PDA

View Full Version : Trimmer and blower racks for enclosed trailer

wiseguyslawn
03-29-2010, 12:53 AM
Anyone have a good homemade ideas, if not best place to buy them thanks

SuperiorService.110mb.com
03-29-2010, 01:08 AM
get 1/2"x1/8" stock steel bar and cut to lenth. Put hose on 90% of the cut section, then put the end with no hose in a vise and bend the steel to the shape that best fits your needs. Next drill two holes in the steel where there is no hose and thats what will get mounted to your trailer. The hose will keep them from marking up your equipment and soften the bumps a little. I like to put the main support under the motor with a 2" lip and bent so the equipment sits against the wall so its easy in easy out but stays in place.

GrassIsGreenerLawnCare
03-29-2010, 02:42 AM
my trimmer rack was only $80 at local tractor supply co. i added rubber padding in the holders to keep the trimmer from bouncing around too much, i just couldnt bring myself to spend $300 on a rack i could of made myself. i could get u the name of it if u were interested, let me know. oh ya, if u dont want to spend alot stay away from the "weld-on" ones, just get the bolt-on style they hold perfectly fine

ALC-GregH
03-29-2010, 09:45 AM
my trimmer rack was only $80 at local tractor supply co. i added rubber padding in the holders to keep the trimmer from bouncing around too much, i just couldnt bring myself to spend $300 on a rack i could of made myself. i could get u the name of it if u were interested, let me know. oh ya, if u dont want to spend alot stay away from the "weld-on" ones, just get the bolt-on style they hold perfectly fine

You get what you pay for as they say. That $80 rack is cheap and I don't mean the price. If you could make one like an Extreme Rack then why buy something cheap?

Lazer_Z
03-29-2010, 10:55 AM
You get what you pay for as they say. That $80 rack is cheap and I don't mean the price. If you could make one like an Extreme Rack then why buy something cheap?Have to agree on this point. Here's a link to the Extreme Rack's web site http://www.trailerracks.com/

ALC-GregH
03-29-2010, 11:01 AM
Have to agree on this point. Here's a link to the Extreme Rack's web site http://www.trailerracks.com/

Rob, when I got started, I read countless posts about trimmer racks. Price wasn't an issue, quality was the first thing on the list for me.

Lazer_Z
03-29-2010, 11:09 AM
Rob, when I got started, I read countless posts about trimmer racks. Price wasn't an issue, quality was the first thing on the list for me.I agree Greg, I bought a set of old school Green touch racks from a member here. The more I look at the Extreme Racks and now that they have a pole saw holder I'm thinking of upgrading.

All I hear is positive things about the new racks so that means the quality is still there. The price isn't bad at all, 2 place and the pole saw holder for under $300.00 with shipping.

ALC-GregH
03-29-2010, 11:17 AM
I agree Greg, I bought a set of old school Green touch racks from a member here. The more I look at the Extreme Racks and now that they have a pole saw holder I'm thinking of upgrading.

All I hear is positive things about the new racks so that means the quality is still there. The price isn't bad at all, 2 place and the pole saw holder for under $300.00 with shipping.

I'd like to see Grassisgreener "make" a trimmer rack for the $300. The time alone invested to "try" and make one will well surpass the $300 he'd spend buying a nice rack.

williams lcm
03-29-2010, 02:33 PM
http://115078834307

Lazer_Z
03-29-2010, 03:36 PM
my trimmer rack was only $80 at local tractor supply co. i added rubber padding in the holders to keep the trimmer from bouncing around too much, i just couldnt bring myself to spend $300 on a rack i could of made myself. i could get u the name of it if u were interested, let me know. oh ya, if u dont want to spend alot stay away from the "weld-on" ones, just get the bolt-on style they hold perfectly fineYou're talking about these http://www.tractorsupply.com/trailers-towing/trailer-accessories/trailer-boxes-racks/carry-on-trailer-reg-trailer-utility-rack-1025053

They suck, period, I used these when I first started out. They aren't worth it, I'd much rather spend the money on a professionally built product that is going to hold my equipment in place and keep it secure when it's not in my sight.

ALC-GregH
03-29-2010, 03:43 PM
You're talking about these http://www.tractorsupply.com/trailers-towing/trailer-accessories/trailer-boxes-racks/carry-on-trailer-reg-trailer-utility-rack-1025053

They suck, period, I used these when I first started out. They aren't worth it, I'd much rather spend the money on a professionally built product that is going to hold my equipment in place and keep it secure when it's not in my sight.

but they only cost $80! They have to be good if they only cost $80 right? :hammerhead:
I walked into a restaurant and saw a sign that said, "good food ain't cheap, cheap food ain't good". That goes for a lot more then just food.

wiseguyslawn
03-29-2010, 10:20 PM
Thanks fellas. I like the racks at the link that was provided. Are the tsc ones that bad?

slewis70
03-29-2010, 11:53 PM
Thanks fellas. I like the racks at the link that was provided. Are the tsc ones that bad?

Can't speak for the TSC rack, but I have a 2 place extreme and I can tell you it is well worth the money. Couldn't stand the thought of $700 worth of trimmers bouncing around on any other rack.

zak406
03-30-2010, 12:12 AM
I am going to also go with the guys who say buy the good stuff... I have far more expierience in hockey than i do in landscaping... You can buy 1300 dollar goalie leg pads and them last 4 years playing 5-7 days a week, or you can buy the 400 dollar pair and have them fall apart in the first year.... Not to mention when you buy something that will last, it does just that it lasts so that means you may put out 220 more dollars but you will replace that item in ten years instead of 2 .....

Lazer_Z
03-30-2010, 09:56 AM
Thanks fellas. I like the racks at the link that was provided. Are the tsc ones that bad?It's not the fact that they are from TSC, that place is pretty cool. Those are also sold at Lowes and they do not hold the trimmers securely whatsoever. The distance between the trimmer shaft and the back of the slot for the trimmer is too great, I had a friend modify the ones I had by drilling holes further back and I also used pipe insulation as a cushion so the shaft's didn't get screwed up. The insulation eventually wore through due to the pin rubbing against it, I even had to use a bungee cord to keep my trimmers from spinning, talk about a PITA unloading a trimmer at every stop.

If you're looking for racks, spend wisely and do it right the first time.