PDA

View Full Version : Best trucks on fuel 1/2, 3/4, or 1 ton

JMiller08
03-29-2010, 10:58 PM
What trucks have the best fuel mileage. Im looking to buy a new truck and wondering about fuel economy. It has to be 4x4 and extended cab. Gas or diesel. What ya guys think?

djagusch
03-29-2010, 11:11 PM
Well I'm sure a 1/2 ton Chev with the 5.3 gets 20mpg, don't know about a Colorado or Rangers mpg though. Diesel's with the emissions crap don't do to well either. I have a 3/4 ton Chev 6.0 gets 13mpg.

But all this doesn't matter if the truck can't pull what you need it to. Sure a 1/2 5.3 gets 20mpg but it doesn't help if your pulling a 20 ft enclosed trailer everyday or a skidsteer trailer does it?

Figure out what you are going to tow, finds the vehicles that will tow it (not overloaded), then pick what one gets the mpg or whatever you are looking for.

Petr51488
03-30-2010, 12:00 AM
Well I'm sure a 1/2 ton Chev with the 5.3 gets 20mpg, don't know about a Colorado or Rangers mpg though. Diesel's with the emissions crap don't do to well either. I have a 3/4 ton Chev 6.0 gets 13mpg.

I'm pretty sure my diesel with the emmissions crap does pretty well. I can get atleast 20mpg on the highway.

Obviously the 1/2 ton will get the best mileage. a v6 1500 will get more mpg's then a 6.0 gas 2500 that will get you roughly 11mpg's. What are you using the truck for? estimates? towing a trailer?

Gravel Rat
03-30-2010, 12:26 AM
The most fuel efficient truck is a 86 Ford F-250 4x4 with 4:10 gears 460 gas with 4bbl carburetor and C6 automatic you should easily get 24 mpg with a truck like this.

JMiller08
03-30-2010, 12:26 AM
Heres the thing. Im going to be pulling at the biggest a 16 ft open trailer. Tommarow i have an interview with a company for a full time job. If i do get the job it is 20 miles away all highway. So thats 40 miles a day. I really would like a 3/4 ton 4x4 diesel. If i could get 20 a gallon then thats 2 gallons per day so about $5. Thats Only around $100 a month plus other driving. Right now my little 95 nissan only gets about 18 to a gallon due to poor gearing so the diesel is deff an improvement.

LS1FRC
03-30-2010, 12:54 AM
The most fuel efficient truck is a 86 Ford F-250 4x4 with 4:10 gears 460 gas with 4bbl carburetor and C6 automatic you should easily get 24 mpg with a truck like this.

hahaha I like your response. LOL 4:10 gears... yeah you know your saving fuel when your rpm's are always high. :laugh:

Milwaukee
03-30-2010, 12:55 AM
You will never find truck that get higher than 20 mpg.

Only way is get F150 or F250 2wd with 6 cylinder inline 4.9L with 5 speed you be see 16-24 mpg.

salopez
03-30-2010, 08:00 AM
a highly modified duramax can get 20plus....i can get 25 highway with mine on 245 highway style tires...

but you are talking big money for the truck and then the add ons...

Moto52
03-30-2010, 11:05 AM
a highly modified duramax can get 20plus....i can get 25 highway with mine on 245 highway style tires...

but you are talking big money for the truck and then the add ons...

25mpg? yea sure going with the wind doing 60mph downhill...... I know a few people with duramaxs and they get no where near that. 18mpg is about what you can expect to get out of them. what do you mean highly modified? you think bigger injectors and bigger turbo your going to get better mileage???

unkownfl
03-30-2010, 12:06 PM
defy physics is it possible? 20 mpg in any diesel on the highway haha you guys must be going like 60 with no traffic in the Texas night. Driving like a normal person on the highway with traffic try about 14-18 in a diesel w/3.73's. A 1500 4.3 chevy will get you about 18 on the highway about 10 pulling the 16ft trailer in the city. F150 with a 4.2 about the same as the v6 chevy. The diesels will get around 14-16 in the city with the trailer.

Petr51488
03-30-2010, 12:50 PM
Heres the thing. Im going to be pulling at the biggest a 16 ft open trailer. Tommarow i have an interview with a company for a full time job. If i do get the job it is 20 miles away all highway. So thats 40 miles a day. I really would like a 3/4 ton 4x4 diesel. If i could get 20 a gallon then thats 2 gallons per day so about $5. Thats Only around $100 a month plus other driving. Right now my little 95 nissan only gets about 18 to a gallon due to poor gearing so the diesel is deff an improvement.

Don't forget that its cheaper to fill up your little nissan (diesel is roughly 30 cents higher then diesel here) insurance is much cheaper and maintenance is much cheaper. If you are using it for work also, a duramax is your best bet. Either pre-emissions or with emissions. I personally love mine with the emissions. No diesel smell, and i get more power then the previous generation... along with the allison 6 speed trannt. Ford mpgs suck and the dodge trannys arent that great compared to the allison.

You will never find truck that get higher than 20 mpg.

Only way is get F150 or F250 2wd with 6 cylinder inline 4.9L with 5 speed you be see 16-24 mpg.

Hmmm, i must be the only lucky guy out there that can easily get 22 on the highway doing 65-70. Empty that is.

25mpg? yea sure going with the wind doing 60mph downhill...... I know a few people with duramaxs and they get no where near that. 18mpg is about what you can expect to get out of them. what do you mean highly modified? you think bigger injectors and bigger turbo your going to get better mileage???

we're talking highway mileage, not average per tank. My average per tank is roughly 15-16 but thats because i do alot of city driving. 22 is easy to get on the highway all day long.

defy physics is it possible? 20 mpg in any diesel on the highway haha you guys must be going like 60 with no traffic in the Texas night. Driving like a normal person on the highway with traffic try about 14-18 in a diesel w/3.73's. A 1500 4.3 chevy will get you about 18 on the highway about 10 pulling the 16ft trailer in the city. F150 with a 4.2 about the same as the v6 chevy. The diesels will get around 14-16 in the city with the trailer.

again, doing 65-70 i can easily get 20-22mpg on the highway. Just recently i took 80 from nyc to pennsylvania and i got 21.4 and that included a regen of the filter on the truck. As for city driving... its all different. My diesel gets maybe 12 at best but thats because i do very heavy city driving. (with a trailer)

Milwaukee
03-30-2010, 12:52 PM
[QUOTE=Petr51488;3496559]
Hmmm, i must be the only lucky guy out there that can easily get 22 on the highway doing 65-70. Empty that is.

[/]QUOTE]

I am not talk about diesel I am talk about gas. We got 21 mpg out 2000 F350 ext cab 2wd with 7.3L

unkownfl
03-30-2010, 12:58 PM
Again apples to Oranges. He is commuting to work so unless he is driving with no traffic and 400 miles he will never see 20mpg on the highway. He states his trip is only 20 miles of highway. He would average about 15 for that size of trip considering getting to highway speed.

black7.3
03-30-2010, 02:43 PM
If you want mpgs get a honda............... I dont care what you get, 20 mpg is asking a lot for a truck gas diesel whatever. If your driving a nissan now wtf are you even looking at a diesel. You got to remember a diesel is more expensive to maintain Ya know 7 qts. of oil vs. 15qts. in a diesel, the filters are more money and cost to repair. Dont only look at mpg you got to think cost of operation

CASEBoy89
03-30-2010, 03:38 PM
I would say if you are going to be towing, and wanting to use the truck to work and tow and be a DD I would go with a diesel. A 2nd gen cummins or a 7.3l PS will get you decent mileage. My 95 12v cummins with 4.10s has been getting around 17 MPG with a lot of city driving and idle time so i only expect it to get a littler better as it gets warmer and i start driving the highway more. The whole idea behind it costs more to own a diesel i have to argue. Diesel fluctuates where i live. Sometimes its 10-15 cents more sometimes less sometimes the same as gas. You have to think if you get a work truck 2500 or 3500 being able to drive that and get 15-18mpg with diesel rather then 10-13 with a Gas saves you a lot over a year. Also diesels engine oil can be changed every5-6k miles...thats two oil changes for a gas...gas may cost less to change oil but add the two togather and its about the same as one diesel change. Insurance was 10 bucks more for me......over my 1500 v-8

JMiller08
03-30-2010, 03:41 PM
I know all about the costs of a diesel. Im thinking that the longetivity and the little bit of better fuel economy would be worth it. I think if i could get atleast 18 mpg highway it'd be worth my money. I also take trips to southern ohio 4-5 times a year witch is 500 miles round trip and thats also with pulling a trailer with 1-2 atvs on it.

CASEBoy89
03-30-2010, 03:46 PM
well i think diesel is the better route, thats why i went with a diesel. I had a gas 1500 V-8 and it towed like crap and got only 7mpg while towing and 12mpg empty. I hated it. Found my cummins and fell in love. Know the truck will last me forever as long as i take care of it and that it will get better mileage while empty and towing. Im glad i went with a diesel!

unkownfl
03-30-2010, 04:09 PM
If you can afford the entry cost of a diesel get it. Oil change intervals on a diesel are 7500 miles on mine running conventional oil to the 3000 recommended on my 4.2 and 4.3 engines. Personally I drive my smaller trucks for every day use because they are 4x2 and reg cabs so I can park easier than the 4x4 crew cab.

Moto52
03-30-2010, 05:27 PM
again, doing 65-70 i can easily get 20-22mpg on the highway. Just recently i took 80 from nyc to pennsylvania and i got 21.4 and that included a regen of the filter on the truck. As for city driving... its all different. My diesel gets maybe 12 at best but thats because i do very heavy city driving. (with a trailer)

I am talking about 18mpg with staight highway driving, with a 4x4 and 265 size tires. I hope the mileage your talking about isn't from that overhead display?? you have to hand calculate it because the computers are off.. 70mpg getting 22mpg is got to be something special i've been around diesel trucks for a very long time and I have seen lots of over head computers saying that but the truck isn't actually getting that...

unkownfl
03-30-2010, 05:33 PM
I am talking about 18mpg with staight highway driving, with a 4x4 and 265 size tires. I hope the mileage your talking about isn't from that overhead display?? you have to hand calculate it because the computers are off.. 70mpg getting 22mpg is got to be something special i've been around diesel trucks for a very long time and I have seen lots of over head computers saying that but the truck isn't actually getting that...

never-mind the gallon or so difference in filling up completely.

Moto52
03-30-2010, 05:47 PM
never-mind the gallon or so difference in filling up completely.

I know that starting with a full tank with the trip set drive till your empty then fill up and look how many miles you drove to how much you used it filling it back up could be out just a little depending on how much you fill it up. but being out by half a gallon or so isn't going to make you go from 18mpg to 22 or 25...

unkownfl
03-30-2010, 07:56 PM
Hey I'm with you I totally agree that 18mpg is about max you should expect from these diesels. However it just depends on how big the tank is to see the effect of 1/2 gallon or so of fuel. :laugh:

It was directed to the poster that states he get 22 mpg.

djagusch
03-30-2010, 10:11 PM
I'm pretty sure my diesel with the emmissions crap does pretty well. I can get atleast 20mpg on the highway.

Obviously the 1/2 ton will get the best mileage. a v6 1500 will get more mpg's then a 6.0 gas 2500 that will get you roughly 11mpg's. What are you using the truck for? estimates? towing a trailer?

I was told around 15mpg with the new emissions crap in real world conditions (stop and go some 30mph some 60mph) from my buddy who owns a 08. My 09 6.0 is getting 13mpg in the same conditions. So 2 mpg difference doesn't justify the cost for my operation.

Petr51488
03-30-2010, 11:07 PM
[/]QUOTE]

I am not talk about diesel I am talk about gas. We got 21 mpg out 2000 F350 ext cab 2wd with 7.3L[/QUOTE]

Oh, the original poster said he wanted a diesel, so thats why i threw that out there.

Actually the computers on these trucks (new gmc's/chevy's) are very accurate. The gallons used may be a tenth or two off, but the mpgs are very close to accurate. They may be slightly off, but not by a 2+mpg's.

unkownfl
03-30-2010, 11:11 PM
Peter, are we to take your word on the 22mpg and as well that the computer is accurate? Have any creditable sources?

Petr51488
03-30-2010, 11:29 PM
Peter, are we to take your word on the 22mpg and as well that the computer is accurate? Have any creditable sources?

I would hope so because i actually own the truck unlike those who have heard or know people.

unkownfl
03-30-2010, 11:33 PM
I would hope so because i actually own the truck unlike those who have heard or know people.

was that f350 a manual transmission?

Petr51488
03-30-2010, 11:46 PM
was that f350 a manual transmission?

I think you have the wrong guy. I have an 08 gmc 2500 crew cab long bed diesel.

Moto52
03-31-2010, 02:35 PM

A normal duramax without the emissions DPF crap doesn't get 22mpg and your trying to say yours does? I don't believe that for a second I know of two guys with the new ones and there worse mileage then the older duramax so i don't know how your the lucky guy getting 22 when most guys i talk to are more around 15 to 16.

Petr51488
03-31-2010, 05:25 PM
A normal duramax without the emissions DPF crap doesn't get 22mpg and your trying to say yours does? I don't believe that for a second I know of two guys with the new ones and there worse mileage then the older duramax so i don't know how your the lucky guy getting 22 when most guys i talk to are more around 15 to 16.

lol believe what you want. The pre-emissions has a 5 speed allison, mine has a 6 speed. That will give you much better mileage at highway speeds. The DPF only uses a little less than ONE gallon of fuel per tank to clean itself out of which you get 10mpg's or so on the highway. I guess the only way to prove this is to video an hour long trip while i'm driving with the camera pointed at the DIC....which i'm not about to do. I'm just stating the facts because i actually own one and know what i'm talking about. Its also about how fast you drive and how heavy your foot is. Doing 75 you wont get 22. I averaged 22 doing 70 +/-.

supercuts
03-31-2010, 07:41 PM
i love these threads. even comparing identical trucks, its still not apples to apples. my diesel f350 is great UNTIL YOU START UP ANY INCLINE. as soon as you do and the turbo boost sits around 20-35psi, look out, you'll pray for numbers like 8 mpg. now that same truck in flat florida will get good mileage. keep that in mind......

supercuts
03-31-2010, 07:45 PM
lol believe what you want. The pre-emissions has a 5 speed allison, mine has a 6 speed. That will give you much better mileage at highway speeds. The DPF only uses a little less than ONE gallon of fuel per tank to clean itself out of which you get 10mpg's or so on the highway. I guess the only way to prove this is to video an hour long trip while i'm driving with the camera pointed at the DIC....which i'm not about to do. I'm just stating the facts because i actually own one and know what i'm talking about. Its also about how fast you drive and how heavy your foot is. Doing 75 you wont get 22. I averaged 22 doing 70 +/-.

or you could end up with a POS like mine which goes into regen every other time i drive it........thats one of about 10 reason im in the middle of a lemon law dispute..still.

Petr51488
03-31-2010, 10:27 PM
or you could end up with a POS like mine which goes into regen every other time i drive it........thats one of about 10 reason im in the middle of a lemon law dispute..still.

lol luckily i dont have that problem. Do you do alot of idling and heavy city driving? maybe you dont drive enough highway miles to let it clean itself out properly? just some ideas...

supercuts
03-31-2010, 10:39 PM
lol luckily i dont have that problem. Do you do alot of idling and heavy city driving? maybe you dont drive enough highway miles to let it clean itself out properly? just some ideas...

funny when you buy a truck like this for $40k they dont tell you about those things...

GravelyGuy
03-31-2010, 10:49 PM
I think you have the wrong guy. I have an 08 gmc 2500 crew cab long bed diesel.

What did you say you were getting with the DMax towing in the city? How many miles does that truck have now? Any trouble?

I have consistently been getting 6.8 MPG with my 5.4 Ford for the last two weeks:laugh: All stop and go city.

Petr51488
03-31-2010, 11:04 PM
funny when you buy a truck like this for $40k they dont tell you about those things...

haha thats what the forums are all about. dieselplace is good place where i learned alot about these trucks.

What did you say you were getting with the DMax towing in the city? How many miles does that truck have now? Any trouble?

I have consistently been getting 6.8 MPG with my 5.4 Ford for the last two weeks:laugh: All stop and go city.

Towing with my 6x12 enclosed trailer i get about 13 or so. My 6.0 gets about 8 or 9... The reason why its so low is because i usually never get above 30mph and theres alot of stop signs, houses arent very far apart, idling etc. The truck has 39,6xx miles on it. No problems at all. (knock on wood). I lied. I had to get the trans hose replaced (known problem) which was done for free, and i think thats about it..... Great truck overall. I would deff buy another one if need be.

Moto52
03-31-2010, 11:39 PM

the 6 speed came out in 06, two of my very close friends both have 06
s and are no where near 22mpg.....

Petr51488
03-31-2010, 11:49 PM
the 6 speed came out in 06, two of my very close friends both have 06
s and are no where near 22mpg.....

you are correct... my salesman must have had an 05 because he told me his was a 5 speed. Anyway, there's something about the newer ones that get the better mileage. I noticed on the forums that not everyone gets good mileage. Some get crappy, some get get decent, some get awesome. I guess i got lucky! lol I broke mine in properly, use synthetic oils, and everything is stock.

GravelyGuy
04-01-2010, 12:05 AM
you are correct... my salesman must have had an 05 because he told me his was a 5 speed. Anyway, there's something about the newer ones that get the better mileage. I noticed on the forums that not everyone gets good mileage. Some get crappy, some get get decent, some get awesome. I guess i got lucky! lol I broke mine in properly, use synthetic oils, and everything is stock.

Keeping vehicles stock and using synthetics makes a difference.

unkownfl
04-01-2010, 12:22 AM
Its all in the flash on the PCM if you are getting poor mileage on a new diesel take it in and have them re-flash it. Synthetics lol yeah your saving so much in reducing the friction in the engine right? HAHA to funny. If there was enough friction in an engine to lower the mileage any and to switch to synthetics would improve your mileage, well your engine wouldn't last long.

360ci
04-02-2010, 12:11 AM
What trucks have the best fuel mileage. Im looking to buy a new truck and wondering about fuel economy. It has to be 4x4 and extended cab. Gas or diesel. What ya guys think?

For the 16' open trailer you had mentioned I'd stick with a gasser. Lower initial cost, and to only drive 20 miles or less at a time, makes me believe a diesel wouldn't be worth while to only drive 20 miles or less at a time.

Food for thought: Weight is the ultimate factor in fuel economy. Manufacturers are adding mutli speed autos to help compensate, but even then it can only do so much. GM leads the field in lowest weight in its class. Adding a diesel, also adds 800-900lbs to the front end, which in itself lowers mileage, eats tires faster, and if you get a 07+ diesel with the newer emissions you'll have more maintenance costs to worry about down the road. Why buy something you don't NEED?

Sure, I'd love to get a diesel 4x4, even in base trim, but it's overkill for what I'd use it for. A 3.7L I5 Colorado can tow a 16' open trailer, depending on what you want to carry up to 5,000lbs. I know you said 'full size', and to even think about needing a one-ton truck is definitely not necessary for your application.

If you can find a good deal on a 3/4ton and plan to upgrade to heavier, larger equipment in the future at least you'll have room to grow. Getting a new or used half ton with a V8 can net you 15mpg average when towing.

However, when under load there's not much difference between 1/2 and 3/4 ton fuel economy with a gas engine. Granted, gearing, wet weight, condition of the vehicle all play a part in mileage. If you plan to tow with it more than you plan to drive it for personal use, go 3/4, if you plan to drive it more than tow with it, a 1/2 ton will suit you fine, and it's more livable.

For a weekend tow machine I'd get a crew cab GM 4.8L 2wd with the 3.73 gears which can tow 8700lbs. Now, the 4.8 comes with the 4 speed auto, versus the 5.3/6 speed configuration. The 5.3/6speed cannot be had in Work Truck (WT) trim (in Canada at least), and thus keeps the price under $30K while still being able to tow a large amount. Due to the displacement difference and the 5.3L with 6 speed running lower rpm at the same relative highway speed, they'll get similar mileage. rated at 20mpg highway for both engines is a bit overstated.

Mileage can vary as much as your wife's clothing, that is if she shops as much as mine does. If I can get my 5.9L V8 AWD Durango R/T up past 18mpg, when it's only rated for 15 (2008 rating) highway, I think that's a definite bonus, but I don't expect it. I bought it for what it can do, handle trails, carry 7ppl, and tow my old 5600lb TT.

crhoades68
04-06-2010, 10:03 AM
I have been considering future truck options for some time. I go back and forth between a diesel and gas. After reading this entire thread I'm just not sure making a switch to diesel makes sense except for one reason ... longevity.

I upgraded to a 7 x 16 enclosed trailer this year. On average I'm towing approximately 4500 lbs. I'm pulling this with an '07 Toyota Tacoma V6 Double Cab with the long bed. The only issue I have experienced thus far is long ascents. Without mashing the gas I do lose speed. When pulling this trailer I get between 10-12 mpg. When I'm not pulling a trailer I get 19-20.

I'm thinking I should just stay where I'm at. The only upgrade I've made is add a Hellwig helper spring set for $156.

I'd be interested to hear what others think about my situation and whether or not I should move up and if so which direction.

Dirt Digger2
04-06-2010, 11:59 AM
wow...i would kill for my truck to get 18mpg..with a 38 gallon tank that is almost 240 extra miles between fill ups for me...right now i get 12...if i'm lucky, normally 11...sometimes 10 depending on how many traffic lights i hit going to work on any particular day...i calculate every fill up

I am filling up atleast once a week...it sucks..thats why I am thinking of trading it in on a new Dodge 2500 diesel...for an extra 6 miles per gallon fuel savings alone would make my monthly truck payment

GravelyNut
04-09-2010, 11:01 PM
A normal duramax without the emissions DPF crap doesn't get 22mpg and your trying to say yours does? I don't believe that for a second I know of two guys with the new ones and there worse mileage then the older duramax so i don't know how your the lucky guy getting 22 when most guys i talk to are more around 15 to 16.Add another person who has to listen to an owner of an 06 that sucks fuel. That 15 to 16 is what he gets empty and down near 13 loaded. His 03 with the 5 speed got better MPG.

360ci
04-09-2010, 11:28 PM
I have been considering future truck options for some time. I go back and forth between a diesel and gas. After reading this entire thread I'm just not sure making a switch to diesel makes sense except for one reason ... longevity.

I upgraded to a 7 x 16 enclosed trailer this year. On average I'm towing approximately 4500 lbs. I'm pulling this with an '07 Toyota Tacoma V6 Double Cab with the long bed. The only issue I have experienced thus far is long ascents. Without mashing the gas I do lose speed. When pulling this trailer I get between 10-12 mpg. When I'm not pulling a trailer I get 19-20.

I'm thinking I should just stay where I'm at. The only upgrade I've made is add a Hellwig helper spring set for $156.

I'd be interested to hear what others think about my situation and whether or not I should move up and if so which direction.

First and foremost, longevity can be had with either engine. If you run a V8 gas with synthetics and change the oil every 5K, it'll last you forever. If you're current set up works, why change it? The taco can easily handle 6K with the V6. Keep in mind when towing it's best to keep the trans in a lower gear (lock out over drive) for best performance and as you said, longevity. If you needed to pull heavier equipment, a small V6 will be overtaxes, especially with the frontal area of a 7' wide enclosed trailer.

The other plus is that for everyday driving you can get decent mileage when not towing, which if you go to a V8, don't except higher than mid-teens at the best of times when not laden!

In 2004 when I shopped the market for a newer 'truck' or 'do-all' vehicle. I decided on a Durango, mostly for price (auction), and I got the 5.9L V8, R/T package (shorter tires, LSD axle standard, etc), and it could tow my trailers (utility and 27' TT) with ease. The downside, is that around town it gets 12mpg. Lower speed highway drives (55-60mph) I can coax out nearly 19mpg...a bit less if I use cruise control. If I don't use cruise, I can lose a few mph going up hills and then regain speed going down. Cruise control powers down hills as well as going up to maintain speed, and thus can use more fuel. On trucks with modern displacement on demand or similar tech, cruise is more beneficial. So, again, I'd hold onto your current setup for the time being.

JS&L
04-21-2010, 01:11 PM
I have an 01 f350 4x4 x-cab lariat with an edge programer and i get 22-25 mpg avg on the overhead council and when i calcuate it out.. compared to our identicaly equiped 00 f350 with a 5.4 that averages 7-9 mpg our 3500 gmc dump 2wd 350 vortec auto only gets 8-10 mpg avg. i recomend the diesel's I was a ford tech previousally till late 07 look for a 99-03 7.3 powerstroke, the 6.0 and 6.4 are problem childs, and i herd the 6.7's in the 2011's are not much better.

JS&L
04-21-2010, 01:28 PM
sorry all trucks are auto's and i have 20x8.5 enclosed trailers that weigh 8-9k loaded and i get 19-20 towing with the 01, 4-6 mpg towing with the 5.4 and 4-6 mpg towing with the dump loaded.

Moto52
04-21-2010, 03:55 PM
sorry all trucks are auto's and i have 20x8.5 enclosed trailers that weigh 8-9k loaded and i get 19-20 towing with the 01, 4-6 mpg towing with the 5.4 and 4-6 mpg towing with the dump loaded.

:dizzy: 20mpg with a 4x4 f350 7.3 towing a 9000 pound enclosed trailer takes the cake right there for total BS... I have a 4x4 7.3 and a 8.5x 20 v-nose enclosed trailer and if I can get 12 to 13mpg towing that i'm doing very very good...

JS&L
04-21-2010, 03:59 PM
if your local i'd be happy to show you, again i was a ford tech up till 07 and know the tricks and tweeks for these diesel engines!

Moto52
04-21-2010, 04:32 PM
if your local i'd be happy to show you, again i was a ford tech up till 07 and know the tricks and tweeks for these diesel engines!

what are you going to show me your over head console? mine says i avg 19mpg but i'm no where near that the computers are way off...

JS&L
04-21-2010, 05:25 PM
no i'll show my log book with miles to the tank and amount of fuel added.

unkownfl
04-21-2010, 05:43 PM

If this was true Ford would have never had to switch engines because that would be so efficient there is basically no emissions.

JS&L
04-21-2010, 05:48 PM
Ford switched to the 6.0 due to emissions to keep from getting fines from the gov't. They switched to the 6.4 because the 6.0 was such a problem child, and then they switched to the 6.7 to get rid of navistar. Also my engine is not stock! as stated in my first post...

unkownfl
04-21-2010, 05:52 PM
You God or Jesus?

JS&L
04-21-2010, 05:53 PM
and if it isn't true explain how i went to michigan 2 weekends ago drove 536 miles on 24.5 gallons with a 16 foot trailer empty out and loaded with a superior loader and a brush cutter.

unkownfl
04-21-2010, 06:03 PM
and if it isn't true explain how i went to michigan 2 weekends ago drove 536 miles on 24.5 gallons with a 16 foot trailer empty out and loaded with a superior loader and a brush cutter.

Easy to explain you're lying :hammerhead:

I guess you never heard of physics??? Unless its all down hill its unexplainable and is a natural phenomena.

unkownfl
04-21-2010, 06:06 PM
Oh wait I guess if you use it as a diesel electric you could do it.

JS&L
04-21-2010, 06:15 PM
Think what you would like, i have friends that have superduty's that didn't believe untill we took a road trip and now they believe... just like my friend that i picked up the brush cutter and the loader for.

Moto52
04-21-2010, 08:20 PM
Ford switched to the 6.0 due to emissions to keep from getting fines from the gov't. They switched to the 6.4 because the 6.0 was such a problem child, and then they switched to the 6.7 to get rid of navistar. Also my engine is not stock! as stated in my first post...

So what do you have done to your motor to get that kind of mileage towing that no one else in the world knows about cause if they did everyone would be buying a 7.3 powerstroke..... and if your goin to say you have propane injection you have to calculate that used not just diesel fuel.

JS&L
04-21-2010, 10:01 PM
programer, upgraded injection pump,upgraded exhaust, stage 3 injectors, hpo cross over, cold air kit, larger turbo impeller,verified not powdered metal rods, synthetic oil ( for injector/ injection pump longevity) as well as complete fuel delivery system upgrade.

JS&L
04-21-2010, 10:03 PM
also propane injection really makes more power but no difference in economy... just like nitros in a gas engine.. wich i don't like...

unkownfl
04-21-2010, 10:26 PM
also propane injection really makes more power but no difference in economy... just like nitros in a gas engine.. wich i don't like...

Okay enough of this BS. Whats the damn tire sizes on your truck and trailer? Stock ride height? type of trailer? Have a gate or ramps sticking up measure them and give me the damn specs. Also, what was on the trailer for resistance? What average speed and rpm? I will prove to you in a simple algebraic function how its impossible to net the results claimed. Also, need temp and humidity of said date.

Moto52
04-21-2010, 11:01 PM
programer, upgraded injection pump,upgraded exhaust, stage 3 injectors, hpo cross over, cold air kit, larger turbo impeller,verified not powdered metal rods, synthetic oil ( for injector/ injection pump longevity) as well as complete fuel delivery system upgrade.

LOL forged rods or PMR have absolutely nothing to do with fuel economy, I have full exhuast and cold air intake and programer and with your bigger injectors do not give better mileage I don't believe you for a second that your getting that mileage towing that is impossible.

JS&L
04-21-2010, 11:30 PM
again believe what you want. i was just giving the guy the info, and i know the rods don't make economy difference, but they make a reliability difference.

JS&L
04-21-2010, 11:38 PM
265/75 16 bfg long trail, stock suspension, front hubs unlocked, 16 ft tandem landscape trailer with expanded metal gate 4'6" x 6'6". superior loader attachment for ford tractor and 4 ft brush cutter (3 Pt). 65-75 mph (65 in ohio and 75 in mi) temp was 60's and i really did not pay attention to the humidity.

Moto52
04-22-2010, 09:41 AM
265/75 16 bfg long trail, stock suspension, front hubs unlocked, 16 ft tandem landscape trailer with expanded metal gate 4'6" x 6'6". superior loader attachment for ford tractor and 4 ft brush cutter (3 Pt). 65-75 mph (65 in ohio and 75 in mi) temp was 60's and i really did not pay attention to the humidity.

why are you saying a 16ft landscape trailer now? thought it was a 8.5x20 enclosed 9000lbs trailer getting 20mpg towing? Its a free forum to write what you want but don't try to con people into thinking that your telling the truth. I've been heavily into motocross for the past 10 years and have and no lots of people with diesel trucks and big trailers and small trailers,and that mpg that your claiming is so far from the truth I can't believe your even typing it out.

My truck is a 2002 F250 crewcab shortbox 4x4, AFE intake, Banks 4'' turbo back exhuast, DP Tuner, Auto meter boost,pyro,tranny and going 65 to 70mpg EMPTY! i only get around 18mpg if i'm lucky and with winter diesel been barely getting 14mpg.

unkownfl
04-22-2010, 11:29 AM
still need trailer tire size number of axles I guess 2? I have no Idea where to get dimensions for the equipment to build a function.

JS&L
04-22-2010, 12:09 PM
still need trailer tire size number of axles I guess 2? I have no Idea where to get dimensions for the equipment to build a function.

205 75 15 and tandem axle.

JS&L
04-22-2010, 12:11 PM
why are you saying a 16ft landscape trailer now? thought it was a 8.5x20 enclosed 9000lbs trailer getting 20mpg towing? Its a free forum to write what you want but don't try to con people into thinking that your telling the truth. I've been heavily into motocross for the past 10 years and have and no lots of people with diesel trucks and big trailers and small trailers,and that mpg that your claiming is so far from the truth I can't believe your even typing it out.

My truck is a 2002 F250 crewcab shortbox 4x4, AFE intake, Banks 4'' turbo back exhuast, DP Tuner, Auto meter boost,pyro,tranny and going 65 to 70mpg EMPTY! i only get around 18mpg if i'm lucky and with winter diesel been barely getting 14mpg.

It makes almost no difference which of the toung pull trailers i tow on mpg.

but when i put the gooseneck on it is the high teens but i am ususally pulling a heavy load.

JS&L
04-22-2010, 12:15 PM
Hay if I was bsing i would of said i was getting 50 mpg out of my gasser superduty!

Moto52
04-22-2010, 01:59 PM
Hay if I was bsing i would of said i was getting 50 mpg out of my gasser superduty!

You can say whatever you want to say, if you said you were getting 50mpg i wouldn't even of replyed to your post in the first place. The reason I know your full of #%^ is because I have owned my 7.3 for a long time and drove it stock, small tires, chipped, not chipped, and pulling 9000lbs and getting 20mpg is just the stupidest thing I have ever heard of...

FullAuto
04-22-2010, 02:27 PM
There are certain Duramax motors and plenty of 5.9 24v Cummins guys that knock down over 20mpg. But they are pretty much all hotshot drivers running all highway with flatbeds, manual trannys, programmers and are 3/4 ton or 1 ton SRW. Of the typical diesels that most everyone else owns, there are still plenty of 3/4 Cummins guys getting right at 20mpg.

I currently drive a '06 Dodge 3500 4x4 Laramie CC SRW automatic. I average ~17.5mpg with my average driving being about 60% highway. Admittingly, I am a fairly mild driver. But this is totally stock without a programmer. I firmly believe I could get 19+ with a programmer and my driving style even with a 4x4. Towing a loaded 16' utility or 18' car hauler, I get a solid 16mpg. The most I've towed was a 24' enclosed with my race car, golf cart, tools, BBQ, etc. (everything needed for a weekend at the track). That thing is like a big parachute and I still got 14mpg with it going 70mph. I was very pleased with that. I will be ordering a programmer shortly now that I just crossed 100k miles and have no warranty left. The 5.9 Cummins is the king of diesel mileage.

My father's '05 Chevy Z71 CC auto gets ~17mpg unloaded. I do better than him with twice the truck.

My 2001 7.3 Powerstroke F-250 was a Lariat 2wd CC automatic. It averaged 15mpg unloaded but went to 17-17.5 with a Predator programmer set on the 40hp tow program. Diesels respond very well to programmers.

My buddies '01 GMC Sierra 4.8L gets around 17mpg too. He's a little on the agressive side. But when my Powerstroke broke and we had to go to San Antonio with a car (700+ miles one way), we towed an 18' car hauler with it down there. It barely got 10mpg but we were "attempting" to do 75+ mph the entire time. It also struggles to haul up hills and will downshift into 2nd if you try to hold over 65mph loaded. The Powerstroke or Cummins will never downshift at all.

The most important thing is whatever you decide, if it's a diesel you MUST get a 4x4. Those things are so nose heavy, they'll get stuck in wet grass. If you have a 2wd diesel, you better NEVER leave the pavement.

joed
05-16-2010, 09:57 AM
For the 16' open trailer you had mentioned I'd stick with a gasser. Lower initial cost, and to only drive 20 miles or less at a time, makes me believe a diesel wouldn't be worth while to only drive 20 miles or less at a time.

Food for thought: Weight is the ultimate factor in fuel economy. Manufacturers are adding mutli speed autos to help compensate, but even then it can only do so much. GM leads the field in lowest weight in its class. Adding a diesel, also adds 800-900lbs to the front end, which in itself lowers mileage, eats tires faster, and if you get a 07+ diesel with the newer emissions you'll have more maintenance costs to worry about down the road. Why buy something you don't NEED?

Sure, I'd love to get a diesel 4x4, even in base trim, but it's overkill for what I'd use it for. A 3.7L I5 Colorado can tow a 16' open trailer, depending on what you want to carry up to 5,000lbs. I know you said 'full size', and to even think about needing a one-ton truck is definitely not necessary for your application.

If you can find a good deal on a 3/4ton and plan to upgrade to heavier, larger equipment in the future at least you'll have room to grow. Getting a new or used half ton with a V8 can net you 15mpg average when towing.

However, when under load there's not much difference between 1/2 and 3/4 ton fuel economy with a gas engine. Granted, gearing, wet weight, condition of the vehicle all play a part in mileage. If you plan to tow with it more than you plan to drive it for personal use, go 3/4, if you plan to drive it more than tow with it, a 1/2 ton will suit you fine, and it's more livable.

For a weekend tow machine I'd get a crew cab GM 4.8L 2wd with the 3.73 gears which can tow 8700lbs. Now, the 4.8 comes with the 4 speed auto, versus the 5.3/6 speed configuration. The 5.3/6speed cannot be had in Work Truck (WT) trim (in Canada at least), and thus keeps the price under $30K while still being able to tow a large amount. Due to the displacement difference and the 5.3L with 6 speed running lower rpm at the same relative highway speed, they'll get similar mileage. rated at 20mpg highway for both engines is a bit overstated.

Mileage can vary as much as your wife's clothing, that is if she shops as much as mine does. If I can get my 5.9L V8 AWD Durango R/T up past 18mpg, when it's only rated for 15 (2008 rating) highway, I think that's a definite bonus, but I don't expect it. I bought it for what it can do, handle trails, carry 7ppl, and tow my old 5600lb TT.

Thanks for the great info. I'm from your neck of the woods, Mississauga, and was looking to get a replacement for my 2000 GMC 3/4 ton with 6.0L V8. My priority is fuel economy and I narrowed my choices down to Ford F150 with 6 speed/4.6 V8 or a GMC. I prefer GMC but for the same price Ford gives you a better deal: XLT trim level, 6 speed auto and better mileage than the GMC's 4.8 L 4 speed auto. If I wanted to go up to the 5.3L/6 speed combo, it would cost me 5K more. Only thing I don't like about the Ford is the height, way too tall. What are your thoughts on the 4 speed and 4.8 from GM. Good fuel economy? Better than the 4.6 and 6 speed from Ford?

360ci
05-16-2010, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the great info. I'm from your neck of the woods, Mississauga, and was looking to get a replacement for my 2000 GMC 3/4 ton with 6.0L V8. My priority is fuel economy and I narrowed my choices down to Ford F150 with 6 speed/4.6 V8 or a GMC. I prefer GMC but for the same price Ford gives you a better deal: XLT trim level, 6 speed auto and better mileage than the GMC's 4.8 L 4 speed auto. If I wanted to go up to the 5.3L/6 speed combo, it would cost me 5K more. Only thing I don't like about the Ford is the height, way too tall. What are your thoughts on the 4 speed and 4.8 from GM. Good fuel economy? Better than the 4.6 and 6 speed from Ford?

Well, it ultimately comes down to personal opinion. If you get a F150 4x4, the only that that turns me away is the fact that the transfer case wiring isn't sealed under the truck, if you look down you'll see the multi-coloured wires just hanging there, waiting to get damaged. Small gripe I know.

For 2wd and crew cab, I'd go for the GMC. Sierra is lighter weight, which offsets the 2 gear deficit. However, if you plan on towing more than 4-5K regularly, the 6 speed will prove to be the better choice. If you plan on towing fairly heavy the 6 speed will prove it's weight in gold. Last I checked, the option to upgrade to the 5.3L 6 speed auto in the GMC is under $3K, or around $2700 or so. No extra options are required if you check the box online. If you phoned the dealer, I'm sure they just guessed at a cost, as sales people aren't too up to date on costs as they are on the equipment/trim levels. After all, they leave the finances to the business office, not sales department.

The F 150 is taller, especially in 4x4 guise but as an example (both 4x4) the 6 speed Ford 4.6 gets 1-2mpg better than the GM 4.8 on paper. However, last I checked the highest you can go for gears is 3.73 with Ford now. If you get the 4.10 with the 4.8 GM you'll have similar performance and around town fuel economy, but the Ford will more than likely get slightly better highway mileage due to reduced engine speed. Both engines are a proven design, and I haven't heard of anything bad from the Ford 6 speeds, or GM units for that matter. GM 4 speeds do have some issues, but that's nothing new and chances of it developing into a major problem are usually the owner/drivers fault for not tending to it when he should have. I believe the problems were more solenoid related, but nothing major and they generally give a sign or two of a problem before it turns worse and costs you more dough.

As mentioned, it comes down to your personal preference. Personally cost isn't an issue for me but if I got a NEW truck, It'd be a GM 2500 crew cab short box (6.5') with the 6.0L gas. Inexpensive, and it'll last me a couple decades.

Years ago I was after a Tahoe, but ended up getting my current Durango R/T. It's smaller, yes, but it can haul 1600lbs, tow 7300lbs, has a solid rear axle with a two speed transfer case, seats 7 when I need it and replacement parts are fairly inexpensive. I got it for $6K less than a comparable Tahoe at auction WITH lower miles. So I couldn't say no. However, I didn't buy it for mileage.

joed
05-16-2010, 02:20 PM
Well, it ultimately comes down to personal opinion. If you get a F150 4x4, the only that that turns me away is the fact that the transfer case wiring isn't sealed under the truck, if you look down you'll see the multi-coloured wires just hanging there, waiting to get damaged. Small gripe I know.

For 2wd and crew cab, I'd go for the GMC. Sierra is lighter weight, which offsets the 2 gear deficit. However, if you plan on towing more than 4-5K regularly, the 6 speed will prove to be the better choice. If you plan on towing fairly heavy the 6 speed will prove it's weight in gold. Last I checked, the option to upgrade to the 5.3L 6 speed auto in the GMC is under $3K, or around $2700 or so. No extra options are required if you check the box online. If you phoned the dealer, I'm sure they just guessed at a cost, as sales people aren't too up to date on costs as they are on the equipment/trim levels. After all, they leave the finances to the business office, not sales department.

The F 150 is taller, especially in 4x4 guise but as an example (both 4x4) the 6 speed Ford 4.6 gets 1-2mpg better than the GM 4.8 on paper. However, last I checked the highest you can go for gears is 3.73 with Ford now. If you get the 4.10 with the 4.8 GM you'll have similar performance and around town fuel economy, but the Ford will more than likely get slightly better highway mileage due to reduced engine speed. Both engines are a proven design, and I haven't heard of anything bad from the Ford 6 speeds, or GM units for that matter. GM 4 speeds do have some issues, but that's nothing new and chances of it developing into a major problem are usually the owner/drivers fault for not tending to it when he should have. I believe the problems were more solenoid related, but nothing major and they generally give a sign or two of a problem before it turns worse and costs you more dough.

As mentioned, it comes down to your personal preference. Personally cost isn't an issue for me but if I got a NEW truck, It'd be a GM 2500 crew cab short box (6.5') with the 6.0L gas. Inexpensive, and it'll last me a couple decades.

Years ago I was after a Tahoe, but ended up getting my current Durango R/T. It's smaller, yes, but it can haul 1600lbs, tow 7300lbs, has a solid rear axle with a two speed transfer case, seats 7 when I need it and replacement parts are fairly inexpensive. I got it for $6K less than a comparable Tahoe at auction WITH lower miles. So I couldn't say no. However, I didn't buy it for mileage.

Thanks again for the great info. It's better than the salesman gave me. Only thing is that when I asked the salesman about moving up to the 5.3/6 speed combo, he said I'd have to go up to an SLE model to get it. That pushes the truck up 5K over the Ford. Personally I don't do much towing nor off-roading. Pretty much it's an everyday truck for me. With that is the 5.3/6 speed, the 4.6/6 speed, or the 4.8/4 speed going to give me the best fuel economy? The other thing I thought of was possibly looking at an 06 or so Duramax diesel. Don't know if that would beat the other combos for fuel economy.

360ci
05-16-2010, 03:02 PM
Thanks again for the great info. It's better than the salesman gave me. Only thing is that when I asked the salesman about moving up to the 5.3/6 speed combo, he said I'd have to go up to an SLE model to get it. That pushes the truck up 5K over the Ford. Personally I don't do much towing nor off-roading. Pretty much it's an everyday truck for me. With that is the 5.3/6 speed, the 4.6/6 speed, or the 4.8/4 speed going to give me the best fuel economy? The other thing I thought of was possibly looking at an 06 or so Duramax diesel. Don't know if that would beat the other combos for fuel economy.

My opinion the 5.3L 6 speed combo would give you the best mileage. GM engines are known for mileage, and the truck itself is about 300-500lb lighter than the Ford when similarly equipped. That's a lot of useless weight on the Ford to be hauling around. If you plan to later tow close to 8K or more weight, the Ford would be the choice in terms of capability, as more weight makes for a more stable ride when towing heavy.

If you can get a diesel at a decent price used with maintenance records and perhaps low miles, then it might be worth your while. However, Duramax and it's transmission aren't cheap to fix. If you do a lot of in city start and stop driving then I'd stick with a gas engine. Diesels are meant to be driven, not consistently turned on and shut off every couple miles. Not saying it's good on a gas engine, but in terms of wear and tear parts, the gas engine can handle it better for long term durability.

And the salesman is right in a sense - TWO years ago you couldn't get the work truck 'WT' trim with the 5.3L 6sp combo and had to get the next trim. It's also less cost than I thought. Now keep in mind these are all overpriced Canadian vehicle prices:

Base WT crew cab 4wd: 28,995 (after $8K in dealer incentives)
5.3L engine: $1,335
6 speed trans: $260
HD Towing Package: $475
HD Cooling Package: $315
Locking Diff: $410
Integrated Brake Control: $250
Deep tint glass: $255
Cruise control: $400
Under seat storage: $175

That's the configuration and options I would get if I were to buy a GM 1500 for 'work' as well as en everyday vehicle.

Total MSRP in Ontario is $32,965 after incentives. Not bad. Now, if you have the option to get cruise control, go for it. It'll be $400 well spent in the long run. Why? Because the cruise control is electronically controlled and helps keep the engine in the V4 mode when driving on the highway better than you could ever do with your foot. All tests I've read in personal forums, mags, etc, this combo is good for a real world fuel economy run in the 70mph speed range at 18mpg empty, which is damn good for a 'truck'. My Durango struggles to get 14mpg on a good day NOT towing.

When in doubt, go to the GM website and get a quote online, print it out and shove that in the salesman's face, leave, and find another dealer to buy from.

joed
05-16-2010, 07:54 PM
My opinion the 5.3L 6 speed combo would give you the best mileage. GM engines are known for mileage, and the truck itself is about 300-500lb lighter than the Ford when similarly equipped. That's a lot of useless weight on the Ford to be hauling around. If you plan to later tow close to 8K or more weight, the Ford would be the choice in terms of capability, as more weight makes for a more stable ride when towing heavy.

If you can get a diesel at a decent price used with maintenance records and perhaps low miles, then it might be worth your while. However, Duramax and it's transmission aren't cheap to fix. If you do a lot of in city start and stop driving then I'd stick with a gas engine. Diesels are meant to be driven, not consistently turned on and shut off every couple miles. Not saying it's good on a gas engine, but in terms of wear and tear parts, the gas engine can handle it better for long term durability.

And the salesman is right in a sense - TWO years ago you couldn't get the work truck 'WT' trim with the 5.3L 6sp combo and had to get the next trim. It's also less cost than I thought. Now keep in mind these are all overpriced Canadian vehicle prices:

Base WT crew cab 4wd: 28,995 (after $8K in dealer incentives)
5.3L engine: $1,335
6 speed trans: $260
HD Towing Package: $475
HD Cooling Package: $315
Locking Diff: $410
Integrated Brake Control: $250
Deep tint glass: $255
Cruise control: $400
Under seat storage: $175

That's the configuration and options I would get if I were to buy a GM 1500 for 'work' as well as en everyday vehicle.

Total MSRP in Ontario is $32,965 after incentives. Not bad. Now, if you have the option to get cruise control, go for it. It'll be $400 well spent in the long run. Why? Because the cruise control is electronically controlled and helps keep the engine in the V4 mode when driving on the highway better than you could ever do with your foot. All tests I've read in personal forums, mags, etc, this combo is good for a real world fuel economy run in the 70mph speed range at 18mpg empty, which is damn good for a 'truck'. My Durango struggles to get 14mpg on a good day NOT towing.

When in doubt, go to the GM website and get a quote online, print it out and shove that in the salesman's face, leave, and find another dealer to buy from.

Thanks again. I really appreciate your input. It' s the best I've found so far. I think I'm going to spend the next month or so looking for a used duramax or a used 09 with the 5.3 and 6 speed (these are hard to find though). If I can't find it by the summer, I'll look at getting the 1/2 ton. Ford and GM should have some nice deals then to rid themselves of 2010 stock before the 2011s come. Can't understand why GM would not offer the 6 speed with the 4.8 since Ford/Dodge/Toyota all offer a 5 or 6 speed with their base model. I find GM's design and technology to have fallen behind Ford/Dodge/Toyota. The GM 1/2 ton is not scheduled for a redesign until 2013. Add two more years to work out the bugs and you're looking at 2015 before we can really see how a new design works. It's too bad they shelved the plan to stick a 4.5L Duramax diesel in the 1/2 ton. That would have given us the best of all worlds.

Ozz
05-17-2010, 05:39 PM
A modded 5.9C. But, the new Ford PSD sounds awesome. 20 MPG... Or so Ford says. At 390 and 735, I doubt it. Tuned for effiecency, yah, but not making 390 and 735.

4 seasons lawn&land
05-17-2010, 08:37 PM
gotta love the MPG threads!

lawn king
05-18-2010, 07:41 AM
I get 18-20 on the highway in my 08 duramax 3500.

DoetschOutdoor
05-18-2010, 10:43 PM
Only had my dodge diesel 2.5 months and Im averaging between 14.5 to 17mpg for a weeks worth on one tank. Thats 30/70 mix of driving around unhooked and driving around either pulling 14' enclosed mowing trailer or 16' open trailer with mulch/rock and all the tools, all city driving. Mileage jumped to 20mpg on a trip to KC a few weeks ago and included about 80 miles of city driving once we got home, so that # woulda went up had I stayed on hwy. I had my hopes up of a lil better mileage when I got the truck but cant complain about 15mpg around town hooked up and 20 once I get on the hwy. All figures hand calculated as well, not overhead computer:hammerhead:

I would like to get a programmer as well once the 100k warranty is up but will have to get another truck for work before I go doing that do a work/personal truck.

4 seasons lawn&land
05-19-2010, 09:41 PM
I just put 75 bucks in my 3/4 ton 3 days in a row... There, now theres 2 honest posts in this thread hahahaha

Moto52
05-19-2010, 11:00 PM
I just put 75 bucks in my 3/4 ton 3 days in a row... There, now theres 2 honest posts in this thread hahahaha

yea all these people on this site towing big trailers in the city getting wicked fuel mileage don't know how to calculate there mileage :dizzy:....... I've been towing trailers of all kinds and sizes for 10 years and can't believe some of these mpg numbers i've read on here....

rungreen
05-19-2010, 11:43 PM
I have a 08 chevy 1500 pulling a 16 ft open trailer with one ztr, it wont get 12 mpg with the trailer on. Have used a 2007 3500 duramax to pull it a few times and it was no better.

Bibbee Lawn Care
05-21-2010, 03:24 AM
My Modified Cummins is good for well over a week on $75.00, driving the hell out of it.

DoetschOutdoor
05-22-2010, 01:25 PM
How much driving do you do where it takes 75 bucks a day for fuel? Even with 5000 accounts, I dont think I could burn 75 a day without crossing state lines.

360ci
05-22-2010, 11:40 PM
How much driving do you do where it takes 75 bucks a day for fuel? Even with 5000 accounts, I dont think I could burn 75 a day without crossing state lines.

If someone tows heavily enough with a gas engine $75 a day isn't all that much, especially if you factor in 12+ hour days. For my longer run I'll go out for 7-8 hours and need $60-65 in fuel (Canadian prices too, so say $50 US). My Durango tows 2000lbs but I have a lot of hills on the route. The shorter route takes 4 hours and I might spend $20 in fuel also towing 2000lbs. If I had to tow 7-8000lbs regularly, I'd be lucky to see 7-8mpg with my 360ci V8.

GravelyNut
05-23-2010, 06:09 AM
How much driving do you do where it takes 75 bucks a day for fuel? Even with 5000 accounts, I dont think I could burn 75 a day without crossing state lines.Heck, $75 wouldn't even get me to the state line down here.

topsites
05-29-2010, 11:49 AM
The problem starts when pulling a trailer, both the transmission and the gear case
need to be designed to withstand the constant strain, further it would help if
the truck's shocks and brake system was extra heavy duty.

That's the first concern, as far as fuel economy, it's ALL in the size of the engine.
Smaller engines get better fuel mileage, plain and simple.

Unfortunately by the time we get into the kind of trucks that can handle the towing
we're usually into 3/4 tons and by now it gets tough to find one with a 6-cylinder.

Plenty of 1/2 tons all around, but more than a few of them won't stand up to towing a trailer every day,
transmission and clutch failures are all too common on these, not to mention you'll go through some brake pads.

Diesels are cheaper on fuel but high on parts and labor, it all adds out.

So there you have it.

DirtMerchant
06-19-2010, 07:53 PM
I burn 150$ in diesel a day, and I usually pay 1$ per litre

2009 ford powerstroke. I'm demoing a 2011 next week.

bobcat_ron
06-19-2010, 08:41 PM
I burn a full tank every 10 days in my 2005 F450, straight open pipes, no emmisions crap.
Heavy pulling (excess of 15,000 pounds) to daily driving.
It gets better economy loaded than empty, and I park it on a downward ramp when I fill it with fuel and let the hose trickle in, man you get another 7 gallons in that tank than when it's on level ground.

Gravel Rat
06-19-2010, 09:39 PM

If you take your concrete shoe off your right foot the truck might get better fuel mileage :laugh:

My F-450 gets 11 mpg and I do drive the truck a little aggressive at times you have to get the 6.0 grin.

Moto52
06-19-2010, 10:51 PM

man your getting ripped off I live in canada and it's only 88.9 for diesel where i live.

GravelyGuy
06-19-2010, 11:35 PM
I decided to switch back to my Tundra for the last couple of weeks to two my enclosed just to compare mileage apples to apples again. My 09 F250 with the 5.4 gets right at 7 MPG with the trailer around town. The Tundra with 5.7 has been getting 8.5-9 MPG with the same load.

Not a huge difference in mileage, but the Tundra pulls the load much easier with power to spare.

bobcat_ron
06-20-2010, 12:01 AM
I decided to switch back to my Tundra for the last couple of weeks to two my enclosed just to compare mileage apples to apples again. My 09 F250 with the 5.4 gets right at 7 MPG with the trailer around town. The Tundra with 5.7 has been getting 8.5-9 MPG with the same load.

Not a huge difference in mileage, but the Tundra pulls the load much easier with power to spare.

I've been behind a Tundra pulling hard up a hill, man their exhaust stinks something terrible.

360ci
06-20-2010, 12:19 AM
I've been behind a Tundra pulling hard up a hill, man their exhaust stinks something terrible.

Cheap gas no doubt! Getting 7mpg on a long trip would almost make me buy the cheap stuff. In the US when I travel I almost always get Shell. It's all about 25% less in the US for regular than here in Canada. We get ripped.

If I tow heavy I don't tow over 60mph. Mind you, my older Dodge feels right at home towing heavy (5500lbs), just not at a quick pace. Even at that speed I can get 10mpg; 16-17mpg without trailer. Towing light I still get close to 16mpg (single axle 2500lb). At 55mph my Dodge doesn't even downshift, torque pulls it right up most grades with ease (5.9L V8).

Tundra's also lighter, don't forget, which would most likely explain the mileage difference with a similar weight trailer. Less aero drag, lower base weight, lower gearing to assist getting up to speed = better mileage.

I love it when folks who don't DRIVE their vehicles regularly, decide to put the pedal down and they literally clean the engine of almost all carbon deposits built up over the last so many months! I love it.

Votum Gardens LLC
06-20-2010, 07:41 AM
I have 2 2500HDs 4x4 Duramax's. One is a reg cab long box (mine), the other is a crew cab short box (the wife's truck). Pulling the gooseneck with the exact same load, I average 14-16 mpg with my truck, the wife's get's around 12-15 mpg. Highway we have gotten 24 mpg with the cc before but it does average around 20 mpg. Mine tends to stay around 18mpg for highway use. Might not work some people, but it works for us.

Phill

scottm1
06-23-2010, 12:15 AM
I have a 02 Ford F250 Super Duty Super Crew cab 4X4 7.3 diesel, auto.... and the BEST I EVER got was 17.6 mpg, totaly empty, all interstate, at 70 mph. Mine is all stock except a large open #6637 air filter. I am happy with that because my dad has an 02 GMC short bed 2WD, reg cab with the small v-8 and gets no better mpg's. The difference is I can pull whatever I put behind my truck(of course mileage drops when towing) while seating 6, and his really is just a 2 seat car with a bed on it. However, even though we both burn about the same amount of fuel per mile unloaded, my fuel costs about 60 cents more per gallon right now though, which am not really happy about. I sometimes pull a 32 foot fifth wheel camper and I will usually get about 12 to 12.5 mpg pulling that, but I have gotten as good as 13.2 one time on a trip that he and I took when we were taking it easy and in no hurry probably never exceeding 65 mph. Of all the post on here, and I am not calling anybody a liar, I can assure you these numbers aren't BS. I have heard of older diesels getting over 20 mpg's, and I had one, but it wasn't an automatic 4 wheel drive. When you have an automatic 4X4, that will knock your mileage in the head for sure. But still, I'm happy with my auto 4X4 getting 17.5 on the highway as I feel that is the best you can hope for in that configuration. I had a 93 Dodge diesel 1 ton dually 2 wheel drive with a 5 speed that would get 20 mpg on the highway, but not with 4X4. Ok, I'm done rambling!!!!