PDA

View Full Version : Mulch installation, can you look over my numbers

DKJLawnCare
03-29-2010, 12:41 PM
I know some of you have a hard time looking at post like this. But I just want to make sure I am close to being right on my numbers.

The bed prep will consist of pulling weeds around all mulch beds. Edge is already defined. There is A LOT which im going to estimate at 3 hrs max. - $75

Next the H.O wants 5 large bushes cut off at the base. Doesn't want them dug up just cut off and covered up. - $50

One tree to be trimmed, not very big. - $20

There is 1125 SF of mulch which is about 10.5 cubic yards. I will provide 11 yards. For the 11 yards installed, including me buying mulch will be - $550

The delivery fee for mulch will be $45

Tax will be $71.04

For a grand total of $811.04

After all of my cost for fuel, mulch. I should be getting around $41 per man hour.

Do my number sound good, I am new to the mulch installs and all. I usually just do mowing.

nepatsfan
03-29-2010, 12:51 PM
Are you planning on putting down 3" of mulch? Seems like lot of mulch for the area unless they have never had mulch before. How much are you paying for mulch? It seems very cheap. I don't think you will make any money on this job. I would be 50% more than you on the job.

jdutcher003
03-29-2010, 12:56 PM
sounds to me like you need more mulch than that. if you spread a yard of mulch one inch thick it will cover 125sf. you will only be spreading it one inch thick?

DKJLawnCare
03-29-2010, 12:57 PM
Yeah they are wanting 3" of mulch put down. He is wanting just the plain jane $16 per sf mulch. It is friend/family member. So im trying not to break the bank on them either. I figured the amount I would pull all said and done would be around $415 over the 10 hours which would put me pulling $41 or so an hour.

Suggestions are greatly appreciated though. Cause I certainly don't want to work for peanuts either.

DKJLawnCare
03-29-2010, 12:58 PM
sounds to me like you need more mulch than that. if you spread a yard of mulch one inch thick it will cover 125sf. you will only be spreading it one inch thick?

1 yard should cover 125 sf at 2" thick.

nepatsfan
03-29-2010, 01:12 PM
1 yard should cover 125 sf at 2" thick.

Almost 3 inches.

nepatsfan
03-29-2010, 01:17 PM

Not sure where you get your calculations from but that is wrong. LxW/300 is the formula I use for mulch. I believe the number is actually 314 but I use 300 to make a round number. 1 yard will cover 314 square feet at 1 inch. Under tools in the upper left corner there is a mulch calculator and all you have to do is punch in the square footage if that helps. The formula I use works out to be almost exactly the same except I will have a little more because I divide by 300 rather than 314.

nepatsfan
03-29-2010, 04:45 PM
Yeah they are wanting 3" of mulch put down. He is wanting just the plain jane $16 per sf mulch. It is friend/family member. So im trying not to break the bank on them either. I figured the amount I would pull all said and done would be around $415 over the 10 hours which would put me pulling $41 or so an hour.

Suggestions are greatly appreciated though. Cause I certainly don't want to work for peanuts either.

Do you think you can finish all of that in a 10 hour day by yourself. I don't

DKJLawnCare
03-30-2010, 01:36 AM
Do you think you can finish all of that in a 10 hour day by yourself. I don't

Yeah I could do it by myself in 14 hours. My wife will be giving me 4 to 6 hours of help seeing as it is her family. So I think 10 hours is doable. If she doesn't help I will still be done in 14 making my per hour around 32. I think that will work since it is family.

How many man hours do u guess in this job. Like I say I am still new to all of the landscape side. Thanks again everyone
Posted via Mobile Device

bigw
03-30-2010, 01:56 AM
At 3" deep you need 10.4 yards and me and one helper could do it in like 4-5 hrs tops,I would be around 850 just for the mulch but that's me and for a family member i would do the entire job for around 5-600

nepatsfan
03-30-2010, 10:47 AM
At 3" deep you need 10.4 yards and me and one helper could do it in like 4-5 hrs tops,I would be around 850 just for the mulch but that's me and for a family member i would do the entire job for around 5-600

Lowballers are everywhere. I want to get a bumper sticker that says that.

nepatsfan
03-30-2010, 11:08 AM
Yeah I could do it by myself in 14 hours. My wife will be giving me 4 to 6 hours of help seeing as it is her family. So I think 10 hours is doable. If she doesn't help I will still be done in 14 making my per hour around 32. I think that will work since it is family.

How many man hours do u guess in this job. Like I say I am still new to all of the landscape side. Thanks again everyone
Posted via Mobile Device

It really depends on how much prep and cleanup you have. It also depends on how many plants and shrubs are in the beds. If it is wide open I would agree 2 guys could spread it in @5 hours. I would plan on 6 or 7 hours. I have never seen a perfect edge to start the year so we would definitely re-edge everything, plus cleaning up the beds/weeding/taking the shrubs out. Given the fact you are spreading three inches thick, it will go quicker than spreading it 1 inch thick over 3000 square feet. I would plan on being 2 days. (2-8's or a 10 and a 6) I am not saying you couldn't get it done a little quicker but if you don't give yourself any wiggle room your hourly wage keeps going down. I try to get 45-50 dollars a man hour. I usually charge @$100 per yard installed for mulch not including cleanup or any of the other stuff you are doing. I also pay more than $16 per yard for mulch. I pay about 10-20dollars more depending on the type of mulch I get. Labor on installing mulch is about $75 a yard plus the cost of mulch. Thats where I come up with @$100 per yard. That gives me a small mark up on the mulch and my $50 per hour labor per guy. I have some overhead too. I have a big shop, a few guys, insurance, comp, payroll service, several trucks, trailers and other things. You could charge less and make more than me....but I wouldn't go as low as you are talking, even for family. I hate working for friends and family because they expect a deal.

One more thing....I always find it takes 1 guy more than double the time than two guys spreading mulch. One guy wheelbarrowing and one guy spreading is less than half the time of 1 guy doing it if that makes sense.