PDA

View Full Version : I want the old gas cans back!!!!

Goetso
03-30-2010, 02:12 AM
I know this topic has probaly been beat to death already but has any company made a good can yet that will empty in a decent amt of time? I wont even buy thoes EPA cans. They just dont work. Other than going with something like the Tuff Jugs, what else is avaible that is close to the older models? Call me crazy, but my favorite can still is the older Blitz can w/ the yellow spouts and little yelow flapper valve. So quick and easy despite the plastic breaking once in a while.

cgaengineer
03-30-2010, 06:37 AM
Get one of the metal safety cans.

clydebusa
03-30-2010, 06:43 AM
Get one of the metal safety cans.

Double what he said, safer and :weightlifter:

yardatwork
03-30-2010, 07:41 AM
I too HATE the new "safety" spout cans. It's a pathetic world when someone has to regulate a gas spout. I take my spouts off and dump straight from the can...it'll empty fast!

Knight511
03-30-2010, 07:44 AM
At first I was like, "What is wrong with new gas cans?" Then I read your description of the Blitz cans... yup... all three of my cans are the old Blitz ones... :)

DiyDave
03-30-2010, 07:45 AM
I know this topic has probaly been beat to death already but has any company made a good can yet that will empty in a decent amt of time? I wont even buy thoes EPA cans. They just dont work. Other than going with something like the Tuff Jugs, what else is avaible that is close to the older models? Call me crazy, but my favorite can still is the older Blitz can w/ the yellow spouts and little yelow flapper valve. So quick and easy despite the plastic breaking once in a while.

The solution is to vent the new can, by installing a tubeless tire valve stem, sans the core, on the handle of the new can, and cut off that godawful spring loaded valve on the spout, and rig up some sort of new cap for the spout! That'll put you back to the position we were in, before the EPA started messing with fluid dynamics. Always remember that EPA is APE spelled backwards!:laugh::laugh::waving:

hackitdown
03-30-2010, 08:46 AM
The solution is to vent the new can, by installing a tubeless tire valve stem, sans the core, on the handle of the new can, and cut off that godawful spring loaded valve on the spout, and rig up some sort of new cap for the spout! That'll put you back to the position we were in, before the EPA started messing with fluid dynamics. Always remember that EPA is APE spelled backwards!:laugh::laugh::waving:

Venting the can with a valve stem works really well. But use a metal stem, the rubber ones melt.

I'm hoping that my old Blitz spouts make it through the year. The new ones are horrendous.

twotone
03-30-2010, 08:56 AM
Were those the cans that were wide at the bottom and narrow at the top and would not tip over ?

WenzelOSLLC
03-30-2010, 09:03 AM
Im always worried Im going to snap the new valve off. The old ones you could push the spout into the can and it would fit in a nice tight space and if it tipped over I wouldnt worry about breaking it.

Oh, and if you break your valve, they cost almost as much as the can. I think Im going to end up with about a dozen 5 gal cans without lids. :laugh:

Sammy
03-30-2010, 01:13 PM
I try and pick up those old gas cans at yard sales and such.

Just got 3 last week sitting by the road with a "FREE" sign on 'em !

The guy said he wanted to get the new safety cans.

lawnlandscape
03-30-2010, 02:48 PM
:dizzy:The solution is to vent the new can, by installing a tubeless tire valve stem, sans the core, on the handle of the new can, and cut off that godawful spring loaded valve on the spout, and rig up some sort of new cap for the spout! That'll put you back to the position we were in, before the EPA started messing with fluid dynamics. Always remember that EPA is APE spelled backwards!:laugh::laugh::waving:

I would have to be extremely bored or at least 45.3533% crazy before I would spend that much time and energy modifying damn gas can.
But, yes, it is very annoying finding a gas can that works for us.

Hoy landscaping
03-30-2010, 03:07 PM
i hate these new cans. they suck. im happy i have tons of old fuel cans at my farm i can use

yardguy28
03-30-2010, 04:48 PM
i don't mind the new safety cans from blitz. i just don't like the no venting part. the no spill part actually works very well for me. i only use them to fill trimmers, blowers and edgers in the first place so i don't want them to fill to fast or i'd spill all over the place.

i have 2 of the new spill proof nozzle blitz cans and an old blitz can that has a black spout and a yellow cap on it. none of them vent. it's not so much a problem any more because they sit in my enclosed trailer. but i use to keep them in the truck bed and they swell. so i started removing the spouts all together like at every other job and they'd vent while i was working but that got to be time consuming putting spouts on and off all day.

DiyDave
03-30-2010, 06:20 PM
:dizzy:

I would have to be extremely bored or at least 45.3533% crazy before I would spend that much time and energy modifying damn gas can.
But, yes, it is very annoying finding a gas can that works for us.
I resemble that first comment, buddy!:laugh::laugh: But with practice, I can put the vent in in under 10 minutes, which is how long it takes one of those ventless cans to drain, so I'm way ahead by time, anyway!:laugh::laugh:

JCLawn and more
03-30-2010, 06:32 PM
just drill a whole in the back of the can, then screw a bolt into the hole to keep crap from getting in.

touhey33
03-30-2010, 07:25 PM
If you have Dot numbers you should be using an osha approved gas can for transport. I've got the Eagle metal safety can by eagle which is osha approved, but none of the plastic cans I've come across our osha approved. If you got to tractor supply they've got the Eagle cans for $35, and you can get the funnel from them at any ace hardware or online, or buy them with the funnel for about $50.

yardguy28
03-30-2010, 07:59 PM
just to let everyone know you can get the blitz cans at lowes for under $35 and they most definitly are osha approved.

JCLawn and more
03-31-2010, 07:13 AM
osha my eye ball. I am so glad I don't have employees. Osha would would cringe at things I do. If you got dot number, then it should be dot approved, I don't know where you get the osha with that.

yardguy28
03-31-2010, 08:41 AM
osha my eye ball. I am so glad I don't have employees. Osha would would cringe at things I do. If you got dot number, then it should be dot approved, I don't know where you get the osha with that.

this is true as well. i'm wondering if he knows what he's talking about???

if you have DOT numbers like you said it has to be DOT approved NOT OSHA approved.

and those blitz gas cans they sell at lowes ARE OSHA approved so i don't know how he can be having problems finding gas cans.

mdvaden
03-31-2010, 09:28 AM
Wait until refueling becomes so restictive, that it's like appying pesticides and you end up having to fill a record sheet every time you fill.

I can see it someday, when fuel finally becomes more rare.

JCLawn and more
03-31-2010, 04:05 PM
you have to do that with pesticides? ger! I hate government! it sucks! I want them out of my life!

yardguy28
03-31-2010, 05:56 PM
Wait until refueling becomes so restictive, that it's like appying pesticides and you end up having to fill a record sheet every time you fill.

I can see it someday, when fuel finally becomes more rare.

if it gets to that i won't have any problem getting in that habit.

i already keep a record sheet every time i fill up. for tax purposes and for my expenses.

dcg141
03-31-2010, 09:05 PM
There is a solution albeit a pricey one. We are a lawn equipment dealer but we also sell off road motorcycles and the motorcycle industry is getting around the new cans right now by selling "utility jugs". Parts Unlimited has discontinued theirs but Tucker Rocky still has them. They sell for $37 for the jug and $9 for the filler hose and are much better than even older standard gas cans. They are very thick plastic and the filler hose is a better design. Get them while you still can..they last for years if you don't lose them.

touhey33
04-01-2010, 08:45 AM
this is true as well. i'm wondering if he knows what he's talking about???

if you have DOT numbers like you said it has to be DOT approved NOT OSHA approved.

and those blitz gas cans they sell at lowes ARE OSHA approved so i don't know how he can be having problems finding gas cans.

I got it straight from a dot compliance officer and I read the safety regulation. Look it up but, don't tell me I don't know what Im talking about.

Jason Rose
04-01-2010, 12:30 PM
Haha. DOT compliance officer told our group that ANY fuel can, as long as its marked for gasoline and/or red in color, and secured on the trailer was legal to use in our state. I don't know why they refuse to have universal rules.

I bought 3 of the metal justrite UNO cans with the big flex spouts. They are awesome. They flow well, don't leak, are easy to fill and pour with the ability to stop the flow with the can tilted. No expanding in the sun and shrinking at night.

Yeah, they are expensive, but so were the 3 no-spill cans I bought that were worthless. Leak everywhere, had to get replacement spouts which also leak, had to add vents because they flowed at about 1 gpm with no vent... All that effort and they still were more trouble than they were worth. Metal safety cans really are the way to go.
Posted via Mobile Device

mnglocker
04-01-2010, 12:33 PM
I'm going against the grain, I'm resorting to using 1 gallon mason jars, and yes they pour fast.

BGClawns101
04-01-2010, 01:06 PM
if you are using the cans to fill bigger equipment i love these (go to link below) cans they are just great. I have two for the diesel and they are good for filling the skid loader.

http://www.faster-motocross.com/images/15-2001lg.jpg

yardguy28
04-01-2010, 05:14 PM
I got it straight from a dot compliance officer and I read the safety regulation. Look it up but, don't tell me I don't know what Im talking about.

well i will tell you, you don't know what your talking about because i know the blitz cans sold at lowes and most every where else are regulation cans.

i know if you dot numbers you have to follow certain regulations. i don't have the numbers but i'd use the blitz cans either way. i've come across many compliance officers who have seen my rig, gas cans and all. all they where concerned about was my weight........:cool2: :weightlifter: :cool2:

touhey33
04-01-2010, 07:09 PM
[QUOTE=yardguy28;3500684]well i will tell you, you don't know what your talking about because i know the blitz cans sold at lowes and most every where else are regulation cans.

i know if you dot numbers you have to follow certain regulations. i don't have the numbers but i'd use the blitz cans either way. i've come across many compliance officers who have seen my rig, gas cans and all. all they where concerned about was my weight........:cool2: :weightlifter: :cool2:[/QU

Lets just agree to disagree, I think it all depends on how the officer interprets the safetly regs. I think they need to make things more well defined if they want people to follow the rules.

yardguy28
04-01-2010, 07:33 PM
Lets just agree to disagree, I think it all depends on how the officer interprets the safetly regs. I think they need to make things more well defined if they want people to follow the rules.

this is true......

i actually think the whole gas can regulation thing is pretty ridiculous. gas cans wouldn't have been invented with vents if they weren't NEEDED.

thats about the only thing i don't like about the new cans. i've become use to the spill proof nozzle. they actually help me spill less when filling a trimmer, edger or blower.

for a mower i would agree they empty to slow but since i don't fill my mowers this way i don't have that problem.

cush
04-01-2010, 07:58 PM
try nospill.com

BJWLAWNCARE
04-01-2010, 08:04 PM
I bought the old style blitz spouts on ebay for less than 2 bucks a piece. I hate the new no spill tops. I spill more gas with them. I found myself using a funnel and pouring which sucks. Try ebay.

yardguy28
04-02-2010, 07:37 PM
seriously how do you guys spill more gas using the no spill nozzle from blitz??? you just let go of the spout "button" and it stops flowing.

did you know you have to watch the level of the tank when your filling it so you know when to stop filling??? maybe that would help???

cgaengineer
04-02-2010, 11:02 PM
I'm going against the grain, I'm resorting to using 1 gallon mason jars, and yes they pour fast.

I have been using old milk jugs, I am recycling by saving them from the landfill.
Posted via Mobile Device

mnglocker
04-03-2010, 08:19 PM
i have been using old milk jugs, i am recycling by saving them from the landfill.
posted via mobile device

Captain Planet! :weightlifter:

LouisianaLawnboy
04-03-2010, 11:34 PM
I got an extra jerry can or some people call them military cans.

docjohnw1
04-30-2013, 09:20 AM
I have found the solution to the new EPA spout garbage cans! There is a new product on the market called EZ-POUR spout (www.ezpourspout.com) that fits all my old Blitz cans and Midwest cans that we use on a daily basis. I actually bought the Hi-Flow spouts for my diesel cans...wow! I was able to empty 5 gallons of deisel into my Bobcat in less than a minute. For a guy with shoulder problems, this is a blessing!

GrassGuerilla
04-30-2013, 09:38 AM
I have been hoarding the old style ones since I first saw the new EPA schnozzola. Got a bucket of them, and half a pallet of old style light bulbs. The EPA will have to kick in my door before ill give em up.
Posted via Mobile Device

Southern Lawn Care, LLC
04-30-2013, 09:43 AM
When it comes to products such as gas cans, it has to be OSHA approved to even be sold on a shelf of lowes. What the heck is that fella talking about when he says needs to be OSHA approved. When it comes to driving and having DOT numbers I'm far more worried about the DOT than OSHA. The DOT is whom pulls you over not OSHA. But anyways, the lowes cans and tractor supply cans and also the other shelf brand cans are OSHA approved.

clydebusa
04-30-2013, 09:51 AM
I have found the solution to the new EPA spout garbage cans! There is a new product on the market called EZ-POUR spout (www.ezpourspout.com) that fits all my old Blitz cans and Midwest cans that we use on a daily basis. I actually bought the Hi-Flow spouts for my diesel cans...wow! I was able to empty 5 gallons of deisel into my Bobcat in less than a minute. For a guy with shoulder problems, this is a blessing!

I got a couple of these and they work great. If you get the replacement vent tube just turn any can into a vented can.

rlitman
04-30-2013, 11:18 AM
When it comes to products such as gas cans, it has to be OSHA approved to even be sold on a shelf of lowes. What the heck is that fella talking about when he says needs to be OSHA approved. When it comes to driving and having DOT numbers I'm far more worried about the DOT than OSHA. The DOT is whom pulls you over not OSHA. But anyways, the lowes cans and tractor supply cans and also the other shelf brand cans are OSHA approved.

No they do not.

Only Type I and Type II metal safety cans such as the Eagle or Justrite meet OSHA requirements.
http://www.ehow.com/list_6855955_osha-gas-can-regulations.html

The gas cans must have a spring closing lid that relives excess pressure, and a flash arresting screen (such a screen is not available on any plastic gas can that I am aware of).

OSHA approval is only required for use in the workplace. A homeowner has no requirement to use an OSHA container. However, last I looked, Lowes does indeed carry an Eagle Type I metal safety gas can in stores. That would be OSHA approved.

Unfortunately, that does not meet DOT requirements for commercial use. For that, you would need a DOT approved safety can. They are the same as regular steel safety cans, but have a roll cage on the top to protect the caps, and a pricetag that is tripled or more.

zackvbra
04-30-2013, 12:19 PM
I was just thinking this the other day when i was searching for another gas can. I went all around town looking for a regular non safety gas can! no body has them. Im glad i already have a regular normal 5 gallons and 2 gallon gas can. I better take good care of it.

TuffTurfLawnCare
04-30-2013, 12:54 PM
I was just thinking this the other day when i was searching for another gas can. I went all around town looking for a regular non safety gas can! no body has them. Im glad i already have a regular normal 5 gallons and 2 gallon gas can. I better take good care of it.

do a search for race fuel cans. Summit racing has them even some local sunoco and shell stations carry them here. they are vented, and have long pour hoses, and come in a variety of colors for different fuels.

for some of my.other cans I used screw in valve stems with the core removed. be sure to use the black valve caps as the seal in the metal ones will deteriorate from the fuel vapor.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v732/regalracer1979/20130324_140643_zpsb8bd0af7.jpg

Southern Lawn Care, LLC
04-30-2013, 10:36 PM
No they do not.

Only Type I and Type II metal safety cans such as the Eagle or Justrite meet OSHA requirements.
http://www.ehow.com/list_6855955_osha-gas-can-regulations.html

The gas cans must have a spring closing lid that relives excess pressure, and a flash arresting screen (such a screen is not available on any plastic gas can that I am aware of).

OSHA approval is only required for use in the workplace. A homeowner has no requirement to use an OSHA container. However, last I looked, Lowes does indeed carry an Eagle Type I metal safety gas can in stores. That would be OSHA approved.

Unfortunately, that does not meet DOT requirements for commercial use. For that, you would need a DOT approved safety can. They are the same as regular steel safety cans, but have a roll cage on the top to protect the caps, and a pricetag that is tripled or more.

I was a little in clear. I would be more concerned with the DOT regs more so than the OSHA regs. I know for fact the cans at lowes where I'm employed as a manager over seasonal and garden center areas do have OSHA approved cans. BUT like you said for home owners it doesn't matter. We have the metal cans but they are not protected on the nozzle end.

JCLawn and more
04-30-2013, 10:37 PM
I have been hoarding the old style ones since I first saw the new EPA schnozzola. Got a bucket of them, and half a pallet of old style light bulbs. The EPA will have to kick in my door before ill give em up.
Posted via Mobile Device

You got a semi load of full sulfur diesel fuel too? :laugh:

GrassGuerilla
04-30-2013, 10:38 PM
You got a semi load of full sulfur diesel fuel too? :laugh:

If I did, I wouldn't tell anybody.
Posted via Mobile Device

weeze
04-30-2013, 11:07 PM
i fooled around with modifying the blitz cans, trying ez pour spouts, and so forth last season but this season i just went and bought the no spill gas cans. they are the best for the money.

i'm sure the metal safety cans are great but they are too expensive. i heard the 5 gallon one the spout is too large to fit into the opening on trimmers and blowers so that would suck since i run 4 stroke honda and husqvarna trimmers.

i haven't had any issues with the no spill cans.

herler
04-30-2013, 11:07 PM
Well...
You will most likely NEVER get those old style cans back, ever again.
Not in this lifetime, not in your children's, and not in their children's, either.

Y'all do know why, right?
No, it's not because we'll run out long before, either.

It only happens in the United States.
No place else in the world, but here.

You do know why?

Same reason behind child-proof lighters.

Hint:
It has LESS to do with actual safety.
And MORE about insurance against a certain type of "free ride."

weeze
04-30-2013, 11:15 PM
1/2 this country is getting a free ride on welfare, disability, unemployment, etc.

they know full well they are perfectly capable of working a job like the rest of us.

GrassGuerilla
05-01-2013, 07:03 AM
Well...
You will most likely NEVER get those old style cans back, ever again.
Not in this lifetime, not in your children's, and not in their children's, either.

Y'all do know why, right?
No, it's not because we'll run out long before, either.

It only happens in the United States.
No place else in the world, but here.

You do know why?

Same reason behind child-proof lighters.

Hint:
It has LESS to do with actual safety.
And MORE about insurance against a certain type of "free ride."

Are you going to call the police every time you see an old one?
Posted via Mobile Device

herler
05-01-2013, 07:54 AM
1/2 this country is getting a free ride on welfare, disability, unemployment, etc.

And the other half 'gets it' on the liability lawsuit gravy train.

Are you going to call the police every time you see an old one?
Posted via Mobile Device

They're not illegal.

Unlicensed weapons however, are.

On the other hand if you find one maybe you, too, can sue the manufacturer after you catch yourself on fire.
Get a free ride, like everyone else.

gusbuster
05-01-2013, 08:45 AM
do a search for race fuel cans. Summit racing has them even some local sunoco and shell stations carry them here. they are vented, and have long pour hoses, and come in a variety of colors for different fuels.

for some of my.other cans I used screw in valve stems with the core removed. be sure to use the black valve caps as the seal in the metal ones will deteriorate from the fuel vapor.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v732/regalracer1979/20130324_140643_zpsb8bd0af7.jpg

too much effort

But I wished I would of thought about that.

However, its not about safety( venting of gas, somebody goes by with lit cig, .....boom, not that kind of safety).....These so called safety cans are about the vapors that are emitted from the gas cans and cause air pollutions. It's always been about that, not spilling gas.

The above pictured would never get c.a.r.b. compliance which is the reason why you see these really poor designed gas cans.

The best one out there and somebody mentioned it..NoSpill cans. Full life time warranty and empty a five gallon can in short time, 1.5 to 2 minutes.

Like i said, not about spilling gas, but vapor containment.

john

ProStreetCamaro
05-01-2013, 10:36 PM
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performance+Products/555/80211/10002/-1

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/80218/10002/-1

Problem solved. Not only that but they actually hold 6 gallons and the spout is huge and pours very fast.

JDGlandscape
05-01-2013, 11:40 PM
People always talk about having cans that are DOT approved, but how many people have actually been pulled over by DOT and harassed about their gas cans?

I only ask because two years ago I was pulled over a couple times (they set up checkpoints and pull everyone over) and they never cared about my cans, other than if they were strapped down, got a ticket for that. But just today I was pulled over by another checkpoint by DOT officers. They had about 5 of them there with about 7 trucks in the area with me all getting inspections. At the end of the inspection (I only asked because I didnt have any cans with me) but I asked him what are approved gas cans that can be used by landscapers. He was kind of taken aback and didnt really know what to say. He said that hes been doing the DOT inspections for about 5 years with countless other officers and they have never once cared about what type of cans you use. He even pulled aside a superior and they said that usually if everything else checks out they arent really concerned about the gas can as long as they are in good shape and are not leaking everywhere. He said they dont even think about them in their inspections.

GrassGuerilla
05-02-2013, 12:23 AM
too much effort

But I wished I would of thought about that.

However, its not about safety( venting of gas, somebody goes by with lit cig, .....boom, not that kind of safety).....These so called safety cans are about the vapors that are emitted from the gas cans and cause air pollutions. It's always been about that, not spilling gas.

The above pictured would never get c.a.r.b. compliance which is the reason why you see these really poor designed gas cans.

The best one out there and somebody mentioned it..NoSpill cans. Full life time warranty and empty a five gallon can in short time, 1.5 to 2 minutes.

Like i said, not about spilling gas, but vapor containment.

john

Shhhh. I'm hoping Herler will set himself on fire to prove it can't be done with the new cans. He seems certain they are a response to frivolous lawsuits.
Posted via Mobile Device