounds close to your first thoughts of time. Then all you need to do is times the man hours by your hourly man rate. If you really need the work you may want to take off a few bucks, if you can do without you may want to add to your total. Without looking at the property myself I can't really help anymore but that is how I quote any big job I look at from mowing- tree removal.

ajslands
03-29-2010, 01:03 AM
And you are doing it at 66$ per acre...neither one of you know how to bid a lawn this size!

I charge 65 an acre and iam making money, but I am bit doing 25 acre lots heck iam not even doing 10 acre lots, but hey! Iam 17 and and a one man show, (some times 2 guys) and I think 25 acres would be a little much for one guy. and it would take me like 6 hours just to mow, then you gotta figure in trimming and edging.

Would charging by the minute be a better idea, say 1.50 per minute?
Posted via Mobile Device

bigw
03-29-2010, 01:05 AM
I charge 65 an acre and iam making money, but I am bit doing 25 acre lots heck iam not even doing 10 acre lots, but hey! Iam 17 and and a one man show, (some times 2 guys) and I think 25 acres would be a little much for one guy. and it would take me like 6 hours just to mow, then you gotta figure in trimming and edging.

Posted via Mobile Device

65 for one or 2 acres maybe but 24 not a chance at that price...live and learn

ajslands
03-29-2010, 01:11 AM
How bout a buck 50 per minute I did in my head and I believe it would be about 640$ just to mow! Is that a better price, or still too high?
Posted via Mobile Device

SuperiorService.110mb.com
03-29-2010, 01:23 AM

Posted via Mobile Device

$65 per acre on a res. property with an acre or so is about right with trimming and all. And one guy about an hour sounds right. If your getting $90 per man hour, don't stop, that is great. You really need to see your total earnings for the week buy how many hours you spend on all your sites to see what you really bring in an hour.

$500.00-$750.00 sounds about right but I would need to see it. The way the ecomomy is right now they prabably are getting bids around the $500.00 mark

LIVETOLEARN
03-29-2010, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the ballpark number. I've done my homework just wanted some rough estimates for comparison. For those of you who have done this size project work before what does your overall $/sf price become for something of similar size? bigw

LwnmwrMan22
03-30-2010, 12:20 AM
About $20 / acre.

Although if it's alot of small sections like you say, then the price COULD get up to about $30 / acre, but really, not much more.

fiveoboy01
03-30-2010, 12:49 AM
About $20 / acre.

Although if it's alot of small sections like you say, then the price COULD get up to about $30 / acre, but really, not much more.

Your post must have a "catch", I just haven't been able to figure it out yet.

LwnmwrMan22
03-30-2010, 08:30 AM
No, no catch. Like others have said, $500-750, or roughly $20-30 an acre.

ALC-GregH
03-30-2010, 08:39 AM
How bout a buck 50 per minute I did in my head and I believe it would be about 640$ just to mow! Is that a better price, or still too high?
Posted via Mobile Device

so you can do all that mowing in 7hrs? You're god. :hammerhead:

fiveoboy01
03-31-2010, 12:41 AM
No, no catch. Like others have said, $500-750, or roughly $20-30 an acre.

Geez.

Not for me, someone else can have that crap:)