PDA

View Full Version : Grasshopper or Hustler?

doubleedge
03-29-2010, 06:28 PM
I need another mower for this year, so I have narrowed down the choices to a few units.

The Grasshopper is 61" with 27 hp and costs $8700 without a bagger; it has been sitting out all winter and is very dirty and has some rust.

One of the Hustlers is a regular z with a 60" deck and 25 hp; it costs 9100 with the triple bagger, is in very good condition, but was a demo and has around 50 hours.

The other Hustler is a super z with a 60" deck and 31 hp; it costs 8500 without the bagger, is in very good condition, but was also a demo and also has around 50 hours.

I mow Kentucky Blue Grass primarily; would a Hustler with a bagger do well on this type of turf? I have heard bad things about their cut quality on northern grasses. I need a bagger on any of the mowers, so the Grasshopper and super z would cost more than the regular z that comes with a bagger.

MJB
03-29-2010, 09:56 PM
I need another mower for this year, so I have narrowed down the choices to a few units.

The Grasshopper is 61" with 27 hp and costs $8700 without a bagger; it has been sitting out all winter and is very dirty and has some rust.

One of the Hustlers is a regular z with a 60" deck and 25 hp; it costs 9100 with the triple bagger, is in very good condition, but was a demo and has around 50 hours.

The other Hustler is a super z with a 60" deck and 31 hp; it costs 8500 without the bagger, is in very good condition, but was also a demo and also has around 50 hours.

I mow Kentucky Blue Grass primarily; would a Hustler with a bagger do well on this type of turf? I have heard bad things about their cut quality on northern grasses. I need a bagger on any of the mowers, so the Grasshopper and super z would cost more than the regular z that comes with a bagger.

I would not buy the Hustler without a demo. Mine will not cut clean in 1 pass, so it would be a waste to buy a bagger.

The Grasshopper will cut clean with a bagger. Are these your only options?

doubleedge
03-29-2010, 10:36 PM
They arent my only options, but they are pretty cheap compared to exmark, and the bigger deck sized kubotas are too heavy. JD is also a bit too heavy. Not sure about toro, but I believe they are also too expensive, and the dealer doesnt stock many. Only others are simplicity, which I guess are basically ferris, and new holland. And dixon.

jspray
03-29-2010, 11:51 PM
Buy the Grasshopper--it's a great mower with an excellent cut.

doubleedge
03-30-2010, 12:13 AM
I would not buy the Hustler without a demo. Mine will not cut clean in 1 pass, so it would be a waste to buy a bagger.

The Grasshopper will cut clean with a bagger. Are these your only options?

How does your emarks' cut compare with your hustler? What about maintenance and comfort? Maybe I should just go for the best and never regret getting something worse.

castlerockmo
03-30-2010, 12:29 AM
The New Dixon Grizzly is a Great cutting machine if you have a good dealer in your area. I just demoed it again today. (husqvarna PZ) But if I had choice between the two I would choice the Grasshoper just bc of better quality of cut.

But really look at the new Grizzly.

johnnyusa
03-30-2010, 12:35 AM
Grasshopper gets my vote espescially if it was a front mount. They have a great cut ill take one anyday over an exmark or a hustler.

Hawg City Lawns
03-30-2010, 02:01 AM
i find a grasshopper to be a nice mower so i pick that one

ALC-GregH
03-30-2010, 09:29 AM
Get the GH and look for a used bagger kit for it.

MJB
03-30-2010, 12:40 PM
How does your emarks' cut compare with your hustler? What about maintenance and comfort? Maybe I should just go for the best and never regret getting something worse.

The Exmark Ultracut deck is much better than my Hustler XR7 deck. Comfort is all the Hustler really has going for it in my opinion. The Grasshopper is your best choice. Demo both if your unsure, but the taller the grass the worse the Hustler cuts. I cut at 3.5 inches and up and it leaves strips, and the deck get dirty needs to be cleaned more often.

Seriuosly the G Hopper is right up there with the Exmark in cut and dependability. Might be a little more of a pain to work on is all.

trooper8870
03-30-2010, 01:01 PM
Go with the Grasshopper. I have 2 of them and absolutely love them. Went from John Deere to Grasshopper and have never looked back.

doubleedge
03-31-2010, 07:04 PM
Thanks for all the comments. My only concern with the grasshopper is all the dirt and some rust on it. It may need a few new bearings, but I think i can clean it up and get it in new condition fairly easily. I did see the toro z500 though yesterday, and it looks like a nice machine. 27 hp kohler and 60" turboforce deck for only $8600. I'm trying to decide between that and the grasshopper now that Ive ruled Hustler out for a bad deck.