PDA

View Full Version : The feasibility of using a back pack sprayer commercially

mark123
03-29-2010, 03:53 PM
I know it's not ideal. I've have some of the lawn care operators in town tell me that they started off with backpack sprayers but I'm not sure how it's possible.

Last year I used my Solo back pack for spot spraying only but I want to get into more organic applications including Nature's Lawn Aerify Plus and Biodethatcher. The back pack was fine for spot spraying applications, certainly not idea but good enough. It was just a little extra work.

I calibrated the sprayer today and figured I'm putting down a most impressive 0.03 oz per 1000 square feet. :dizzy: Yes, that decimal is in the right place. Does that sound correct/possible?

I am going to have to swap nozzles and try again.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
03-29-2010, 04:02 PM
Is that water/K? Couldn't be that, I put down 1 gal/K with my shurflo elec.
AI is the typical 1.1/1.5oz/K.
Man, you must be putting down some microfine droplets or something.

I did the backpack thing last season for about a doz customers. It works, but it is SO inefficient, taxing on the neck/back, and mentally draining. Can't really do lawns over 8k sq ft with them, it just takes SO long. I bought a used PG this season to hit my bigger lawns. Will continue to do backpack for my postage stamps. I think refilling the pack is the biggest pain of all. Heaving that pack with 4 gals of liquids onto your back in 85 degree heat is not fun.

mark123
03-29-2010, 04:07 PM
Is that water/K? Couldn't be that, I put down 1 gal/K with my shurflo elec.
AI is the typical 1.1/1.5oz/K.
Man, you must be putting down some microfine droplets or something. It is water and yes, the droplets are rather fine. Probably too fine. I'm going to see if I can find my other nozzles.

I did the backpack thing last season for about a doz customers. It works, but it is SO inefficient, taxing on the neck/back, and mentally draining. Can't really do lawns over 8k sq ft with them, it just takes SO long. I bought a used PG this season to hit my bigger lawns. Will continue to do backpack for my postage stamps. I think refilling the pack is the biggest pain of all. Heaving that pack with 4 gals of liquids onto your back in 85 degree heat is not fun.I hear you, brother. It's out of necessity until I can grow the business. I lost my old job a year ago but going back to lawn care is probably the best thing I've even done. I wish I'd have done it years earlier.

mark123
03-29-2010, 04:43 PM
Ugh, yeah, I'm a doofus. That was oz per square foot not per 1000 square feet but still the first nozzle was only giving me about .25 gallons per 1000. I did swap nozzles. Giving me 76 oz/1000 square feet. About .6 gal per 1000 square feet. That makes more sense.

Numbers is hard. :p

So my 4 gallon back pack should cover about 6700 square feet. Hrump. I've got to get a tank.

Turf Dawg
03-29-2010, 08:38 PM
I am going through that right now. Today was going to be the only day in our forcast that the wind was not going to be blowing 20 plus so I sprayed right at 95,000 sq feet. I am tired as heck right now. I used a Stihl backpack with a Teejet 80015 tip. With the speed I walk the 4.5 gallons [capacity of the backpack] will do 11,000 sq feet. There is no way I would use this every day. I did order a 2 nozzle boom to go on the end of the wand but it is not here yet.

TurfRyder
03-29-2010, 09:54 PM
There are plenty of opportunities around here for applying round-up to non-turf areas like parking lots, sidewalks, etc... I even had an idea to do them with roller blades on.

jspray
03-29-2010, 11:05 PM
We have sprayed out thousands of back packs with TF-VS3 turbofloodjet tip with 6 ft. application width.

mark123
03-29-2010, 11:18 PM
We have sprayed out thousands of back packs with TF-VS3 turbofloodjet tip with 6 ft. application width.Is the 6' total width or effective width?

I have a Teejet TKT3 on it now which gives me the .6gal/K. It sprays approximately 3.5' wide effective.

jalderfer63
03-30-2010, 08:15 AM
Where can I get that TF-VS3 turboflood jet tip?

RigglePLC
03-30-2010, 09:47 AM
You are better off applying .25 gallons per 1000 sqft--that way 4 gals covers 16,000 sqft. No reason to apply excess water--let the chemical do the work. It is easiest to wave the wand. Practice with water on pavement--thourough even coverage is doable. I don't think any kind of boom or floodjet nozzle improves the situation. A power pump is a nice addition according to others on this forum.