PDA

View Full Version : Two months to green up 11 acres, suggestions please.

johnjohn
03-29-2010, 12:11 AM
I have eleven acres that HAS to be perfect by June of this year. The soil is very sandy and stays dry.
I have plenty of water so that shouldn't be a problem.
I overseeded the existing bahaya mix with Bermuda grass seed. 22 bags on eleven acres. We has a couple of rainy days so we got lucky there, the watering system wont be ready for a few days(That's another future thread).
I fertilized with 10-10-10 on Friday, planted the seed the previous Tuesday.
Does anyone have any suggestions to make the process quicker? I have to have this area looking perfect by June, even if I have to paint it,LOL. Actually, is this possible, is there a spray on dye that wont hurt the grass. Yes I am desperate. I need this area as green and filled out as possable.
I was considering spreading black cow and or compost. I have some nice black composted soil. Would this be a good idea of is there something better?
Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

SuperiorService.110mb.com
03-29-2010, 12:24 AM
Are you getting paid to make this area green or is the green coming out of your pocket so you look good? I never use 10-10-10 or anything like that, thats great for gardens but not turf. You should have put down a starter fertilizer since you just seeded. I only use Lesco products as they have always proven themself to me. It costs more at start but pays back in the end. For greening up you want fetilizer that has a high Nitrogen rating, the first of the three number on the bag. Since you just fertilized, I would wait 6 weeks and fertilizer it again with high Nitrogen, don't worry about the other two numbers for green up. If your getting paid enough to green it up add that compost you have, just a 1/2" will do a great job and still fertilize in 6 weeks

JKOOPERS
03-29-2010, 12:28 AM
Yes there is a paint/dye out there we had to use some one year for a grand opening of a mall. http://www.solarogen.com/product.php?productid=7&cat=0&page=

ALC-GregH
03-29-2010, 08:52 AM
By June it should be germinated already and growing. Chances are that it will be greened up good by then even if you don't do anything else.

TimsLawnCareVA
03-29-2010, 11:20 AM
I agree with SuperiorService. I never use 10-10-10 on turf. I would put down some fertilizer high in nitrogen around the first week of May. You may want to do a soil test and add lime if needed. If you have grass coming up good and fertilize again you should be fine by June.

topsites
03-29-2010, 11:40 AM
You'll need 200 pounds of seed per acre, so 44 x 50 pound bags.
Oh, and that's assuming you core aerated, if you didn't you might want to try 400 pounds per acre
but I would highly recommend aerating because without that the new grass roots won't have no depth,
soon as the heat of summer hits or we get a heavy thunderstorm...

Being that it's 11 acres I would probably allow the use of a tow behind aerator.
CORE aerator, that is.

Mow that stuff high, like 5-6 inches.

JB1
03-29-2010, 01:03 PM
Try some 46-0-0.

clean_cut
03-29-2010, 07:39 PM
Try a soil test too to see what the soil really needs, mow the grass high, and don't let the cows graze on on it. Don't forget to aerate (I would prefer a tow behind over a walk behind for 11 acres) :laugh:

Also welcome to the forums, God Bless!

grassman177
03-29-2010, 07:49 PM
if you want serious results from the grass, use launch from pbi gordon, i have used it and got a stand of nothing to mature turf in 2 months. it is a bio stimulant, and also use more higher N fert than you have and maybe more grass seed too (i dont know about bahia nad burmuda)

Southern Elegance
03-29-2010, 08:56 PM
superthrieve and lots of iron