PDA

View Full Version : Do you remove old much.

Decoste76
03-29-2010, 01:46 PM
Do you completely remove all of the old much before putting down fresh mulch for the season?

punt66
03-29-2010, 01:47 PM
Do you completely remove all of the old much before putting down fresh mulch for the season?

not unless the area is overflowing over a curb or something.

Decoste76
03-29-2010, 01:49 PM
so i take it it just depends on where the mulch is and how it will look if you over lay it

nepatsfan
03-29-2010, 01:56 PM
so i take it it just depends on where the mulch is and how it will look if you over lay it

I very rarely take it away. It decomposes and breaks down. I only add 1 -1 1/2 inches every year. we just add more every year.

punt66
03-29-2010, 06:28 PM

yes............

DixieFerris
03-29-2010, 09:22 PM
We take mulch off alot, but only from new accounts typically..huge selling point for me actually, because I show new clients how badly their old company has been choking their trees and plants, and how we do it at the proper depths and levels to save their plants and their wallet. Works every time!

punt66
03-30-2010, 07:44 AM
We take mulch off alot, but only from new accounts typically..huge selling point for me actually, because I show new clients how badly their old company has been choking their trees and plants, and how we do it at the proper depths and levels to save their plants and their wallet. Works every time!

so you sell them a line of BS and rip them off? :confused:

DixieFerris
03-30-2010, 10:37 AM
Nope, not BS at all. Most companies don't train their staff about proper mulching (go look at all the unhealthy mulch volcanoes soon) and how improper mulching is even worse than none at all. This error is a great opening for me to go in and tell the potential customer a major error on their property and how we noticed it from a distance and can fix it. They appreciate our help, we often save them lots of money on replacing trees that would die or get diseased because of this poor practice, and we make more money. WIN-WIN-WIN. And if you read at all, you should do some research about mulch, because even installed properly, you still need to take some out from time to time

jvanvliet
03-30-2010, 01:26 PM
It depends on how much mulch is down & wether or not it has a lot of broad leaf; clover, fungus, etc. growing in it from overwatering. If the beds are reasonably clean, we apply glyco & a pre-emergent & leave the old then add just enough to get to about 2" if overgrown with weeds, we put down a pre-emergent mixed with Glyco (Pendulum Aquacap is cheap and good) before we add the mulch.

If the mulch shows evidence of fungus, we take it out and put down a fungicide & pre-emergent (copper sulfate is cheap as a fungicide)

It may cost a little more, but I'd rather pass on the job if I can't do it right. Specially down here, put down some new mulch on weeded out old mulch or one contaminated with fungus, the weeds & fungus will still be a problem kill off his ornamentals and the customer be P.Oed at you.

I also like to be careful about what I mulch around and how close to the woody part of the ornamental I get; Hibiscus for example is fussy.

Truth is, most of the time I quote the job along with the specs, somebody else does it and I'm not responsible for the results... they have been warned.

Florida Gardener
03-30-2010, 02:37 PM
jvan

When you say fungus in the mulch, are you referring to the white stuff that shows up on older mulch?? I thought that that fungi was beneficial?? What other fungi would be in the mulch and what does it look like??

jvanvliet
03-31-2010, 09:00 AM
jvan

When you say fungus in the mulch, are you referring to the white stuff that shows up on older mulch?? I thought that that fungi was beneficial?? What other fungi would be in the mulch and what does it look like??

I wasn't aware of any benificial fungi developing on mulch... the white stuff included; Maybe I'm about to learn something new here :) I'm also refering to greyish brown mushrooms that tend to grow in small clusters but sometimes individually. They have a thin, often times long stem and a tall rounded top, almost like the cilecybem that grow on dung heaps.

Any environmemt that is dark, hot and moist will develop fungi or moulds and other undesirable organisms. Since the mulch traps moisture and generates heat as a function of decomposition, it creates a good enviroment for the stuff. Look at the corners around tubs & tile grout in older houses (by the way, according to Bob Whitier a Pof. of horticulture and entomology at the University of Oregon, decomposition of the mulch will rob beneficial nutrients from the soil like nitrogen)

Fungi spores and weed seeds tend to get trapped in the mulch and my experience is that they will grow or germinate, 2-3" mulch notwithstanding. So if I see evidence of any... out it goes or at the very least, treat it with copper sulfate & a pre-emergent laced Glyco.

All that being said, most of the red mulch down here is loaded with crap. Can't speak for the blond or cypress since most of my clients won't pay the extra for it.

punt66
04-02-2010, 07:51 AM
I wasn't aware of any benificial fungi developing on mulch... the white stuff included; Maybe I'm about to learn something new here :) I'm also refering to greyish brown mushrooms that tend to grow in small clusters but sometimes individually. They have a thin, often times long stem and a tall rounded top, almost like the cilecybem that grow on dung heaps.

Any environmemt that is dark, hot and moist will develop fungi or moulds and other undesirable organisms. Since the mulch traps moisture and generates heat as a function of decomposition, it creates a good enviroment for the stuff. Look at the corners around tubs & tile grout in older houses (by the way, according to Bob Whitier a Pof. of horticulture and entomology at the University of Oregon, decomposition of the mulch will rob beneficial nutrients from the soil like nitrogen)

Fungi spores and weed seeds tend to get trapped in the mulch and my experience is that they will grow or germinate, 2-3" mulch notwithstanding. So if I see evidence of any... out it goes or at the very least, treat it with copper sulfate & a pre-emergent laced Glyco.

All that being said, most of the red mulch down here is loaded with crap. Can't speak for the blond or cypress since most of my clients won't pay the extra for it.

your warm climate procedures are not the same for the rest of the country.

PHS
04-02-2010, 08:33 AM
according to Bob Whitier a Pof. of horticulture and entomology at the University of Oregon, decomposition of the mulch will rob beneficial nutrients from the soil like nitrogen

That's typically only an issue when lots of fresh wood mulch is applied to soil that's been left bare for a long time. It's easily fixed by a fertilizer application to kickstart the decomposition process. Once that decomp process is started you don't have to worry about it again because there's plenty of nitrogen available to prevent the tie-up.

I wasn't aware of any benificial fungi developing on mulch

They're beneficial in the sense that they're decomposing the mulch for you thereby releasing nutrients into the soil for the plants to absorb. The fungi that decompose the mulch aren't plant pathogens. Plant roots love that warm moist (assuming it's not moist from overwatering) environment under the mulch. That's what they've evolved to grow in.