PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning the mower deck

TennisBum
03-29-2010, 09:46 PM
I read a post on here some time ago where someone used some chemical to spray on their deck and the grass just fell off. I think their dealer told them about it. Does anyone remember this?

Also, has anyone tried CLEAN DECK ? Heres a link: http://cleandeck.net/

mowerbrad
03-29-2010, 09:56 PM
Never heard of that "clean deck" stuff.

I'm going to be coating the underside of my new JD with Fluid Film. It will help prevent grass build up and will also protect the underside of the deck, so it will give me all I will need.

TennisBum
03-29-2010, 10:03 PM

I'm going to be coating the underside of my new JD with Fluid Film. It will help prevent grass build up and will also protect the underside of the deck, so it will give me all I will need.

You're in for a rude awakening. Been there, done that.

DLAWNS
03-29-2010, 11:37 PM

You're in for a rude awakening. Been there, done that.

I second the fluid film....it greatly reduces the build up under the deck and whatever does eventually build up over time comes off very easily.

mowerbrad
03-30-2010, 12:33 AM
I second the fluid film....it greatly reduces the build up under the deck and whatever does eventually build up over time comes off very easily.

I was hoping you'd chime in on this discussion Bill. After all you've used fluid film longer than I have (considering this will be my first mower I put it on).:waving:

TennisBum
03-30-2010, 12:35 AM
Just bought a quart of the CLEAN DECK. I'll let you know the results.

TennisBum
03-30-2010, 12:40 AM
My experience with Fluid Film is that it doesn't help with grass build up. It is an excellent preserver of metal - protector. I'm speaking from experience. That JD deck will go along way on it's own toward keeping the deck clean because of how smooth it is.

ProSeasons
03-30-2010, 02:51 AM
Nobody uses 'Slip Plate' anymore? I was going to try a combination of Slip Plate and Fluid Film this season.

cgaengineer
03-30-2010, 07:39 AM
I have tried everything...even Fluid Film. The only thing that cleans the deck is a pressure washer or a scraper blade. If someone would make Teflon durable enough that would make cleanup a snap.

fazzy815-66
03-30-2010, 09:05 AM
I have tried everything...even Fluid Film. The only thing that cleans the deck is a pressure washer or a scraper blade. If someone would make Teflon durable enough that would make cleanup a snap.
Man! I wish someone made something easy. I hate getting under there and scraping that crap! but it's part of the job. clean deck, clean cut!!:hammerhead:

jvanvliet
03-30-2010, 09:13 AM
I drive mine up on the ramps, chock the rear wheels & use a high presure hose. In fact I blow off the mower after each cut on the guys lawn (I try & get as much dog poop off as I can) and hose the whole thing down carefully at the end of the day. Get all the the dog poop off the tires, etc. That hot poop nitrogen will burn lawns & leave tire marks in yellow. I'm also afraid the chemicals you guys mention will affect the St.Augustine grass.

I also clean the engine at the end of the week, since it is oil cooled, dirt, dust & residue will insulate the engine & make it run hotter than I want. Need i mention airfilter, oil & filter, spark plugs, etc?

A clean machine is a happy machine!

whole9er
03-30-2010, 11:12 AM
I dont use clean deck but i use a graphite based equivalent I think it works better than fluid film. I actually did half my deck graphite and half fluid film and the graphite worked better so Im sticking with it, I also use it to coat the plastic corners/bends of my bagger chute and bagger hopper, keeps grass from sticking. I agree there are uses for fluid film but I just like the graphite better, it prevents sticking and makes a smooth surface so grass cant grab and build up.

ProSeasons
03-30-2010, 10:50 PM
I dont use clean deck but i use a graphite based equivalent I think it works better than fluid film. I actually did half my deck graphite and half fluid film and the graphite worked better so Im sticking with it, I also use it to coat the plastic corners/bends of my bagger chute and bagger hopper, keeps grass from sticking. I agree there are uses for fluid film but I just like the graphite better, it prevents sticking and makes a smooth surface so grass cant grab and build up.

Yeah, Slip Plate has graphite in it, too. Sounds good.

http://www.tlcentral.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=120&idproduct=785

ProSeasons
04-03-2010, 03:35 PM
Nobody uses 'Slip Plate' anymore? I was going to try a combination of Slip Plate and Fluid Film this season.

Update. It's not called just 'Slip Plate' anymore. The name of the product is also called 'EZ Slide'.

Found it at Tractor Supply.