PDA

View Full Version : Dreaded Bamboo

gamoose
06-23-2002, 10:40 PM
Gentleman, I have a problem with bamboo or cane from a neighbors property into one of my beds. My client is very particular about thes beds as she has invested alot of her money and my time to thier upkeep. The cane is coming under a wood privacy fence that is very new. iF you all have any sugesstions it would be most apprieciated.

Mowingman
06-23-2002, 11:49 PM
Use a small backhoe and dig up ALL the roots you find on your customer's side of the fence. Then dig a narrow trench (maybe 6" wide or so) and 3' deep all along the fence line. Now get some pieces of corrugated fiberglass panels like you use for patio roofs. Lay these on their side so they are vertical in the trench and overlap then a little end to end, then fill the trench on both sides of the panels so they stand up vertical. I usually leave about 3" of the panel stick out of the ground like edging. This will stop the roots from coming across the properety line under the ground. Since it is fiberglass, it will not rot like corrugated metal would. If a sprout or two come up from roots you missed, dig up the sprout and attached root, or cut the sprout just above the ground and apply full strength Roundup Concentrate to the fresh cut. Good Luck:)

gamoose
06-25-2002, 11:29 PM
Many thanks Mowingman I figured this would require that type of solution. I appreciate your help.