PDA

View Full Version : Walker GHS Clipping problem

Thermocut
03-29-2010, 11:40 PM
I have started a brand new lawn maintenance business and have nailed down more jobs than expected this season, so a lot more clippings than I originally expected. I have low cash reserves (bought and paid for a used 2009 Walker) and I am looking for the best way to deal with all the grass clippings I have once the hopper is full. I looked at buying and adding the bins to the hopper but I am not sure how well that will work and they seem expensive. Does anyone use the bag that Walker sells? What about using a tarp and dumping the clippings on the tarp on the ground or parking lot and then muscling them in to the back of the truck. Once I get a little further into the season I hope to buy a bigger trailer that I will be able to dump the clippings towards the front. Any input would be very much appreciated.

ALC-GregH
03-29-2010, 11:43 PM
Have you considered the high lift dump kit for the mower? If your truck doesn't sit to high that would be a good option to have.

zak406
03-30-2010, 12:16 AM
The company i used to work for had a ramp at the front of the trailer to back into the bed of your pick up/dump truck, worked great i plan on doing that when i get established..

AzLawnMan
03-30-2010, 12:24 AM
I have 3 walker mower and am in the process of buying another, the best way to dump the clippings is to buy the burlap tarps. I will usually buy around 150 a year and we go through them pretty fast. You lay the tarp down on the ground and dump the walker on top. If your working solo, I would suggest only dumping one full load only because 2 loads is too heavy for one guy. When we get busy and I run solo to help catch up I only dump one load, then tie it up and set it on the walker deck then run it up on the trailer. This way Im not dragging the tarp on the ground and risk tearing it, and also I dont have to get tired trying to pull that thing on the trailer. My dump truck crew only has 3 tarps because they put the trash in the dump and re-use the tarps. My other crew carries 15, and on some days they return to the shop fully loaded! They are around $3 a tarp and they will last you a long time. Dont leave clippings in there over night or the tarp will rot and be no good.

The_Duk
03-30-2010, 09:32 AM
the bag is the only way to go... use it everyday, it's a life saver...WELL worth the money... get one...

slplow
03-30-2010, 09:56 AM
When I had walkers I used those blue rubber maid containers that I bought at walmart . I would dump the clipping into 2 of them and tose them into my dump truck. I tried the tarp way ,but found it to be more of a pain in back.

duranlandscaping
03-30-2010, 12:51 PM
Where can you get the burlap tarps?

ALC-GregH
03-30-2010, 01:01 PM
I still think a high dump would work great.

instyle
03-30-2010, 01:40 PM
I have a high lift dump kit. AMAZING! i never get off the machine until i am done cutting. I have a 2500 Ram with box rails and i clear the sides but a good 18". Cats ass!

Thermocut
03-30-2010, 10:41 PM
Thanks folks!!!! I am trying to do this as cheap as possible to start out. But the double ramp one in front was already on the top of my wish list when I can afford it :-).

Drew Gemma
03-30-2010, 10:53 PM
2 cheap containers I stack them on the trailer and replace as needed. F the bag that thing will kill you. Cost and ease containers!

CircleC
03-31-2010, 01:31 AM
I have a Navigator and I just back onto the trailer and dump on a tarp on the trailer, I use a big giant tarp....12x20. I only keep the Nav on the trailer so plenty of room. I never dump anything on the ground, only on the trailer, I dont wanna have to move it twice. Then when I go to the dump, just drag the tarp off the trailer. You couldnt go a week without going to the dump but every other day is fine. Tarp is heavy but workable. I try not to put anything in the back of my pickup truck. Hope that helps....