Tharrell
03-29-2010, 11:54 AM
Go to Harbor Freight and get yourself one of these bad boys, $15. Tony

ALC-GregH
03-29-2010, 11:55 AM
I bought one of those 20 years ago!

Mike Blevins
03-29-2010, 12:17 PM
Spark plugs are one of the cheapest thinkgs you can replace. I think buying new ones would be a good investment.

Tharrell
03-29-2010, 12:31 PM
scuze me! I didn't know they'd been around so long. I just found it.
I have a ton of stuff including 3 motorcycles, I have a lot of plugs.
If you're only replacing 2 or 3 once in a while it would still make sense to keep them clean and in top shape.
Let's see,
5 walkbehinds
1 zero turn
2 wheeled blowers
2 lot vacuums
2 chain saws
2 push mowers
3 hedge clippers
1 pole saw
2 backpack blowers
1 handheld blower
5 trimmers
1 truck loader
1 tiller
2 trucks
3 motorcycles
Now, how much do you think it would cost me to replace all of those plugs?

ALC-GregH
03-29-2010, 01:21 PM

You're excused. :D I worked on autos for 30 years. :usflag:

P.Services
03-29-2010, 01:28 PM
And all it takes is one grain of sand you missed to ruin your whole savings plan. I will stick to new.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kartanimal29
03-29-2010, 01:29 PM
What do the plugs look like when there cleaned up?

whosedog
03-29-2010, 01:31 PM
Thanks, didn't know they had them,will check HF tomorrow,how do they work?Spinning wire brushes inside? I always clean them with a hand held wirebrush but if there's a quicker way to do it,I'll buy it.I'm always cleaning plugs especially on 2 stroke equipment,they seem to foul quicker then 4 stroke.

Tharrell
03-29-2010, 01:55 PM
Compressed air, it's a mini sandblaster. The switch on the side is for air only or grit. You stick the plug on the left side, there's a rubber boot that snugs the fit.
I used it with my portable air tank.

ALC-GregH
03-29-2010, 02:01 PM
What do the plugs look like when there cleaned up?

You're not blind are you? He posted a pic of the plugs with the blaster.

Kartanimal29
03-29-2010, 02:26 PM
You're not blind are you? He posted a pic of the plugs with the blaster.

Those plugs don't look very clean. My wire brush does a better job then that.

mnglocker
03-29-2010, 02:27 PM

About $1 per plug. Spark plugs need sharp edges to function properly. Blasting them rounds the edges and reduces performance.

Hawg City Lawns
03-29-2010, 02:29 PM
And all it takes is one grain of sand you missed to ruin your whole savings plan. I will stick to new.
Posted via Mobile Device

same here plugs arent that expensive yet

ALC-GregH
03-29-2010, 02:50 PM
Those plugs don't look very clean. My wire brush does a better job then that.

A wire brush is not going to get any carbon off the porcelain near the base. Sure it will get it shiny clean on the electrode and ground but at the same time it's not going to get in near the base like a blaster will. In most cases, the beads used to clean the plugs will clean up with a bit of compressed air.

mnglocker
03-29-2010, 03:11 PM
What's your time worth?

Tharrell
03-29-2010, 03:54 PM
It's been a while since I've encountered this many contrary buttheads but some of you guys just take it to a new level.
I found a useful tool to clean a sparkplug ok?
If you don't like it, p__s off and start your own threads.
I'm sure there are some guys out there that don't know it all yet and will appreciate a tool like this.
Now, go wipe the sand out of your v____nas and get a life.

Richard Martin
03-29-2010, 05:54 PM
Eww... Eww... Eww... I wanna be a butthead but not today.

I remember seeing those sandblaster cleaners back when I was a teenager. I'm 51 now. I thought they had gone the way of points and condensors.

CincyWolf
03-29-2010, 08:04 PM
I bought one of these in 1971 to clean spark plugs on a some 2 stroke high performance motocross bikes running a Union 76 Super and Castrol bean oil mix back in the days of weekend motocross in North Carolina. I still have the cleaner today but haven't used it in a while. The tool works good but you do need to be sure to that all of the grit has been removed so be sure to blow off the plug before reinstalling. If this is done right and the plug is in otherwise good condition there isn't anything wrong with using the tool. I will say that it is more useful on 2 stroke engines than 4 stroke. Unless something is wrong with the 4 stroke a plug will last a long time and will not need cleaning with the bead blaster. Once they wear it is time to replace. If I need to clean 4 stroke plugs before it is time to replace it is because I'm milking some other engine problem.

whosedog
03-29-2010, 08:56 PM
Tharrell don't let these people get to you,I'm interested in anything that can save me time and money.I'm just curious ,how well does it work? How many PSI does it need,can I use my small compressor or do I need to use my bigger one? Some stuff I get from HF is crap(like the phillips bits for $2 or the high speed pnuematic cutting wheel,I can cut faster with a hack saw than that piece of junk) and other stuff is suprisingly good for the money(socket sets ,jack stands,car jack etc) I know there's a few web sites that evaluate HF stuff but I couldn't find the spark plug cleaner on them.

SouthSide Cutter
03-29-2010, 09:54 PM
I have a ton of stuff including 3 motorcycles, I have a lot of plugs.
If you're only replacing 2 or 3 once in a while it would still make sense to keep them clean and in top shape.
Let's see,
5 walkbehinds
1 zero turn
2 wheeled blowers
2 lot vacuums
2 chain saws
2 push mowers
3 hedge clippers
1 pole saw
2 backpack blowers
1 handheld blower
5 trimmers
1 truck loader
1 tiller
2 trucks
3 motorcycles

Now figure how long it takes you to clean all those plugs and the difference of just replacing them. My time is worth more than that. Like someone said we used one of them back in the 60's and 70's at the gas stations. If you run good gas and good syn oil you dont have to worry about cleaning them anyway.

44DCNF
03-30-2010, 01:05 AM
Tune you motor so you don't need to clean your plugs. I'm in agreement with the synthetics comment also. When your plugs heat up and expand they will release all the wedged in sand that you couldn't get out with the compressed air (actually the compressed air just packs it in tighter). Don't be so short sighted and short tempered with those of us who are just trying to save you some grief.

cgaengineer
03-30-2010, 06:28 AM
About $1 per plug. Spark plugs need sharp edges to function properly. Blasting them rounds the edges and reduces performance.

I agree. The whole reason for replacing them is that the gap has worn or the edges are rounded off. If they are good enough to clean they are good enough to be left in machine without cleaning them. Electricity doesn't really care if they are clean or not.

I guess my thing is, if they are dirty enough to be cleaned they should probably be replaced and the engine that they are in should be repaired.

But hey, I'm not going to knock anyone for keeping things maintained or properly serviced.

cgaengineer
03-30-2010, 06:31 AM
Now, go wipe the sand out of your v____nas and get a life.

I love it! That was way too funny!!:laugh:

clydebusa
03-30-2010, 06:51 AM
I have one, from the two stroke bike days. Works well, still use it on a Ford that uses oil and dirties a couple of plugs. I spray the plugs with air and wd40 to wash out all the sand.

LawnGuy73
03-30-2010, 07:45 AM
Now figure how long it takes you to clean all those plugs and the difference of just replacing them. My time is worth more than that. Like someone said we used one of them back in the 60's and 70's at the gas stations. If you run good gas and good syn oil you dont have to worry about cleaning them anyway.

Amen Brother.....

Tharrell
03-30-2010, 07:48 AM
Sometimes I think I'm conversing with teenage girls on this site.
Of course a worn plug can't be saved, of course it has to be thoroughly cleaned out, of course I don't take ALL my plugs out at the same time. What a bunch of friggin idiots.
For a dirty, greasy plug that more often than not comes out of a 2 stroke engine it works great. It's getting to the point where some people who get into lawncare or even bikes nowadays don't know the first thing about 2 strokes. But they seem to know everything else for sure.
Anyway, for anyone who wants to know, I cleaned those 4 greasy, grimy TWO stroke plugs with my portable air tank.
Use short bursts and turn the plug while doing it, then use air only to make sure the grit gets dislodged.
HF has a lot of good stuff, I bought some flex ratchet wrenches that are really great and they have a lift for $499 with wings for about $179 that can lift most {1200 lbs} Zero turns, it's not quite as sturdy as a Handy model but it does fine.
If you buy a membership they'll cut you a deal on big ticket items.

ALC-GregH
03-30-2010, 07:54 AM
Damn dude. Now you want to call everyone names. I thought you were older then that.

Tharrell
03-30-2010, 07:55 AM
Here's the lift and the extensions 44" wide.

ALC-GregH
03-30-2010, 08:01 AM
What does that lift do for you that a jack and stands can't do? If you raise the entire mower up with the lift, the deck is still going to be too low to service the deck and blades. That's a motorcycle lift. I'd buy one in a heart beat if I owned a motorcycle repair shop, maybe 2 or 3.

Roger
03-30-2010, 09:47 AM
I agree with other comments about trying to salvage an old plug, ... just because it is clean does not mean it should remain in use. There is more to a spark plug than neatly cleaned surfaces at the tip.

Spark plugs are a very inexpensive maintenance item to keep an engine running well.

whosedog
03-30-2010, 10:00 AM
My son rides older dirtbikes,he cleans them every time he rides,sometimes has to clean them in the field because they get fouled.A lot of times my 2stroke stuff gets fouled because to much oil gets put in the mix.I don't know what kind of cheap plugs you guys are using but I'm not throwing away a $5 plug just because it's dirty,so just keep throwing yours away,I'll keep cleaning mine until they're too worn to use anymore.

Tharrell
03-30-2010, 12:47 PM
That was my point exactly.
Spark plugs in 2 stroke stuff can get greasy and a quick use of this tool is handy and inexpensive.
But, there's always someone who is contrary and has to let you know how contrary they can be. They get worse as the conversation progresses too.
Up is really down depending on your point of view I guess.
The thing is, I'm not really interested in listening to someone be contrary
As far as the lift goes, That is a motorcycle lift but the wing attachment let's you use it for wider stuff like 4 wheelers, Zero turns and tractor riders etc...
Getting something up a little makes it easier to work on and for me it's a lift that I can use for my bikes or any of my mowers.
Plus it's a tax deduction for all of us guys that are legal and pay taxes.
There are numerous models available, there is a model for $399 that can be had for about $100 less if you deal. It has a manual foot pump so If you use it for bikes, you could actually take it to the track.
A lift is a convenient tool if you work on your own equipment and a bonus if it sees double duty and you can write it off! And I do.

For all you contrarians, I'll admit I am a HOON and proud of it. Fortunate for you I don't want to be banned so I'll keep it nice.

Sammy
03-31-2010, 12:44 AM
Yup, they have been around for a long time.

Here is one from September 1939.

topsites
03-31-2010, 04:20 AM
Some of y'all evidently haven't woke up to the new price of parts yet,
every month things go up in price, sometimes every week!

This ain't no $1 spark plug anymore!
Autolite Copper Core Spark Plug
Part No. 3923
Warranty: 2 YEAR REPLACEMENT IF DEFECTIVE
RESISTOR; OE Style; @ Gap .032 @ $1.79

That IS the cheapo!

Don't even go down the antifreeze aisle until you've grown accustomed to this new inflation,
if the untrained eye sees the price of a gallon of that it will make your head spin and you might pass out lol

Well over $100 especially if you included a truck...

My truck?
Costs like $30 or $40 to replace the plugs.
I use 2x platinums but even cheap plugs are $2 each.

And as I did it, I realized the old ones must've got replaced last year...
They looked so dang good I didn't throw them away.
Now I just threw them in a container of Kerosene, that's my cleaner of choice.

But I might just run down to HF and get me one of them things,
might not be worth it for the odd equipment plug but still.