PDA

View Full Version : IS Gatorline the best????

cookslandscaping18
03-29-2010, 09:44 PM
I have been looking at trying the sthil X line and i was wondering if anybody has every tried it before if holds up good or is nothing compared to gatorline. I usally just run gatorline square .095 just wanting to maybe try something different.
Thanks
Brian

dwost
03-29-2010, 10:19 PM
Just bought a spool last week, lots of hype around it so we'll see.

rjh4758
03-29-2010, 10:50 PM
Just bought a spool last week, lots of hype around it so we'll see.

I bought a spool also and will see what all the hype is about.

DLAWNS
03-29-2010, 10:50 PM
I just ordered a big roll of the Oregon line. I'm not sure of the name, but it's like silver, twisted, and I believe has metal in it. It lasts long and cuts nice and clean...

dwost
03-29-2010, 10:52 PM
I just ordered a big roll of the Oregon line. I'm not sure of the name, but it's like silver, twisted, and I believe has metal in it. It lasts long and cuts nice and clean...

Gatorline :)

DLAWNS
03-29-2010, 11:03 PM
Gatorline :)

kinda thought that was the name of it, but wasn't positive, lol......I've always used Redmax line until I got a roll of the gatorline at a trade show and we all liked it so just picked up the big spool....

IndianSprings
03-29-2010, 11:26 PM
Used some Stihl X line this afternoon, we all really lilke it. Very long lasting, quiet and takes shock well, like chain link and held up well against masonary foundation. We use .105 line. I definetly like it better than the Oregon gator line,l which I have never liked, it seems to us if you kit post or anything solid that the line can partially wrap around, the kevlar goes right through the line and results in a broken line. Today the X-line gave us much more useage than we normally get with the gator line. We just bought a one pound spool to try it out, but after today we're ordering a three pounder, it's the line we'll run this year.

LALawnboy
03-30-2010, 02:23 AM
Used some Stihl X line this afternoon, we all really lilke it. Very long lasting, quiet and takes shock well, like chain link and held up well against masonary foundation. We use .105 line. I definetly like it better than the Oregon gator line,l which I have never liked, it seems to us if you kit post or anything solid that the line can partially wrap around, the kevlar goes right through the line and results in a broken line. Today the X-line gave us much more useage than we normally get with the gator line. We just bought a one pound spool to try it out, but after today we're ordering a three pounder, it's the line we'll run this year.

I couldn't agree with you more on the Gator Magnum line. I bought some last year to try out after reading all of the reviews on here and it just didn't work out that well for me. I've always used Echo Crossfire and have liked how pliable it is. I'm like you, I use .105 line for durability, but I still need to be able to get into the "nooks and crannies" on some properties. The Gator line would not allow me to do that. Plus, the biggest problem I had, was that when running along fence lines or around long stretches, the line seemed to grab at the turf instead of cutting smooth. I'm done trying out new line for now and am back to the Crossfire line and couldn't be happier.

Richard Martin
03-30-2010, 05:24 AM
My preference is for Echo Crossfire when the trimming gets "August" tough. I was given 2 pounds of Gatorline Supertwist Magnum so I'm using that right now. When it's gone I'll probably go back to the Echo Crossfire.

For everyday tender grass trimming I just use whatever round line I can find.

Frue
03-30-2010, 08:41 AM
gatorline is the best.. Echo crossfire is second. use both but gatorline is more durable and freys less.

MOHUSTLER
03-30-2010, 09:29 AM
Most of our guys have switched to the Velocity line. Its similar to the stihl line but seems to hold up a little better.

ucfbrian
03-30-2010, 01:28 PM

The line you are talking about is the Oregon Supertwist Magnum Gatorline.

Oregon OEP
03-30-2010, 01:34 PM
The line you are talking about is the Oregon Supertwist Magnum Gatorline.

The inner core is not metal, just a stronger polymer for added durability.