PDA

View Full Version : Up in the Air

bxtwo
03-29-2010, 04:46 PM
Hey guys 1st post here. Little about myself and my lawn. I am a new homeowner, just got engaged and building our first home. We will be living on 1.5 acres pretty flat yard no obsticles to mow around (yet). I have a question about two mowers that I can't decide to choose between.
The first mower is the Husqvarna YTH 2146, this mower has a 21 horse kohler motor with a 46 inch deck. Its turn radius is a little worse though with 16 inch turn radius. Everything else on this mower is pretty much the same as this next mower, the Cub Cadet.
This Cub Cadet is the LTX 1040 it has 19 horse kohler (2 less horsepower), and a 42 inch deck (smaller mower range). However it has a 12 inch turn radius and is $100 cheaper than the Husqvarna.
Here is what I am thinking. I think the Hus. is a better deal with the larger motor and deck size and only a hundred bucks more. But I am affraid it doesnt have the quality that the Cub Cadet has and might not be as reliable? Another thing Husqvarna has going for them is there is a dealer in my town, I will have to drive 1hour to get the Cub if I bought it, so that means a longer drive for maintenance etc. Well sorry for the long post but could someone please shed some light on the subject. Which is the better buy? thanks ahead of time.

bxtwo
03-30-2010, 12:39 AM
anyone have an opinion?

Sport42
03-30-2010, 10:29 AM
I don't think there is a difference in quality and reliability between them. I would lean towards the Husq for ease of service.

Why not a ZTR?

unkownfl
03-30-2010, 12:23 PM
All those tractors are the same thing cub deere husqvarna buy the husqvarna for the sake you have a dealer near you because god knows you will need it because they're all junk.

Maxify55
03-30-2010, 01:25 PM
He's telling you the truth but for your own personal home use they'll each do just fine.

Those things are all built by companies like Modern Tool and Die or some such corporate entity that builds things for home owners. Thjey're retailed through big box stores like Home Depot, Loew's and various hardware chains (Tractor Supply, Agri Supply and True Value).

If you want to buy one machine to last you th rest of your life (If you're ready to do some trivial
maintenance). Then step up to about the same money that you'd spend for a new one of the above mentioned machines to a commercial unit. For about $3000 you can buy a unit of such size that would suit your needs. One that has been fleet maintained by professionals with 2000-5000 hours on the meter can be had for that amount of money.

Do the maintenance or either way you spend your money, you're wasting it.

Throw some my way. Like one of the guys one here says:

It's more than immoral to let the foolish keep their money, it's our civic duty to relieve them of it

bxtwo
03-30-2010, 01:51 PM
wow, not quite the responses I was looking for. So I am foolish if I don't buy a commercial unit for my 1.5 acres? I was under the impression that if I treated these machines well and maintained them that they would last me 10 years or so. To be honest I would be happy if my mower lasted me 10 years for $1400. Thank you for your time, and also the last thing I would do would to hire someone to keep my lawn taken care of if they called me foolish. :(

Sport42
03-30-2010, 02:04 PM
You're among commercial equipment users, bxtwo. They think all residential machines are junk. But if used by them, they would be.

But any of those tractors would work fine for you. I sold a 1040 Cub Cadet (18 HP Kohler) a few years ago to my neighbor's dad. It now has over 500 hours of mowing 2 acres and not a single problem. My neighbor also has the same Cadet and my brother has a Husqy he is very happy with.

Either will last you 10+ years easy with minimal issues, as long as you maintain them.

lotsagrass
03-30-2010, 03:21 PM
I had a mid-range Craftsman 46" rider with a v-twin Briggs Intek that lasted a good 6 or 7 years with no trouble at all. All I did was sharpen the blades and change the oil, air filter. Oh actually, I did replace the electric clutch for the blade engagement once and once replaced the starter solenoid. No big deal. Easy at home repair stuff. I sold it years ago (for a great price I might add - like $400 or so?) to buy a new mower (Cub Cadet SLT1550) because I was just tired of having it, wanted something new. Unless you're beating to death a residential grade mower, they'll last a long time. Just take care of it and know that occasionally you might have to replace something. Do the maintenance. I'm surprised at how poorly some people take care of their mowers...leave them out in the weather all winter, etc...then act surprised when it breaks.

Having said that, if you want something to last a REALLY long time, get a commercial grade mower if you can afford one. The difference in build quality is huge (with some exceptions).

Sport42
03-30-2010, 04:09 PM
Not everyone wants a mower to last a lifetime. I imagine I'll want something different in 10 years or so. I think technology and development go along way in a lifetime, and I like to have updated equipment.

lotsagrass
03-30-2010, 04:14 PM
Not everyone wants a mower to last a lifetime. I imagine I'll want something different in 10 years or so. I think technology and development go along way in a lifetime, and I like to have updated equipment.

Yeah me too, but don't tell my wife that ;) She thinks I'm set for a super long time now. In reality, I'm set for however long it takes me to get really antsy to buy a new machine...LOL That should be at least 6-7 years though.

Sport42
03-30-2010, 04:19 PM
I've been a homeowner for about 12 years and have had 3 riding mowers and two push mowers...

My wife also thinks this one is it for a long time....

unkownfl
03-30-2010, 04:22 PM
I would spend 500-1500 on a used walk behind with a sulky. I could mow the yard 3 times as fast, leave a better cut, and sell it 5 years down the road for the same money. Furthermore, I would not be caught dead with a Kohler courage on the back. If you end up buying one of those tractor traps buy it from a dealer because he may fix it for you in a timely manner when it breaks if you buy it from the box store you will be on the back burner.